How to work out how it crashed

Hi,

Twice in 2 days, at different times of the day, my server has crashed.

I've always been able to ping the server, but I can't access it in anway, no http, no mail, no ssh.
    It's fine after rebooted, but it's happened twice in 2 days, so i'm guessing there is a problem.
    It's not the network, since EZZI was always up, and it worked after I had it rebooted.

My question is, how can I trace back to find out what the problem was?

My server is FC2 with cPanel 10.
    Andrew Thomas

Ask them to take a look at it and see if there was a kernel panic, look at the logs, particularly /var/log/messages
    James Lumby

There should be something wrong with the kernel. You can have the kernel checked or you can better have it upgraded.

Have them check the logs as stated and the RAM and hard disks if necessary. I had some really nasty server issues due to a defective stick of RAM.

i had such incidents too at EZZI once..

EZZI said they were always up but appearently they were unplugging the server a couple of times because my reseller didnt pay for my server, and then i was theft for a a few hunderd bucks :/

But it could be the OS as well

check your hard disk and Kernel if possible

Re: How to work out how it crashed

Originally posted by thomas7
    Hi,

Twice in 2 days, at different times of the day, my server has crashed.

I've always been able to ping the server, but I can't access it in anway, no http, no mail, no ssh.
    It's fine after rebooted, but it's happened twice in 2 days, so i'm guessing there is a problem.
    It's not the network, since EZZI was always up, and it worked after I had it rebooted.

My question is, how can I trace back to find out what the problem was?

My server is FC2 with cPanel 10.
    Those are classic high load symptoms. You can ping the server fine, but nothing is working. That is what happens when the server is at a super high load. Usually when I see this it's due to an httpd flood or something crazy going on with mysql that causes the load on the server to skyrocket, effectively shutting down the server. The server is still online so it responds to pings without a problem. Take note... this is why ping monitoring is useless.

Sometimes it's random and doesn't happen again. Otherwise, I simply log into the server, run top, and wait to catch it to see what is killing the server. However, if your problem is not related to load then your guess is as good as mine.