Sharing Bad Experience

Hello,

Allow me to share my experience with my current host (that I would leave very very soon):

I have been a customer of affordablehost.com since 19 December 2003 (reseller package). There have been some problems with this host that I have to put up with (downtimes, script exploitation, etc).
    Recently they were acquired by a company called dotcanada.com.
    This acquisition someway somehow made me unable to pay my monthly billing because my credit card (VISA) was rejected; this credit card is the same one that I've been using to pay them from the first day I signed up.

I submit a ticket explaining this problem. The reply from the support guy was: That my credit card did not pass their "negative database check" and that I should check the credit card company whether they allowed "this type of transaction"; I assume online transaction.

I asked my credit card company and they said they did not restrict any type of online transaction.
    Out of curiosity I renew one of my domains (from a different company) early, the transaction was smooth as ever.

I then resubmit a ticket explaining that my credit card company did not restrict any type of online transaction and that I had just renew my domain with this credit card smoothly.
    The support guy then told me I should retry to pay my bill because their credit card database has just been updated.
    I retry and had the same problem.

This has been going on for some time, then I received a letter that my account will be suspended since it is past due, it is past due because of this issue.

So I retry to do the payment and again was rejected.
    I resubmit another ticket describing them how my credit card was again rejected and told them that I have this "past due" letter.
    Their reply was: They told me of another way to pay and gave me the link with some login info and told me that I should do my payment immediately to avoid suspension.
    So I click the link and apparently it took me to a 3rd party online payment company so I can pay my bill through them.

In this day and age they should know that a customer would not like the idea of giving him/her critical information away to another company just so that he/she can continue the service from the first company. I would not send my customers to any 3rd party company telling them to signup and gave their credit card information so that they can pay me for whatever services.

This bundle of bad treatment made me think that I should address this to someone higher in the company's hierarchy.
    So I decided to e-mail the president/owner and the reply was an automated reply saying the person has changed the address and the sign at the bottom it read "axishost.com" not "affordablehost.com".
    Apparently the owner has either moved to or formed another hosting company.

Stay away from them people!

Can you mention here how and why you have selected your present host, and what special measurement now you shall put for selection of a new host if so?

I think it will helpful to others especially the newbie’s for selection of a reliable host.

Re: Sharing Bad Experience

Originally posted by kopi
    Hello,

So I decided to e-mail the president/owner and the reply was an automated reply saying the person has changed the address and the sign at the bottom it read "axishost.com" not "affordablehost.com".
    Apparently the owner has either moved to or formed another hosting company.

Stay away from them people!

I am NOT affiliated with affordablehost.com anymore. There was a huge announcement, sent out to all customers and also very highly publicized here and other forums, that I sold affordablehost.com to dotCanada over a month ago. You should have your correct email address on file with them to make sure you get important announcements like that.

Also, my email address should NOT be on their website or listed as a contact for them in any way. If you tried to contact me through any method offered by them - please let me know so that I can have them remove my contact information immediately.

We would never send a long-term customer to a 3rd party processor, to process a credit card payment (we have our own merchant account), and we don't use any sort of commercial fraud screening such as a 'negative' database. Anytime a payment or order is rejected by us, its because a human being actually looked at the order and found it suspicious.

In other words, I want to make it very clear, if you're having any sort of problem with your affordablehost.com account - its *not* with our company. We're AxisHOST and have no affiliation with affordablehost.com.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

kopi, have you read any of the threads about affordablehost.com here ???

There are many. Use the Search button, at the top of the page, here at WHT. Search for affordablehost.com as well as dotcanada. I think it will explain A LOT.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

RE: etechsupport2

Originally posted by etechsupport2
    Can you mention here how and why you have selected your present host,
    I was referred to by my own client-acquintance that year (I sold PC and LAN hardware solutions). He was in some web script programming business so I thought he knows more about the web world than I did.

and what special measurement now you shall put for selection of a new host if so?
    I wish I can answer that easily but I can't.

I think I should go back to the old way:
    1. Define my needs.
    2. Find companies (products) who can answer my needs.
    3. Have an extensive research on this companies.
    4. Make a decision.

This took a lot of effort and may lead to another mistake but at least allowed me to make continuously refined decisions.

Can you put some suggestion or guideline here in short which you think, will helpful especially to the newbie’s for selecting a reliable host?

Can you put some suggestion or guideline here in short which you think, will helpful especially to the newbie’s for selecting a reliable host?
    etech, may I ask, why are you asking him these questions?

There are hundreds of thousands of other posts where newbies experiencing host trouble have already provided the answers to your research. If you have something to contribute, e.g., help the poster, cool. Otherwise it's a pretty sure bet that giving him the 20 questions is not going to help him sort out what's going on with his credit card, or the situation with affordablehost/dotcanada ...

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Nobody has come forward to help him or guide him properly till now.

My intention purely was only to get his idea now, about selection of a host provider which can be helpful to those victims who has already faced such problem.

I wanted to divert you people here to share some insight, experience or valuable suggestion at least which will be beneficial to others.
    we should suggest him with empathy.