Review: serverpronto.com Starter Package at 1 month

How low can you go with the price of a dedicated server? $49? $39?

Serverpronto has value dedicated servers for $29 a month with hefty setup fee of $149 reduced in an everlasting (or so it seems) promotion to $69. The server is an AMD Athlon 2000+ (I actually got a free upgrade to 2400+), with 256 meg of RAM and 40 GB HDD. Bandwidth allotment is 200 GB on a 100 Mbps port (watch out - overage is expensive!).

Executive summary
    If you know what you are doing and you have a low traffic server (200 GB is not that much) this is an excellent bargain. Jump on it while it lasts.

Longer version
    I was looking to offload my "non profit" (friends and family) hosting to some cheap dedicated server. As an added benefit I could test that provider performance with minimal impact. I found serverpronto here on WHT, with less than stellar reviews. I decided to try them, as all the reviews I saw were a little dated. They were also one of very few companies openly admitting to having my personal favorite gentoo linux as one of their "official" options.

Ordering and setup
    Filled out a standard order form, chose "no control panel" and "gentoo linux" as options, gave them CC details. Shortly thereafter I got a confirmation email (it was about midnight). I got another email at about 3 am with an invoice and a welcome email at about 5 pm later that day. From order to live: 17 hours.

Initial troubles
    Logged in without problems, my server was set up with older 2004.1 gentoo setup, so I promptly started the upgrade process. Although I asked for no control panel, webmin was installed, enabled and running when I first logged in. No big deal. Shut it down, unmerged, gone. Over the weeked I would randomly lose connectivity to my server (in the middle of an upload, too - very annoying). I traced the problem to a duplicate IP on their network (no VLANs). I submitted a ticket, I got initial answer in about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Not bad at all for a Saturday. The answer was that they are working on it. They came back next morning (Sunday) and said that they have no trace of it happening, but offered to move me to a different IP if the problem reappears. Sure enough, a few hours later, my server goes offline again. They tried to add a static ARP entry to the switch, but probably mistyped my MAC address, as the server was completely unreachable. Monday morning, after another ticket, it reappeared, but it seems that they restarted it in a single user mode and left it that way. Another ticket took care of that, but my problem happened again. At this time I just asked to be moved to a new IP. They assigned me new IP address within 20 minutes and I have been up ever since then.

The problem was that someone assigned one less IP than mine was "borrowing" my IP for his server. Apparently you can do that in cpanel (that's what he was using).

I was offered second IP for free as a compensation for my trouble. Considering that they charge $10 (one time fee) for each IP over one it was a good bargain, so I happily took it (I needed it anyway).

Network performance and stability
    Ever since I have the duplicate IP issue resolved I have had no other outages. However, my ssh sessions would still randomly disconnect (no, it's not a config issue, because I have the same config on my other servers and I never get disconnected there). Performance-wise, I can max out my 6Mbps cable connection and my 3.5 Mbps DSL connection at the same time. Definitely cannot complain here.

Billing
    Not much to report here - promised $80 discount was reflected on my credit card statement, the second billing was at $29.99 as promised. Quick and accurate.

Summary
    If the network and the server are as stable as they were this past month I would stay with them and probably bring more business to them in the future.

Watch out for service fees
    You cannot underestimate their service fees though. $15 for a support ticket (first 2 per month free), $69 for a system reload, $0.89 per GB of overage, $29 for a second and subsequent reboots in any given month. These can quickly add up and erase any gains from the cheap monthly price if you don't play carefully.

I think you'll be pleasently suprised. I've been running one of their $29 servers for about a year and a half now, and it's been quite stable. The only thing that really causes problems from time to time is Cogent getting their wires crossed, but this sort of thing is usually resolved quickly. My uptimes on that box have been dictated mostly by kernel upgrade reboots.

I can't vouch for the support though. Rarely if ever needed to use it.

I have been with ServerPronto for about 2 months now and have been very satisfied. Ill write up a review on my next billing cycle
    Last edited by datruesurfer; 05-19-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Hi rotoiti,

How much tickets did you submit during the ip troubles overall? Did they continue the conversation on a single ticket, or every time you wanted to pass them a message, you opened a new one?

I was reopening the same ticket. Needed to do that six times to get it resolved. I could have gotten this matter resolved earlier (by agreeing to reassignment of IPs), but I liked the IP address numbers they assigned me (lame, I know). I just wasn't in a big hurry.

Originally posted by rotoiti
    I was reopening the same ticket. Needed to do that six times to get it resolved. I could have gotten this matter resolved earlier (reassignment of IPs), but I liked the IP address numbers they assigned me (lame, I know). I wasn't in a big hurry, either.
    Not lame at all I have gotten so used to my ServerPronto IP, that I have memorized it for ssh and ping.

Originally posted by datruesurfer
    Not lame at all
    Good to know I am not completely crazy yet