View Poll Results: What carrier should we add next?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Abovenet

7 18.42%
  • AT&T

6 15.79%
  • Global Crossing

4 10.53%
  • Telia

1 2.63%
  • UUNet/MCI

14 36.84%
  • Verio

1 2.63%
  • Williams

2 5.26%
  • XO

2 5.26%
  • Other

1 2.63%

Which Carrier Should We Add?

After getting our Cogent line up and running we are now looking to add another carrier. We currently have lines from Savvis, Level(3), BtN, and Cogent. You can ping us at 205.218.64.4 to see where some deficiencies might be. What carrier do you think would make the most sense for us to add next? The reasoning behind your decision, etc. would be appreciated, as just having a list of numbers isn't that useful.

We have it pretty much narrowed down, I am just wondering what you guys think makes the most sense. You can never have too much information when making such a decision.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

I voted for ATT. My reasoning is, they have overloaded peering sessions with some providers/locations, and it would help to improve performance to those stuck on ATT bandwidth.

I would go with UUNet/MCI and Sprint (not listed)
    ^_^

Originally posted by Francisco
    I would go with UUNet/MCI and Sprint (not listed)
    Sprint is still doing something in the IP realm? Haven't been hearing much about them lately. I know they used to be one of the major players, but they seem to have been slowly deteriorating.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

My vote goes to MCI/UUNet. With BTN you have Asia pretty well covered, so that takes out Global Crossing in my opinion. Savvis & Level3 cover South America pretty well, and eastern Europe. Adding UUNet/MCI strengthens your network even further all around.

Is my opinion valued any higher since I'm a client?

What's BTN, never heard of them?

PCC BTN = Beyond The Network. They're what some refer to as a tier 2 ISP, but have amazing routing worldwide especially to Asian, & Japan.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 05-18-2005 at 11:41 PM.

InterNAP: Since you are famous for your network quality
    Otherwise: UUNet

Just going to add some notes. Would Global Crossing be good for West Coast routes as well, not just Asia. Also, I don't see any need to add InterNAP as we already have two of the carriers InterNAP uses and we can easily add another here.

The main thing scaring me off from of Abovenet is their financials. As for MCI, does anyone have any ideas how the deal with Verizon will affect their quality?

karl ever thought about mzima? They have pretty nice routes i have found.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I would think Verizon's purchase of MCI would improve their quality over time. It gives them a stable financial ground for the first time in a while and Verizon has alot of cash at their disposal.

My vote would go for MCI or AT&T don't forget AT&T should also be on stable financial ground once the SBC deal goes through.
    Last edited by tkam; 05-19-2005 at 12:27 AM.

We are very happy with above -- no issues whatsoever, better reliability than Level3. Not the best west coast coverage though.
    bye

Karl,

//begins begging session:

UUNet UUNet UUNet UUNet UUNet UUNet UUNet

Hopefully that just about clears up any questions you have
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I voted for UUNet/MCI since they are still about the biggest networkk/backbone out there with pretty much everything covered. It would be a great addition to your network and could do nothing but strengthen it.
    James Lumby

I vote Abovenet
    WHMCS Services - sales (at) whmcsservices.com
    WHMCS Development | WHMCS Addons / Modules

I definitely vote for MCI/UUNET.