Is there ANY way @ all to get .gov domains?

I know some people in UK got .gov domains some time ago... maybe it was just scam.. i just wonder, is there any way at all to get .gov domain name for business ? If yes, then what type of biz it must be?

No, it's for US government agencies only.

I don't think so

yea I dont think its possible unless you have a few connections with goverment agentcys.

.gov domains are only for US government agencies. I think itís about trust. If you visit a .gov domain can you be sure that itís an official us government site and not a business website or anything else.

Are you sure those people in the UK got .gov domains and not .gov.uk ones?

The question is: WHY would you need a .gov domain?
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Originally posted by nameslave
    The question is: WHY would you need a .gov domain?
    To put up a gripe site against the government?

^ that would probably attract more attention then the government sites!

Talking

Start your own government !

Then you can have as many .gov sites as you want ...

Any two bit crook can have a government so it seems these days. In fact it seems to be ONLY two bit crooks that can have governments these days!

.gov and .edu was open to the world back in 90s but not its limited to US gov/edu only and other countries can have .gov.xx and .edu.xx (replacing xx with their country name or some has .ac.xx even...)
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Some indstitutions outside the US still got .edu at least. For example www.diku.edu
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.

even Kuwait University has www.kuniv.edu but that was in the OLD days before the rules got changed.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

To bad a lot of people did not register .edu sites back then... if they would know its only for USA now

...but .gov was open for the world... as usual people was able to register .gov ? @ Bashar? Or like other gov agencies only ? Would have been cool to register newWorldOrder.gov or something like that ... but yeah... no point to talk "what if.."

In estonia, the .ee domains are limited for example only for one domain for one business or organization, usual people cant just register it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ee ). To bad i was to late to register http://ee.ee/ - we was thinking about it back then.. im sore some company would pay a lot of money for this now

So and like i understand, .pro TLD can be used for anything by anyone as long its registered by doctor (or someone like that)?

sorry for dumping, just did not want to start new thread for this little thought !
    Last edited by Waffa; 04-03-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Not a chance. Though I do recall a mistake by .mil operators that let people register any .mil they liked... but that has been patched since :-D
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out our WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks (Updated: Sep 2016), the most comprehensive look at WP performance

Is there a .god domain for religious institutions?