Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pricing gone crazy! What the....

Can somebody tell me what is going on out there?

$4.95 - $9.95 for 1000Mb????

here's my logic: on an 80gb HD only about 74 is available after the server is set up and hardened. So if you're not going to max it out, only about 65- 70gb is available to sell. That means that these guys are either overselling the server or they are hosting 65 people per server. So at $9.95 per gb, you're making about $650 but having to pay about $180 a month for the server. Am I missing something?

I'm starting to see this more but I do notice that many of us are still charging $19.95 and up for the same thing.

Do tell because I am lost in trying to figure this one out. If not for volume, how is anybody making money? and are you also in the $4.95 - $9.95 price range for 1000Mb?

Overselling... that and maybe they have bigger harddrives and such... but mostly overselling.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

so then that means they're betting the customer won't use all the space and what happens when people actually do start using the space?

Originally posted by LadyHost
    so then that means they're betting the customer won't use all the space and what happens when people actually do start using the space?
    Then either they start moving people to a new server or upgrading the current one to compensate... or they start getting bad posts and start losing customers.

Overselling is key to full utilization of your servers, but you do have to watch it. We decided for our situation, we would rather not oversell our servers and deal with that problem, and just generate less revenue per server, than to have to watch them closely as they fill even AFTER we have stopped adding new accounts.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

Understood but somehow the whole overselling concept just seems wrong.

Oversubscribing (not overselling) has been around in the ISP days since the Internet was born. The consumers don't realize it but it actually helps them by reducing the prices to an acceptable level.

The fact of the matter is that the majority of customers use nowhere near what they are alotted. As long as the provider can deliver what they promise to their customers, I dont see what the issue is.

It is if you don't properly manage it, because then you have overloaded servers which crash/go flakey and nobody has any fun.

If the average hosting client only uses 50% of their space and bandwidth, would you not agree that you could 'safely' consider selling 125% of your resources instead of just 100%, to fill out your server a little more and maximize your per-server ROI?

i guess most of them just oversell, at 70% of server usage, once its over they will just get a new server and migrate them.

And I would venture 50% is a little high. We have a reseller with 60GB bandwidth who uses 8GB... and it seems similar across the board.

Ok so maybe I'm just misunderstanding the concept then.

Overselling is a somewhat temporary strategy to boost revenue by volume and then you just go from there depending on your business plan?

Ok, now that doesn't sound so wrong. I was thinking it was just an arbitrary stuffing of the servers so you get maximum dollar and the customer just takes the hit since they rolled the dice on the plan in the first place - as far as service goes.

Overselling is the name of the game.

The trouble is, these companies are being entirely stupid about growing their profits. If you give a customer 1 GB of disk space, and on average they only fill up 400 MB of it, they why on earth should they ever need to upgrade?!

$9.95 should be your entry level plan, and then build in a reason to upgrade. One way we build a reason to upgrade is to limit disk space on the cheaper plans so that as they fill the space up, they have to upgrade. That means more $ for the hosting company. A successful business absolutely HAS to be built on a growth model, or it will not succeed in the long run. That's just Business 101. There's no other way for a business to survive.

Well now hosting companies are giving away disk space like it is an intangible and limitless. It's stupid, because it isn't limitless, it's a finite commodity. Plus the analysis above is very conservative because there isn't enough space allocated to logs. Logs are huge and the longer the server is online, and the busier the sites are, the larger the logfiles get.

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous, and as you can tell, really has me annoyed right now.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

It's not really temporary. It can be done properly and not have service effected.

Say you told out all the space on your server with 50 1gb reseller accounts.

Now say they are only using collectivly 20GB of space, and have been for the past 3 months.

Would you continue to under utilize the server, or would you bring the server closer to full utilization (not stuffing, but cautiously adding more users on the server, making sure you don't end up in a severly overloaded situation).