Best for my needs?

Sorry guys, it's another "who's the best" question. But I find the $40 to $80 per month VPS market is in extreme flux, so the answer to "which are the best VPS providers in terms of site uptime, line speed, quick support and company stability" will probably be different now than just 4 months ago. Back in Oct. `04 I went with one of the most constantly praised companies on WHT: Dinix. Oy did I get burned.

Right now I'm narrowed to Servint, SteadfastNetworks, VPSColo and PowerVPS, in about that order. Anything bad to say about any of these? Anything particularly good to say? Any other company you can seriously put alongside these?

Of #1 importance to my current main client is reliability of email services.

Thx,
    Brikface

Brikface,

When you say reliability of e-mail services - I assume you'll be then looking for a managed VPS rather than one that you manage on your own?

I have not had any experience with any of the said companies - I've been on a lot of their hardware on behalf of other users but haven't dealt with their support (other than steadfast - I have a server with them).
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by HP-David
    Brikface,

When you say reliability of e-mail services - I assume you'll be then looking for a managed VPS rather than one that you manage on your own?
    Yes, at least partially managed. I'm capable of self-management but due to health problems I won't have the time/energy to do it properly.

--
    Brikface

Brikface,

I've always found the best thing to do is to get the management elsewhere - keep all of your eggs in a different basket.

That said the companies you've listed (although I would scratch VPScolo off of there, they were recently purchased by another company and you might go through a dinix.style owning) are good providers - test their support, see what their 'management' means and give one of them a go.

Don't forget to let us know how it goes!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by HP-David
    Brikface,

I've always found the best thing to do is to get the management elsewhere - keep all of your eggs in a different basket.

That said the companies you've listed (although I would scratch VPScolo off of there, they were recently purchased by another company and you might go through a dinix.style owning) are good providers - test their support, see what their 'management' means and give one of them a go.

Don't forget to let us know how it goes!
    Thx HP-David, especially for that tidbit on VPSColo. Change-of-ownership is not necessarily a bad thing, but in the VPS world it almost always means something is a little past ripe. The VPSColo people may have built up a really nice service and then decided it was cashout time. Good for them, but not necessarily for us... I've had more than enough of ownership issues. I want what I'm paying for to fly n' devil take the backoffice melodramas.

I'm all but settled on SteadfastNetworks. Servint looks really good, but after what I've been through it's not a plus (as they seem to think it is) that they were founded by a 19 year-old dude a few years back. Steadfast is under a larger company that seems dedicated to staying in existence in its current form with its current people for a while. Plus it looks like they have Level3 as their main carrier, a big plus in my book. I'll be back to report.

--
    Brikface

I've had great expericence with PowerVPS so far. Their Easy Start program & great tech support make it a simple solution.

I can't post a URL, but here is some info on it, aslo check out their web site at powervps.com/easystart.php

Easy Start
    PowerVPS's Easy Start program has been developed for those who are new to virtual private servers. The move from shared or reseller hosting to a VPS platform can be a big change. We recognized this and have tailored our packages and services to ensure the transition is as easy as possible.

Originally posted by adloc
    I've had great expericence with PowerVPS so far.
    Thx for the feedback adloc. Actually I stumbled on some discouraging info about SteadFast and I'm now choosing between Servint and PowerVPS. It's easy to see on the PowerVPS forums that folks have been happy there over the last couple of months. Do you happen to know anyone who's been with them for at least a year and who can say their VPS sites and all associated services (particularly email) have been stable and fast the whole time?

Unfortunately it's a pattern in this market: service is great for a period of 3-6 months and then, probably due to server overcrowding and the techs getting in over their heads, things go downhill fast and the company never really does what's needed to put things back on a solid footing.

--
    Brikface

I'm just wondering, but what discouraging information did you find? We do not hide anything, etc., so if you found something negative I would like a chance to confirm/deny/defend. I know there have been several unfounded rumors spread by a couple of my competitors. I'm not sure if it is that which you are refering to or not.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Originally posted by KarlZimmer
    I'm just wondering, but what discouraging information did you find? We do not hide anything, etc., so if you found something negative I would like a chance to confirm/deny/defend. I know there have been several unfounded rumors spread by a couple of my competitors. I'm not sure if it is that which you are refering to or not.
    Sorry I don't have time to hunt down urls, but if I remember correctly there was a thread in your own forums as well as a few posts in a long WHT thread indicating some pretty significant VPS downtime with SteadFast. Nothing horrendous like what I just went through with Dinix, but more than a couple of hours. The poster on WHT (he sounded like a customer, not a competitor) was unhappy not only about the downtime but also with the lack of any response for an extended time. If I fell into a disinformation trap, I apologize.

If this really gets under your skin I'll try to retrace my steps and get the urls.

--
    BF

Originally posted by Brikface
    Sorry I don't have time to hunt down urls, but if I remember correctly there was a thread in your own forums as well as a few posts in a long WHT thread indicating some pretty significant VPS downtime with SteadFast. Nothing horrendous like what I just went through with Dinix, but more than a couple of hours. The poster on WHT (he sounded like a customer, not a competitor) was unhappy not only about the downtime but also with the lack of any response for an extended time. If I fell into a disinformation trap, I apologize.

If this really gets under your skin I'll try to retrace my steps and get the urls.

--
    BF
    Correct, we had been using FreeVPS for our VPS system for a good period of time before we switched to Virtuozz a couple months ago. The FreeVPS system had worked well, until the systems got under some load, and then they just did not remain stable. We worked together with the FreeVPS team and simply could not get them stable. During that time period we did not charge the VPS customers for service, granting them all free months of service. Since then we have changed to Virtuozzo, which has proven to be a stable enterprise level solution and since then we have had no issues.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers