When Good Hosts Go Bad

Right now I'm hosted by a company that I found on this site and all was swell for several months but now their phone lines are shutting down and they have stopped responding to my support requests.
    This is a shame too, because I really liked them when I first signed up.

Anyways, I now am looking for a new host, before it's too late.

I run a lightly modded PHPbb forum that uses about 7 GB a month in bandwidth and takes up about a gig+ in disk space.

The only thing that I need that may be a little different configuration setting on the PHP server that allows my attachment mod to work correctly.

Code:
    max_execution_time
    memory_limit
    post_max_size
    file_uploads
    upload_max_filesize
    So far, I'm unable to find a host that does not want me to pay a year in advance and/or a set up fee or want an arm and a leg for the disk space.
    Right now I'm paying about 10 a month but I will pay more for a good company. I'm NOT looking for the cheapest, I just want one that knows what they are doing and will pick up the phone if I call.

Am I being unreasonable here?

You can add a .htaccess file to a directory to allow larger uploads if I'm correct

Some hosts allow you to edit your own php.ini which would allow you to change all the settings you mentioned.
    John Masterson
    Former Hosting Company Owner

Jimbo1965,

Each of those variables you've mentioned will need a value - any specific ones you are looking for?

That said there are quite a few hosts who can meet your needs and requirements - all the while still being able to keep the lines of communication open.

Just a note: the majority of those settings are easy to modify using .htaccess or php.ini within each of the folders you have that need those settings, your host may (if you can still reach them at all) allow you to modify them without any issues.

Doublecheck with any that you're considering first!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

www.phpbb.com should have everything you want to know about the php systems/commands.

Good Luck.

Have a nice day.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

Northtrex,

Number of clients have nothing to do with the loads of server.
    I could put ten thousand chickens in a semitruck but only two elephants in the same one, why?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

haha David. Thats true though. It you have static sites with not that many images you can host tons of sites...

you could check out Lunarpages.com they host a few sites of mine and are really good.

they answer support emails normally within an hour or 2 and their phone support is great.

they also allow you to have your own php.ini

HP-David,

I agree with you but :

If in average your clients use a lot of ressources 0.5% of the time (cron jobs, backup ect...) then there is more chance that your server with 600 clients get in troubles before the one with 250 clients does

We experienced this situation more than one time. Now we limit all our servers to 300 clients for this situation.

Of course you can host 600 church's websites and you'll probably never face any problem!

Cheers!

Northrex,

Proper planning goes a long way - if you see the loads beginning to average higher it's time to get another box: simple

That and quality hardware goes a long way as well.
    David

Originally posted by James-Guu
    you could check out Lunarpages.com they host a few sites of mine and are really good.

they answer support emails normally within an hour or 2 and their phone support is great.

they also allow you to have your own php.ini
    Thanks for the suggestion James-Guu.
    However, Lunarpages.com is one of those companies I would NEVER sign up with.

I have to pay a YEAR in advance or I get hit with a set up fee.
    They are miserly on disk space and charge a bundle for more.
    After the first 30 days, NONE of my money is refundable.

I can do better than them almost anywhere else.

Northtrex,
    You have mail!

Thanks!