Thumbs up 7 months with Micfo and continuing!

Hello everyone!

I just needed to give a positive review after what happened today when their tech guys managed to fish out backup copies of my site when I accidently deleted it

Late October last year I decided to take the plunge and look for a paid host for my websites. Thanks to the Find A Webhost feature on this board, quite a few hosts emailed me with their offers, and among the few Micfo really impressed me with their speedy replies (all within 15 mins of emailing). Added pluses were the sheer number of features they offered and their great pricing.

After learning about how this was my first time and all, they offered me a free domain name on top of the WHT offer, and that really impressed me.

So I decided to just try them out for 3 months.

Signing Up was a breeze; they had forewarned me that because they would need to first verify that the credit card I used to pay is mine (or rather, my dad's), it might take a while. However, this 'while' was less than an hour and soon all I had to do was wait for my free domain name to propogate.

Support before the sign-up had been amazing. The forums, the support ticket, all the various ways they offer support was amazingly fast. I'm a bit of a pessimist and was expecting that after signup, the support would be less.

Not at all. To this day every single one of my support tickets has been replied to within not their promised 25 minutes, not the 15 minutes, but in less than 10 and at the very least contacted me usually within 5 minutes that either they've rectified the problem or that it has been passed on to a higher support level.

There have been a few hiccups here and there with my site being slow, but those times are few and far in between. Neither has my site been down, as far as I know.

Extra things Micfo has come up with since October includes having an independent company to monitor any downtime their members experience (at the request of the members, according to the forums). As far as I can see, the only time my server has dipped below 99.9% is in Febuary, at 99.858% uptime.

Because of a great promotion they had back then, they've now doubled my current package free of charge.

I suppose the only thing I have to complain about is their lack of details when communicating with me. The one and only time I had a serious problem with my site was when I couldn't use the word "curl" as it triggers a 403 error. When I told them this they very promptly let me know it's a known problem and that they'll get on it very shortly.

At that moment my site went down. I presume it was so they could fix it, but after 3 hours I got annoyed and sent a ticket asking them what was happening, because it breached their SLA.

After half an hour I received a reply, it only contained an apology and letting me know my site was back up.

I suppose I can't complain too much, considering other companies might have taken more than a day to at least get back to me.

So... there's my 7 month review of Micfo I hope it helps anyone looking for information about this company!

What is the URL to the website you are hosting with them?

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Re: 7 months with Micfo and continuing!

Originally posted by Kyris
    Hello everyone!

I just needed to give a positive review after what happened today when their tech guys managed to fish out backup copies of my site when I accidently deleted it

Late October last year I decided to take the plunge and look for a paid host for my websites. Thanks to the Find A Webhost feature on this board, quite a few hosts emailed me with their offers, and among the few Micfo really impressed me with their speedy replies (all within 15 mins of emailing). Added pluses were the sheer number of features they offered and their great pricing.

After learning about how this was my first time and all, they offered me a free domain name on top of the WHT offer, and that really impressed me.

So I decided to just try them out for 3 months.

Signing Up was a breeze; they had forewarned me that because they would need to first verify that the credit card I used to pay is mine (or rather, my dad's), it might take a while. However, this 'while' was less than an hour and soon all I had to do was wait for my free domain name to propogate.

Support before the sign-up had been amazing. The forums, the support ticket, all the various ways they offer support was amazingly fast. I'm a bit of a pessimist and was expecting that after signup, the support would be less.

Not at all. To this day every single one of my support tickets has been replied to within not their promised 25 minutes, not the 15 minutes, but in less than 10 and at the very least contacted me usually within 5 minutes that either they've rectified the problem or that it has been passed on to a higher support level.

There have been a few hiccups here and there with my site being slow, but those times are few and far in between. Neither has my site been down, as far as I know.

Extra things Micfo has come up with since October includes having an independent company to monitor any downtime their members experience (at the request of the members, according to the forums). As far as I can see, the only time my server has dipped below 99.9% is in Febuary, at 99.858% uptime.

Because of a great promotion they had back then, they've now doubled my current package free of charge.

I suppose the only thing I have to complain about is their lack of details when communicating with me. The one and only time I had a serious problem with my site was when I couldn't use the word "curl" as it triggers a 403 error. When I told them this they very promptly let me know it's a known problem and that they'll get on it very shortly.

At that moment my site went down. I presume it was so they could fix it, but after 3 hours I got annoyed and sent a ticket asking them what was happening, because it breached their SLA.

After half an hour I received a reply, it only contained an apology and letting me know my site was back up.

I suppose I can't complain too much, considering other companies might have taken more than a day to at least get back to me.

So... there's my 7 month review of Micfo I hope it helps anyone looking for information about this company!

Good detailed review in my opinion.

I agree with you, Micfo is one of the only hosts that combines generous features, good support and attractive prices.

Unfortunately it seems like I can't post urls till I've hit my 5th post, which means after this one.

Actually, I had the urls in my signature but I just realized it doesn't show up because of my post counts.

Actually, I had the urls in my signature but I just realized it doesn't show up because of my post counts.
    Well, now you have enough posts and the signature is right where it is supposed to be.

Thank you for taking time to write such a detailed review. I really like details.

You're welcome

I was just wondering how to pay them back for being such great hosts, and well, spreading the word seems like a great way

Word of mouth advertising is the best kind. In just a few weeks I will have been with Micfo one year and like you have been very happy.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I have seen many positive reviews about micfo and good on you for letting everybody else know about it with your review. it definately helps others when looking for a paid hosting provider.

nice site btw!

Greetings,

Thanks Kyris for your detailed review. Reading through these are what makes our day and helps us to improve any portion of the services that needs to be.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    delivering the divine hosting experience™ | AS53889
    www.micfo.com

Thanks icontact I spent a looong time designing it and when I accidently deleted it I was near tears. It didn't help that I somehow managed to time it right before Micfo's daily backup. I have the absolute worst luck. Thank god for Micfo's weekly backups!

And Amir, you're welcome But seriously, I guess most customers would be happy knowing their site was back up, I was hoping to at least get an explaination to why my site was down for 3 hours at that time so I'd know whether or not it qualifies for a partial refund as stated in the SLA.

Man it didn't work out good for me. I just got an account with micfo and my sites were constantly going down or email would be down.

They are fast to respond to tickets but I would sometimes get a wrong answer or just say that it would be corrected soon. I had to move after a few weeks because of all the downtime and requested a refund multiple times through tickets & emails to billing. Instead of refunding, they billed me again!

I guess I read a lot about the problems when you move to a new host and they are populating a new server so maybe I just got on the wrong server at the wrong time.

-George

Thanx for an interesting review! I have an account with them also, (see sig) and I've never had any problems.
    Also, they have been responsive when I've needed to get in touch.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

I just got an account with micfo and my sites were constantly going down or email would be down.
    Are you sure it was their server and not your ISP?

Originally posted by Virtualgeorge
    Man it didn't work out good for me. I just got an account with micfo and my sites were constantly going down or email would be down.

They are fast to respond to tickets but I would sometimes get a wrong answer or just say that it would be corrected soon. I had to move after a few weeks because of all the downtime and requested a refund multiple times through tickets & emails to billing. Instead of refunding, they billed me again!

I guess I read a lot about the problems when you move to a new host and they are populating a new server so maybe I just got on the wrong server at the wrong time.

-George

Strange , i had few accounts with them on differnent servers and all those accounts had 100% uptime on most months and 99.89%on the worst month i had with them.

Greetings George,

There are always two side of the story. If you can provide a ticket ID or your domain, that would be greatly appreciated. So we can validate your statements and use your comments to improve our services and clarify the issue for other readers.

I look forward to your response.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

Hey Amir,
    my main account was under bellcomsoftware.com and was on sydney. Here is the first and can list them all if you like TFJ-25692. Not to mention a lot phone calls as well. Have a look and let me know your opinion. I know there are times with any host that you will have problems but this was excessive in my opinion.

One thing good is that I could call and get someone on the phone. They would tell they don't usually have that many problems and hadn't ever seen that many problems. I would ask if they could move me but just said I had to stick it out and I shouldn't have any more problems but I always did. I was nice to have some actually answer the phone though.

Then when I ask for a refund they said they would move me to thier VIP server and double my space and bandwidth. That was nice but by then I already had everyone moved & couldn't afford any more downtime. And instead of a refund, they charged me again even though I requested a refund within the 30 day period. I actually never got anyone to say I was getting a refund, just that my card would no longer be billed and thier offers to stay. Ticket on that one is ITX-70358

-George

Originally posted by Virtualgeorge
    Hey Amir,
    my main account was under bellcomsoftware.com and was on sydney. Here is the first and can list them all if you like TFJ-25692. Not to mention a lot phone calls as well. Have a look and let me know your opinion. I know there are times with any host that you will have problems but this was excessive in my opinion.

One thing good is that I could call and get someone on the phone. They would tell they don't usually have that many problems and hadn't ever seen that many problems. I would ask if they could move me but just said I had to stick it out and I shouldn't have any more problems but I always did. I was nice to have some actually answer the phone though.

Then when I ask for a refund they said they would move me to thier VIP server and double my space and bandwidth. That was nice but by then I already had everyone moved & couldn't afford any more downtime. And instead of a refund, they charged me again even though I requested a refund within the 30 day period. I actually never got anyone to say I was getting a refund, just that my card would no longer be billed and thier offers to stay. Ticket on that one is ITX-70358

-George

Again, VERY strange.

I'm on their sydney server NOW(You can track the IP), i think this was the worst month i've ever had until now and it's still 99.89% up. Last month it was 100% up.

I honestly believe it is something with your ISP or network problems in your location.

Check this:

http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics...&&UserId=22330

The site(my site, lostkeep.org) is on their sydney server, you can check with whois.sc.

Shortly, i tell you this - i've passed through high two digits number of hosting companies - you won't find anyone more reliable + proffesional + helpful like micfo.com.

Thanks!

Guess you just didn't notice the problems Rorax or it didn't affect your site.

You think its an isp issue? So you think its my isp and all of my clients isp's just happen to have the problems all at the same time?

I have sites with several different hosts so I know it was not an isp issue (at least fairly certain).

Besides, when I had a problem I would pick up the problem and call and support told me there WAS a problem. Here is 2 of many tickets:
    idj-74601
    George,

There was a problem with the mail server being clogged. Some of the messages stuck in the que have just finished being delievered.

Regards,
    Josh

xbw-36494
    George,
    We are currently working on this issue. Are any other accounts having this problem?

Thanks,
    Josh

And who cares about the uptime report if you have no email? If your clients who are running business's can't send or receive mail???

Once the mail was down for 24 hours straight, it wasn't and isp issue because I kept calling to check progress and YES there were professional & helpful.

But I and my clients couldn't send mail, we had mail bouncing, had mail being delivered 2 weeks later & some mail just vaporized.

Some of that could be something I did with previous host since it was a new transfer , who knows?

I have a good rep with my clients for hassle - free hosting so when things go down I start stressing and perhaps I over react a bit

-George

Thanks George for sharing your experience. I'll look into the ticket IDs you provided and will have someone to get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Wish you all the bests with your new hosting provider!
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

Here's my experience with Micfo Group:

Signed on in November 2004.

Asked to have the pspell library installed. They never got it right and I could never use spell-check with my forums.

January 2005 -- Their server hosting my site began running slow. My sites were not responding. After several days working with their techs (and getting nowhere) I noticed that the problem occurred every hour on the hour. I told them this fact yet they always seemed to check my site at 20 minutes past the hour, or 45 minutes past... finally I told them to check the server at the TOP of the hour... they found an "abusive" cron job running every hour which caused the slowness for about 20-30 minutes. After they removed this cron job the server ran normally again. My sites were down for 20-30 minutes EVERY HOUR for about TWO DAYS until they finally resolved the problem.

May 2005 -- Same problem as before. Sites began running slow again. My SQL databases became corrupt and I had to keep repairing tables. First their excuse was a kernel upgrade. Then it was a cron job. Then it was something else... the gist of the matter was that my sites were down for almost FOUR DAYS! I finally gave up after the fourth day and moved my sites to a new hosting provider (which resolved my problem!)

I pre-paid with Micfo for a whole year (to get the best rate). Because it was a problem with their server and the fact that my sites were down for four days, I feel that they owe me a refund for the remainder of my contract (six months of service). I would not have moved had they been able to resolve the matter in a timely manner.

To this day they will not make an exception and issue a refund... they simply hide behind their TOU/AUP policies.

Buyer beware.

Greetings,

Getting requested libraries such as pspell library installed for customers is just a favor not an obligation, so never forget that. Our services are based on 'What you see is what you get'.

Jumping with your gun and saying one side of story will make you always a happy bunny, no doubt about it. AND makes you look good on forum and us bad, if that's your intention =)

Its mad that you register yesterday and make 5 posts, suprizingly enough only in 'Micfo' threads. And that's not because of the problems, only because we refused to refund you.

Each company has its only policy and AUP/TOU. It should be followed accordingly without any expection. Before signing up, there's a check box that you should tick. And you know whats that? ' I have read and agreed to your Terms and Conditions. It clearly states at www.micfo.com/tou.html that the refund is only applicable within the first 30-days, no partial refund is issued afterwards no matter what the issue has been.

You could have always claimed a credit according to the SLA located at www.micfo.com/sla.html. We are not held responsible when you don't take 5 minutes to go through the terms and acknowledge them.

I wish you all the bests with your hosting provider. And No, posting your experience on WHT and sending me PM won't led you to get a partial refund or be treated different than other customers.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Amir; 05-27-2005 at 08:01 AM.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

You guarantee 99.9% uptime.

I experienced 96% uptime.

And most of that was due to four straight days of downtime for me.

I think it's fair to ask for a partial refund under these circumstances.

Greetings,

Any sort of evidence or something that can backup your statements? What was the server name/IP you were hosted on? Our servers are being monitored by a 3rd party monitoring system and I will gladly post the URL to the uptime monitoring system here to proove that there's no way you could have experienced an uptime below 99%.

I look forward to hearing from you!
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

The server in question is tara.micfo.com.

And you you follow the sequence of events in ticket SAH-30398 you'll see that I had an open ticket for the days in question and that your techs were working to resolve the problem.

Let me clarify something before we proceed. The server (tara) was up during this time. It was running extremely slow. So slow, in fact, that my websites were unusable. My MySQL databases crashed three times during this period because of problems with the server which caused some of my tables to become corrupt. So, while the server was technically "up" it was virtually unusable.

Your techs first claimed that it was due to a kernel upgrade. After the slowness continued they changed their tune and blamed it on an "abusive cron job." (please, read the ticket.)

The gist of the matter is: after FOUR days, my sites were either down or running painfully slow. I experienced numerous database crashes and corrupt tables as a result.

I'm only asking that you refund $65. Is that too much to ask for what you put me through?

Greetings,

Here's a link to server Tara's uptime monitoring system:
    http://www.siteuptime.com/prem_stati...&&UserId=14837

Uptime for May 2005 has been 99.973%.

If your site is having a lot of mysql connections and crashes, that means shared enviroment wasn't suitable for you. You should always remember that you're sharing a server with approximately 200 customers. One site cannot take all the resources available on the server and monopolize it.

From the other thread, I found that you have gotten yourself a VPS from another company, which means you already knew your site is knot suitable for shared enviroment.

Good luck with your new hosting provider.
    Amir Golestan
    www.micfo.com

I purchased a VPS product because that's the only entry-level plan that ServInt offers. And, from reading this forum, ServInt comes very highly recommended. I did not move to them because my sites were unsuitable for a shared hosting plan.

I was receiving the MySQL errors even when I put my forums into maintenance mode (i.e. no one was allowed to connect). I left them in maintenance mode for the better part of a day in hopes that the problem with tara would clear up (and because I didn't want my databases to crash and corrupt again). Even with the forums in maintenance mode, I was unable to connect to my databases.

I am not going to sit here and argue with you any further. You can plainly see from the ticket in question that I was having problems. Your techs confirmed that there were problems by the responses that they made. And you have the nerve to imply that I am making all of this up?

Goodbye, Sir.
    Last edited by bluecrab; 05-27-2005 at 09:02 AM.

Great kudos, but why not let us know URL of the website that they purportedly do such great things for, and how do we even know that you aren't affiliated with Micfo?

The moral of the story is don't ever pay a year in advance... I can't imagine why anyone does, especially with a no-refund policy.

It is just awful to see someone who has had all these problems, and who clearly is very unhappy with the service, being refused a refund. It shows the company in a terrible light IMO.

Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way. From now on it's month-by-month.

And you know whats that? ' I have read and agreed to your Terms and Conditions. It clearly states at <URL withdrawn> that the refund is only applicable within the first 30-days, no partial refund is issued afterwards no matter what the issue has been.
    Amir,

You may want to remind your sales/support guys about it. Incidentally, I (Peter) just had a chat session with Jose, a Micfo sales guy that went like this:

...You are now chatting with 'Jose'
    Peter: Hi. I have a question about cancelling an account (I do not have one yet). If I pay for a year and cancel after 3 months, what happens?
    Jose: You will be refunded at the end of the payed period
    Peter: Sorry, I do not understand. So how much do I get back and when? Say I pay $72 now and cancel in 9/15 (3 months)? How much do I get back and when?
    Jose: you get refunded the full ammount for the months you did not use
    Peter: Great, thanks.

I read the agreement and indeed, there's no refund after 30 days. This incident devalued Micfo somewhat in my eyes but I'll still try them. I'm not expecting miracles; just decent support and uptime. Honest sales guys are not that essential for me.

Peter

Or, on the other hand, maybe a culture of dishonesty pervades the entire company. Personally, that experience would put me off.

Originally posted by rgsuk
    Or, on the other hand, maybe a culture of dishonesty pervades the entire company. Personally, that experience would put me off.
    I don't see Micfo being dishonest. In fact, quite the opposite. The fact that they are answering questions and explaining policies publicly (instead of privately), is the direct evidence of that.

Moreover, anyone would find it hard to argue with 1-post members who suddenly show up altogether in one thread. There is a feeling of suspiciousness present.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Moreover, anyone would find it hard to argue with 1-post members who suddenly show up altogether in one thread. There is a feeling of suspiciousness present.
    That's totally understandable. I did sign up with them and I like it so far. Their support picks up the phone and responds to email, their admins fix things or explain why things are the way they are. It's too early for me to form an opinion but so far I like it.

The sales guy probably has 10 (or more) chat sessions going at a time and he may have slipped. While I'm not happy about his too optimistic version of things, I would not let that incident ruin it for the company.

Peter