difference between a .net and a.com

I am trying to get a domain name unfortunately the .com has already been taken, the .net is available I am wondering what exactly is the difference between the two? it's just a small online business I intend the site to be

users tend to type .com by default

there is no reason not to use .net its just another extension you can use.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

this days .net domains are becoming more usually, there is no difference...if the site .com has no relation with your site it is OK...but if the other site is small online business too, i suggest you to register another domain name

You may loose a bit of traffic to the .com version however if the site is related to an internet service then .net can also be used.

.com commercial
    .net networking

so basically .net was for ISP,webhosts etc.. but having the .com is always a good option even if a redirect to the .net version (like what i do)
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

You may loose a bit of traffic to the .com version however if the site is related to an internet service then .net can also be used.
    Also make sure your website doesn't conflict with .com owner in terms of copyright, brand or similar products that might casue you problems in future.
    Name123.com [ We are online Since 2004! ]
    Cheapest Domain Registration & Reseller Services!
    ENOM Domain Reseller Account with Lowest Industry Prices! (Details)
    Plus Excellent Technical Support Along The Way!

Originally posted by Bashar
    .com commercial
    .net networking

so basically .net was for ISP,webhosts etc.. but having the .com is always a good option even if a redirect to the .net version (like what i do)
    Thanks for this info Bashar, I guess I will follow you...
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Back in the day

My first .net domain I had to fill out a special form and get Network Solutions to Approve it was indeed a "networking" domain name. It was harder to get way back whenever (about 10 years ago)
    Regards,
    Randy
    Okie Net Web Hosting