Question Live Streaming Audio

I'm new to the streaming audio world...

I'm looking into setting up a live-to-web streaming audio capable website. I would like the server to play what's on right now (like turning on your radio to see what's airing right now), with the ability to play/stream archived files.

What I need to know:

1) What kinds of software, if any, are required? What is the best software and why?

2) Presuming the server is at a separate location from the audio source, what sort of requirements are needed at the source end?

3) What is a good hosting company to host the site?

4) What should a streaming audio newbie know?

Thanks,

-- Jonathan
    Jonathan Opie, Jonathan Opie Web Design
    [jonathanopie.com]

Check shoutcast streaming server

you can use server matrix 20Mbps Unmetered server for host your stream

shoutcast do not eat your mem & cpu
    ComCities.Com| provide hosting solutions Since 2002
    FLV Enable Icecast Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Mobile Streaming | Live TV Streaming | Live Radio Streaming
    CPanel Hosting Solutions | Dedicated Servers | Wowza Media Dedicated Servers | CDN Solutions

"4) What should a streaming audio newbie know?"

"BANDWIDTH"
    ComCities.Com| provide hosting solutions Since 2002
    FLV Enable Icecast Hosting | Shoutcast Hosting | Mobile Streaming | Live TV Streaming | Live Radio Streaming
    CPanel Hosting Solutions | Dedicated Servers | Wowza Media Dedicated Servers | CDN Solutions

Jonathan,

1) What kinds of software, if any, are required? What is the best software and why? I would recommend using shoutcast on the server end - and sam (spacial audio manager) available at spacialaudio.com

The software "made" the market - shoutcast was one of the first streaming applications available, spacialaudio built their entire operation on shoutcast.

2) Presuming the server is at a separate location from the audio source, what sort of requirements are needed at the source end? Again - a streaming application will be needed. Even winamp could "do" the job but I would recommend something like mentioned above.

3) What is a good hosting company to host the site? There are lots around - search, research - ask all the questions upfront and you'll be fine.

4) What should a streaming audio newbie know? That it takes time to build but is insanely profittable - keep it up and seperate yourself from the crowd.

Think different. (and don't buy macs!)
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Shoutcast looks to be the clear recommendation so far

Have either of you worked with it before? Does it include software to encode and upload/stream a live 24/7 broadcast, and in multiple bit rates simultaneously?

HP-David, I'm especially interested in the "extremely profitable" aspect... do you mean in terms of selling "air time", web ads, or as a paid developer? (Or something else?)
    [jonathanopie.com]

Jonathan,

Selling air time.
    And yes - I've worked with shoutcast often, technically shoutcast just 'pushes' the stream - your local application will handle the encoding.

Multiple bitrates would require multiple copies of shoutcast running (very low overhead, not a problem). The 'SAM' that I had mentioned would handle the encoding and could stream to multiple copies of shoutcast at once.

Basically this is how it works:

streaming system (pushes data to the 'server')-> shoutcast (pushes data to the listener(s)) -> Listener (enjoying whatever is being streamed)

The streaming system will encode the music/data - preferably multiple bitrates (SAM supports it) and then pushes it to shoutcast which just distributes the data.

Really simple once you get it all rolling.

And just a note - the entire industry is insanely profittable. It's media/advertising at it's best afterall.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Thanks HP-David!!!

I'm going to start looking into a streaming audio site for my next personal project.
    [jonathanopie.com]

Jonathan,

No problem! Have a great day.
    David

EASY Use Shoutcast to broadcast and other person has to have Winamp player or Real player

G-RAT

Is there an easy way to work out how much monthly bandwith a shoutcast stream would use if fully utilised?

Say 24k stream with 10 slots?

David

David you are a star