I Need COLO for 20 1U Servers, in NY/NJ suggest please.

Hello Guys,

I am looking forward to buy my own hardware and colo them. NY/NJ locations are fine.

Please suggest what I will be needing for colocating 20 1U servers.

1) Do I need 1/2 cabinet or full cabinet? (since cabinet is 42-48U at most places).

2) What other equipments I need? i.e. KVM for remote reboots?? switches?? (suggest some names/prices)

3)I need stable good quality bandwidth but not so expensive. Looking or some 30-35mbps in beginning but will upgrade to more. bandwidth should be brustable to 100mbps or better 1000mbps.

4) Price for bandwidth + cabinet should not be extremely high, like the quote I got from peer1 was very high, $1500/month for half cabinet and 20mbps bw, making it approx. $70-$75/mbps, while NYI is much higher.... apporx. $90/mbps

5) Suggest me the names of all the DCs in NY/NJ areas.

thank you everyone in advance for helping in this tread.

I highly recommend CRNC (http://www.crnc.net). Their primary colocation is at Equinix in Secaucus, with secondary points of presence at Equinix Newark and 25 Broadway in NYC. I would be willing to bet they can do better than $1500/mo, and the service is top-notch.

Depending on growth, I'd recommend a full cabinet. 20U is about a 1/2 cabinet, not including a switch or any power management device. You dont NEED a KVM, but if you wanted one you could use it. As for power management i'd recommend an APC AP7930, its a Zero U switched rack PDU. It mounts vertically as not to take up precious rack space.

Is it good to go directly with the datacenter or go through a reseller?

Do datacenters deal with clients who dont need multiple cage/cabinets but a single cabinet?

I am asking this for a reason that if reseller closes the business, I will get stuck in middle, and I need stable long term solution, at least for 4-5 years minimum.

Hello James,

I will be sending you the sales query in few minutes.

EDIT---
    Email has been sent.
    Last edited by HenryJ; 05-18-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Datacenters do not sell bandwidth directly, unless you are in a carrier neutral facility. At that point it will be very pricy. I'd just recommend doing your research and making sure whomever you go with has the fortitude to stay around for a while.

There is no fail safe plan here; what if the datacenter closes too?

There are quite a few datacenters where it will be hard to procure a half rack. Many providers are happy to provide Remote Reboot Switches, Serial Console and switch ports for free on half a rack or smaller.

It depends on your rate of growth. How quickly will you outgrow your 20 servers? Is it worth paying for empty space in the short run?

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

i wouldnt recommend stacking 20 1u servers ontop of eachother, you should leave a u between each or every other server for cooling reasons. You're gonna need a full rack.

Originally posted by 2uantuM
    i wouldnt recommend stacking 20 1u servers ontop of eachother, you should leave a u between each or every other server for cooling reasons. You're gonna need a full rack.
    If you're in a cabinet, you don't want to do that unless you have faceplates to close the gaps between each server. Cabinets are designed to draw air THROUGH the server, front to back; however air, like everything else, takes the path of least resistance which will be the big empty space above and below each server. Furthermore, you'll get a backdraft of hot exhaust air coming through the empty spaces in between the servers, which will then get sucked back through the servers, further reducing your ability to appropriately and successfully cool your servers.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

You may be able make a deal with a datacenter to get a full rack at half-rack prices, if you are only going to put in 20 servers and space them apart. It would be hard to do in a space restrained area like NYC, but surrounding suburbs or other tri-state area facilities may be able to do such for you. You will not find this at premium hubs like Telx, or 111 8th, but at some privately owned smaller facilities you might...

Also, $1500 for a cabinet + 20MBPS is NOT unreasonable.
    Power and space costs money--plain and simple--especially in NYC.
    Once you factor that in, they probably are only charging you probaby near $40/MBPS--which is more than reasonable, if not quite low for that small commit level.

4) Price for bandwidth + cabinet should not be extremely high, like the quote I got from peer1 was very high, $1500/month for half cabinet and 20mbps bw, making it approx. $70-$75/mbps
    Also, $1500 for a cabinet + 20MBPS is NOT unreasonable.
    How do you figure 1,500.00/m comes out to 75.00/mbps?

You’re paying for the full cabinet/power (I’m assuming), and the bandwidth, not *just* the bandwidth.

75.00 x 20 = 1,500.00
    70.00 x 20 = 1,400.00

Are you looking for a free cabinet or a cabinet that only costs ~100.00/m?

I was actually going to say that’s a fairly good quote coming from Peer1. It’s closer to 25.00/mbps – 40.00/mbps than 75.00/mbps.

I think your best bet is to give the people you’re seeking suggestions from your actual budget, that is, how much you’re willing to pay. Because I doubt many people here would consider a 1,500.00/m quote from Peer1 for a full cab + 20mbps of bandwidth to be “very” high.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Hello guys,

I was bit busy during the day so couldn't reply earlier.

For peer1, that was a quote for half cabinet.

Here it is again (peer1):
    1/2 cabinet 20mbps for $1500/mo + $300 setup
    1/2 cabinet 30mbps for $1950/mo + $300 setup

So my "correct" assumption is: it is $600 for 1/2 cab + $45/mbps

------------------------

Let me put it this way to make things easier for everyone to suggest me best.

1) The provider I am looking for should be able to provide low cost CPANEL licence for my servers also (peer1 lacks that), and direct licence from CPanel costs around 54.00/month per server compared to many DCs where one can get the internal one within 20-25USD range. This means a lot since 54-25 = $29.00, 20x$29.00 = $580.00 less to pay.

2) The quotes I got, the price for full cabinet+20Amp was bit expensive for my budget. Peer1 actually have it for $900 but their bandwidth is $45/mbps, while others have the price of cabinet between 1000-1400 USD with their bandwidth price being in $35-$45 per mbps range.
    While my budget allows me approximately around $600-650 for the cabinet and and I can afford $30/mbps for a mixed bandwidth with good SLA. Level(3) in NYC & Savvis in Jersey City have full cabinets for $600-$650 range but I don't know how good their bandwidth are, and what is the rate (still waiting for the quote from them, and also if there is someone in the DC who can provide the CPanel for low cost).
    (CRNC had a great offer few months ago i think, $2500 for 100mbps + full cabinet, I will check with James to see if we can do like that, but cpanel licence fees $35.00 is high, so I have think on that also.
    I am also waiting for reply from dedicatednow, they are in clifton, NJ, and they have Cpanel Licence for colo at very cheep $20/month rate. On their site they have 1200GB bw (approx. 3.5mbps)+ 1-2U colo for $99.95/month, so I am wondering if they will be able to give me good deal for whole cabinet or not with 30mbps of bw to start with. Voxel has great offer on COGENT but I am not sure about single bandwidh provider for a webhosting enviroment. Brust has good price for cabs but they lack good reviews at WHT so i will just continue to keep them for my backup servers only at the moment.

3) I need remote hands for manual reboot/fsck for free. Peer1 has it for free during day-shift only. CRNC has it 24/7 I believe, so is dedicatednow and i think voxel also.

4)Few had asked me about IP requirement, I would put it around /25 (which i believe is 126 or so IPs) for full cabinet, may be less.

Also guys, please suggest me few things since you all have good experience:
    1) Other than servers, what other equipments/softwares do i need considering all the servers will be web hosting servers and I want a secure enviroment, and something to monitor the bandwidth at port level for each server.
    2) I need remote reboots, James has suggested APC for that, do I need anything else?
    3) Do I need any switch/router?
    4) Do I have to setup some PLAN/VLAN?
    5) Is there is anything else I am missing.

Also someone had asked me from when I would like to have the colo service?
    I had talked with my Dell rep and he told me that 2nd free processor deal will be coming 26th May or on 2nd June, So I will be ordering my servers all together from Dell within 2 weeks of time, take another week or so for shipping, and approx. 1 week to put extra harddrive/memory & custom configration on them by me + installation of OS, so I will be getting the colo approx. in 1 month time, and I have plenty of time to do all the research, datacenter visits etc since I dont want to change DC in few months, I need stable where I can stay at least few years minimum.

Thank you everyone for now. Please do reply back, specially for my queries.
    Last edited by HenryJ; 05-20-2005 at 04:30 AM.

For this type of thing, you'll typically need a switch. Cisco 2924XL will do fine. They are cheap on the new and used markets and can do full 100Mbps full-duplex with 802.1q VLAN trunking capabilities, should you need VLANs down the line. Speaking of, you'd need a router to do VLANs.

Also, find out the rail types at the location you choose and get the appropriate rails from Dell.

Typically when you're moving in it would be wise to bring spare OS media and any serial #s you'll need should a late night catastrophe occur, you'll be ahead of the game. If the servers will be unix based, a serial console device may help too.

Uhhh if your expecting quality bandwidth for 35$ per megabit on a 30 meg commit...
    Matt Mills
    Ceteranet Network Systems - www.ceteranet.com
    [email protected]

Originally posted by f0urtyfive
    Uhhh if your expecting quality bandwidth for 35$ per megabit on a 30 meg commit...
    Aaah come on, you can be more mature if you want to post some thing constructive. Pardon me but I want to ask you one thing, what is a lot? When 4 yrs ago I had a $5 50MB diskspace account, I was a guy with low commit..than I had 1GB for $10 still I was low commit.. than I was $35 for 3GB reseller..yet low commit...than I had my first 1.7Ghz celeron for $99 ..still low commit.. than.. I had 5 servers yet it is low commit... now I have some 20+ server with approx commit of 30mbps (9TB) to start with yet i am low commit for you?? I guess than you must be very low commit to someone, dont you think? I mean you aint the majority stock holder of SAVVIS/VERIO/PEER1/ATT/VERIZON/TW, so there is always someone in the chain for whom you are a low commit regardless of what you believe, unless you are on the top of the chain you should not bring up unprofessional comments like yours.

Arm twisting aside, I have narrow down my options to DedicatedNow & CRNC, both have good network, and both are within my budget limits. I will do little more homework and their site tours (while my servers arrive from dell in next 2 weeks or so) and than I will be going with one of them.

Other than that, I would like to thank everyone above for suggesting and helping me in my quest to find a decent colo provider and also for answering my questions. Cheers to you all

Single homed, you can easily get $35 for L3 or BtN or even Savvis ...

Sorry but a quick question Henry J, what are these 20 servers for?

Are they all for webhosting? or gaming? or are you just running a server farm for everything

Hello Broadband Man, both decatednow & CRNC are multihomed & multi-peering providers.

Regarding the servers, they all are for webhosting purposes.

P.S. One question, How much power does a dual xeon 2.8-3.2Ghz range server with dual harddrives (2x160GB sata, 2x36GB 15k RPM SCSI, 2x73GB 10K RPM hdd) and say 4GB DDR2 ram, 1U server will need?

Around 2.5 amps ... Henry, random question but do you have a website.

Also, if its for webhosting, I'm assuming your demand isn't for top of the line bandwidth but for something stable with good uptimes correct?

While I would suggest going with a company with access to higher end bandwidth simply to be able to expand into the dedicated server market, I'd say out of DNow or CRNC, go with CRNC.

Have you considered Voxel? Their network is decent for webhosting

Hi I do have business websites. And yes my demand is not for extreme low latency gaming server usage bandwidth, but something which is stable and have very good uptime, you got that absolutely correct.

Regarding Voxel, the price they quoted me was higher than peer1

Peer1: Full Cabinet + 20Amp power + 30mbps peer1 bandwidth = $2250.00
    Voxel: Full Cabinet + 20Amp power + 30mbps voxel bandwidth = $2450.00

I was very seriously considering Voxel but stopped considering them after the quote I recieved, the quote is more expansive than peer1, and peer1 because they dont have after hour staff who will do free-reboots/fsck if needed.

All this lefts the game between DedicatedNow & CRNC, both have similar multi-homed bandwidth, and prices are same too for bandwidth, so all now comes down to the price of rack space & Cpanel licences, and offcourse how good are the datacenter's facilities in-terms of cooling.

Advantage DedicatedNow has: $20.00/month CPanel licence + free OS install on a new server (saving me 30 minutes of hassle), onsite 24/7 linux tech experts.

Advantage CRNC has: Their Telehouse 25 Broadway, NYC location which saves some 15 minutes of extra drive which is needed to reach Clifton, NJ where DedicatedNow's datacenter is, and overall review CRNC/James/Pat have here on WHT. Also I have heard the Equinux DC has very good cooling where CRNC started operations within last few days.

Telehouse has had terrible power issues ... I suggest the Equinix Secaucus location that CRNC recently moved into. There are also other providers in Secaucus.

I asked for your website so that I could see it hehe Do you have a URL?

Site: Bright Servers (http://brightservers.com), this is actually one of the 4 sites we have, we have 4 sites to cater 4 different type of core areas.

Having been with dedicatednow for a few years now I think you will enjoy the level of service offered. They're excellent with support, and the network is stable and growing. Highly recommended.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

IMHO - Dedicated Now's network has declined after they got the boot from NAC
    ServGrid - www.servgrid.com - Affordable and Reliable SSD Cloud Solutions
    Premium 10G Network, 2(N+1) Powerplant and SSD Performance
    Web, Reseller, KVM VPS, Storage and Private Cloud Hosting
    Click here to see our SSD Benchmarks!

There were a few issues immediately after the migration but since then things have much improved and I would now definately consider the network stable. They're bringing NYIIX peering online in the next few weeks which will introduce a lot of diversity to the network and bring things a lot closer to what they were like previously.

I was concerned when I heard they were leaving NAC, but after they did their network was still good, just a little unstable initially. It's fine now and their network people are good at their job.
    Andrew Cranson, Director of Operations
    Layershift Fully Managed Cloud Hosting :: WizzVPS Cheap Unmanaged VPS :: UK, USA, Singapore
    Jelastic :: Next generation PaaS - UK Java & PHP Hosting
    True 24x7 Technical Support - peace of mind around the clock!

Good luck in finding provider. I would highly recommend CRNC, personally I don't have any experience with them. They have very good review on WHT.

Thank You
    David.k
    WebHostingChat Where you Discuss & Chat about webhosting.
    DatacenterTalk DataCenterTalk.com (DCT) is a leading resources site for the Data Center community.