VPS Control Panel?

Hey Guys,

I had a VPS back when Virtuzzo had just started, and enjoyed it a lot. As time went on, I needed a dedicated machine, and eventually a dedicated connection.

Recently, I've been quite fascinated by the increase in demand of VPS clients and VPS providers. I've been playing around with Xen a lot, and have thought about the idea of creating an control panel for managing a server running individual Xen machines.

Basically, the vps provider would initially configure the server by specifying items like the machine's IP block(s), bandwidth, etc. From their control panel, they'd be able to monitor stats for the machines running inside their server (cpu/mem/bandwidth), create/modify new machines, and control options such as distribution images.

The client would also have a control panel. In their control panel, they would be able to start/stop/reboot their VPS, change their distribution automatically (using images on the server), view bandwidth used by their machine(s), etc.

I'm simply tossing this idea around right now. I wanted to get WHT's opinions on whether this would be something that providers could use, if there is already a solution that does this, and if there were any programmers interested in helping out if I started work on this project. I'm not trying to say "Hey, it would be nice if there was a program that did a, b, and c,"but I would be interested in creating this if there was a need for it It seems kind of like a challenge, haha!

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    -Josh

This already exists

e.g. take a look at HSPcomplete.

Unless i'm mistaken, isn't HSPComplete is for virtuozzo only.

I didn't particularly like it either, I don't think HSPComplete for VPS is a well thought out product.

I'd like to see a GPL/Low cost control panel for Xen.

That is actually what I meant: that does exist but I'm not sure whether it's ever been released to the public. It would indeed make a nice product - and I have to add that we are actually already working on it but it's not something that we will release to the public though.