Thread: How much?

How much?

Hello everybody,
    im new to this site, my friend just told me about it.
    im a junior in high school and have taken web publishing one and got an A and now im in web pub 2.
    i can make pretty nice sites and i was wondering how much i can get for making a site for someone??

I was just wondering because i want to strat getting some money for a car ECT.....

Thanks

it depends. That is about the best answer I can give you. Seeing as you are young, probably don't have a portfolio, not very much experience, and not as many resources, it will be difficult to charge a lot for your services. However, this is all just speculation.

I would probably start off by making some friends/relatives websites for free until you can build a nice portfolio. Then I would consider marketing myself for projects.

As far as how much you can charge, it really just depends. By that, I mean it depends on everything. Anywhere from 50 bucks to 100,000 dollars.
    [color=#666666]Ackoo Solutions, LLC

Originally posted by Ackoo

I would probably start off by making some friends/relatives websites for free until you can build a nice portfolio. Then I would consider marketing myself for projects.
    What do you mean about portfolio and stuff? whats that?

i have a site now? can i show that of as some as my work?
    I know
    -html
    -some basic flash
    -css
    -dreamweaver (although i never use it)
    -PSP7
    -basic java
    and i ahve been using/playing on computers for like 6 years.
    and have known how to make sites for about 2 and a half

Because you are a junior high student, I wouldn't say you can make very much money. I have met some very smart young students though, so I won't doubt you. Your best bet is to create a portfolio, host it online, and show some potential customers. Perhaps small business in your area. How much you charge is up to you, you might want to take a look into the market and see exactly what is going on.

Originally posted by Ackoo
    Absolutely agree. You are not going to make anything at all unless you convince someone to contract your services. If will be near impossible to do that without some proof of your ability. I would create several different sample 'sites' and make them available online for prospective clients to view. Make sure you include some variety...with flash, without flash, storefront-like, etc.

Hope this helps

Originally posted by RICHARD89
    What do you mean about portfolio and stuff? whats that?

i have a site now? can i show that of as some as my work?
    I know
    -html
    -some basic flash
    -css
    -dreamweaver (although i never use it)
    -PSP7
    -basic java
    and i ahve been using/playing on computers for like 6 years.
    and have known how to make sites for about 2 and a half

A portfolio is a purposeful and meaningful collection of your work.
    They accomplish and supported by your work and achievements, authentic samples etc in a decorative way.
    It provide feedback with certain purpose and value.

stuff : The material out of which something is made or formed.

If you meant PaintShop not Photoshop by PSP7, then you probably need to give AdobePhotoshop a try. Very useful for creating optimized web graphics and slicing designs easily in ImageReady -- then you'll only need to do the coding part, which depends on your knowledge about HTML. PaintShop remains a creative tool.

For some to say that high school upperclassmen cannot successfully start off their own freelance business is absurd. I started Voxxit Designs when I was only 16, so I know for a fact that it's possible.

Like others have said, though, I would create a portfolio (both maybe on a PDF resume and a website) to send to both employers and prospect clients. Your credibility (not your age) is sometimes questioned if you don't prove to have the proper skill sets to work with the company.

Go ahead and check out the business development section at SitePoint.com - they have great articles about how to approach clients, what to ask when developing a project proposal, how to decide what to charge and more!

If you have any further questions on the industry, you may also want to check out IWDN Forums. The other developers and I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, and you can also do a search for topics in there.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Josh
    Voxxit - Accessible Web Design & Secure, Affordable Web Hosting
    Now offering 501(c)3 non-profit discounts!
    Ruby on Rails included with every hosting account! - Save up to 80% bandwidth on all plans with mod_deflate!
    Visit our services page to see how Voxxit can help you today!