Database without SQL?

Are there other methods of implementing an online database without SQL support? I've been asked to develop a website that will require a sizeable database, and their particular webhosting service doesn't support SQL (the only db language i'm familiar with). If they choose not to change services, how would anyone be able to implement a db? Thanks in advance.

As far as I know of, a database uses SQL, plain and simple. MySQL, SQLLite, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, SQL Server, Oracle, Sybase, etc., all use SQL as a base langauge for the database to be update, edited, etc.

Inquiry with them again to see if they have: 1)no access or to a database, or 2)no access to a database using SQL.

If they have no way to use a database, which is probably what you and they are trying to elude to, you are looking at using flat-file based information tracking. It's not hard, it's jsut time consuming to look through(when the files get to be large enough), and gets pretty memory and resources intensive(a lot of problems came from early versions of bulletin board software that used text files for data storage).

You might be able to find highly optimized solutions for free across the net, but if they have no access to a database, then you are looking at a flat file solution.

Hope it helps

database n : an organized body of related information

So there are plenty of non-SQL solutions that would qualify as a 'database.' You will want to run php_info() on the system to see what other options you may have. SQLite and BDB files are decent options, or flat files if the 'tables' will be fairly small. A directory full of small files may work, too.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Flat files don't *have* to be slow. You can get fancy and build your own indexes and such, which isn't all that hard either if you understand the data structures involved. It's just a ton of work and very error prone and difficult to debug. Try and get at least SQLite.

Sorry, thought I read 'relational' when I posted

Long days...

you can work with XML files.

I too suggest SQLite for an embedded RDMS solution, though it does use (a subset of) SQL - but then that's a plus for you, despite your original post.
    #include<cstdio>
    char*s="#include<cstdio>%cchar*s=%c%s%c;%cint main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}";
    int main(){std::printf(s,10,34,s,34,10);}

Most people confuse SQL with MSSQL -- are you sure you mean the language or the database server?

Its very difficult to find a database server (system) that doesn't support some form of SQL.

I would bet that there is a confusion between product names, and query language names. Like the above poster said, SQL might be functioning as a ubiquitous term for MSSQL.

As error404 said you can use a flat-file type database,XML etc.

One of the largest directories on the internet uses flat file databases for it's content.
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Ask the client to switch hosts (to your's, of course...)

How large of a database?

Flat files would work
    Dan Sheppard ~ Freelance whatever