Thread: Ipowerweb

Angry Ipowerweb

I am so friggin' tired of Ipowerweb - I have only two more domains to move from them and I will be completely free of them.

I have web hosting with them on a domain set to expire on 05/23/2005 and asked that it not be renewed. Instead of not renewing the domain, they cancelled it a week before it was set to expire. My customer is furious and have lost their online store, all of the webmail that they have saved and the transactions that have taken place today.

We had posted an message on their site earlier this week that the site would be down for maintenance this weekend (2-days) while the domain transfer takes place and we move the store, data and emails to the new server and new host but this was totally unexpected.

What recourse do I have with Ipower in recovering the information, emails, etc due to their cancellation of the domain a week earlier than the expiration date? They also said that they could not retrieve the information from their "daily backup" that is supposed to be made.

What would other web hosts do in this situation?

frogbert2002,

Most other hosts wouldn't delete an account a week ahead of time - I would ask them for a full refund and if they won't grant that (for the loss of data).. well there really isn't much you can do, how much is the data worth to your client?

Worth court?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Update - Talked with a person in their billing department and they will be glad to make the account active again but there will be a $50 charge to restore the data - not for a single week!

There is not a supervisor for their reseller department or their billing department available to take care of this problem.

Yes, it will be well worth my while to take this to court to prevent future problems of this nature. Just pure bull.

frogbert2002, hate to say it, but you probably wouldn't last long in court with what you have.....

The first thing they'll ask you is if you had your own backups, and when you say "No", they'll insinuate that the data couldn't have had too much of a value if you didn't seek to protect it and back it up on your own. Granted, they may have made backups, but I'm sure that somewhere in their TOS there's a clause which will hold them harmless in the event of data loss.

About the only thing you could push for is negligence, but the fact that you didn't care enough to back up your own data will likely put limits on what you recover.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

If you're not willing to pay $50 to restore the data then I couldn't have been very important to begin with.

If you think that it will be worth your while to take them to court you are kidding yourself. There is not a lawyer who would touch it. If you don't even consider it worth $50 what do you think a third party is going to think it's worth?

I understand where you guys are coming from about the $50 and how much the data is worth. After taking time to cool down and think about the whole situation I agree that I should pay the money to have the site and emails restored. But I also feel that I am being ripped off by Ipowerweb one more time because of their negligence in cancelling the hosting instead of setting it simply not to renew next week.

sounds like they did it out of spite.

Id just pay the $50 and make sure everything is restored.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

One more reason about why not to use Ipowerweb...
    Pay them $50. In the end, they will have lost more money than they gained (when potential customers come here and see this).

In the end, they will have lost more money than they gained (when potential customers come here and see this).
    They might lose some customers here, but I have a hunch that the average WHT user/visitor is not their target market.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    They might lose some customers here, but I have a hunch that the average WHT user/visitor is not their target market.
    Their target market is high school kids (no offense, I am a high school kid). The kids see their low prices and get one of their packages. I considered their dedicated servers... for about 2 seconds

I heard that they put thousands of site on each server. You shouldn't put any money-making venture on their server.