portal/directory/quasi search site pollution

Can anyone give me some insight into the proliferation of portal/directory websites ? These are the generic portal/directory/quasi search engine websites that seem to have links to a select group of other sites. Are they part of some kind of afffiliate program ? Are they part of a Google bomb ? So many good domain names seem to be taken by one of these sites.

Here are some examples:

That is domain parking. Basically you park a domain and when people click on the links, you get paid.

A popular domain parking service is

Yes, that's how people make money. I don't like them either, even though I too have some of my unused domains parked this way.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

generic domains with traffic always good source of money or dropped domains which had running website.

many good unsed domains looks the same these days
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi