ICANN Accreditation Process - Software for Registrars

Hello all

i would like to ask for your suggestions for a reliable consultation firm to help me for the ICANN Accreditation process
    Also i seek a software solution after this phase

Both steps can be fulfilled with the services of logicboxes.com the company of directi.com
    However i believe that something doesn't go right with this company

1. Their consultation prices are extremely high and i may characterize them rip off. I searched some forums and i saw that before one year they charged $2000 for consultation of ICANN process. Now as I was told from people working in one registrar in dk they charge between $10,000 - $15,000. I understand that the process of ICANN may had many modifications but this is more than 750% in less than a year

2. They want these money 100% upfront

3. The worst part is that they don't keep a steady pricing but they "weight" their price according to the customer....and even worst they overweight

4. Their software solution looks good even as i read in this forum it is buggy and slow

I believe that because logicboxes.com is the only known company for this reason and requests flying around them they don't really care
    It's a take or leave it scenario
    I like companies to respect the customer and not exploit him the time he needs them so logicboxes and directi is not a choice for me

Another option concerning the software part is the solution from Tucows but it's expensive

Are there any other companies for these tasks ?

Thanks
    Nick

If you go with tucows or enom both companies can help you with the icann accredtion process if needed.

Tucows I believe even has much of the work done in templates you can leverage
    Domain Maven

Re: ICANN Accreditation Process - Software for Registrars

Originally posted by DOMN

1. Their consultation prices are extremely high and i may characterize them rip off. I searched some forums and i saw that before one year they charged $2000 for consultation of ICANN process. Now as I was told from people working in one registrar in dk they charge between $10,000 - $15,000. I understand that the process of ICANN may had many modifications but this is more than 750% in less than a year
    I was working with them for ICANN Accreditation, they quoted me a consultancy free of $8000. Thus I asked elsewhere.

2. They want these money 100% upfront
    They promised to send us the information when we signed the NDA, I can't really comment on this as we decided to go elsewhere before passing this point.

3. The worst part is that they don't keep a steady pricing but they "weight" their price according to the customer....and even worst they overweight
    Yes they will and do take advantage of people wanting their services as they believe they are the only one offering this service. A quick email to a few to some of the top reseller providors proved otherwise.

4. Their software solution looks good even as i read in this forum it is buggy and slow
    Their software solution IS slow and IS buggy. Not to mention they lack the server hardware to really give a quality service to hosts. I was told all their servers were in the EV1 datacentre. Yet their phone support tells me their servers are Sun Blade Servers. (Does EV1 even offer these? If so, where? I can't find them).

Also maybe they didn't mention, but like it or not, if you go with them you MUST use their OrderBox solution for at least 2 years. Which is one of the main reasons I choose to look arround instead.

I believe that because logicboxes.com is the only known company for this reason and requests flying around them they don't really care
    It's a take or leave it scenario
    I like companies to respect the customer and not exploit him the time he needs them so logicboxes and directi is not a choice for me
    They think they are the only one offering such a service, but I can assure you that is not true, many of the leading registrars will assist you in ICANN Accreditation, and at a much better price than what LogicBoxes charges.

Another option concerning the software part is the solution from Tucows but it's expensive
    Tucows solution is a hosted service I believe, that is of course if you are meaning HRS. Personally I think coding a custom solution wouldn't be too hard, but if you don't want to take the custom coding path, using Tucows would be a pretty good idea.

Adam

Thank dmaven and adam-pca for your replies

adam-pca did you find a similar company like logicboxes ?

enom don't go throught the accreditation process , they wait to be accredited and they they may discuss it

Tucows didn't reply at all

Having been down this road myself, if I were to continue forward it would be with the assistance of http://www.namefox.com/namefox/consultancy.htm and then RegistrarPDQ from eNom as the backend.

Before you undertake the registrar accreditation process, please read and consider the following costs to you. This is not an exhaustive list of all costs involved in becoming an accredited registrar, but is meant only as a helpful listing of some costs registrar applicants should be prepared to pay in connection with becoming an ICANN accredited registrar.

To ICANN:

* US$2,500 non-refundable application fee, to be submitted with application.
    * US$4,000 yearly accreditation fee.
    * Variable fee (quarterly) paid once you begin registering domain names. This fee represents a portion of ICANN's operating costs.
    * Transaction-based gTLD fee (quarterly). This fee is a flat fee (currently $0.25) charged for each new registration, renewal or transfer. This fee can be billed by the registrar separately on its invoice to the registrant.
    * Please refer to the ICANN Budget for additional details about invoicing, including options for relief and fee caps.

You must have:

* US$70,000 in working capital requirement. THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE PAID TO ICANN; ICANN requires only that you demonstrate (by submitting an independently verified financial statement) that you have at least this much liquid capital (cash or credit) before your ICANN accreditation becomes effective.

---

Now, if you actually want to beable to register .com or .net domains... you'll have to make completely different agreements with Verisign-GRS.

For them you'll need:

Payment Security

Payment security secures registrations performed each month by registrars. Acceptable vehicles to satisfy the payment security are:

* Cash deposit
    * Irrevocable standby letter of credit from a bank
    * Payment security bond from an approved surety or bank.

The cash deposit used to be about $100,000 tho it may have changed.
    Payment security for $1,000,000 from approved banks: http://www.fms.treas.gov/c570/c570.html

So, either $8,000 is going to be a drop in the bucket for you, or you already have an exceptional line of credit.
    Last edited by Lightwave; 05-19-2005 at 10:31 AM.

Thank dmaven and adam-pca for your replies

adam-pca did you find a similar company like logicboxes ?

enom don't go throught the accreditation process , they wait to be accredited and they they may discuss it

Tucows didn't reply at all
    Depending on your needs, yes I found a similar company willing to offer ICANN accreditation assistance, which I am finding much easier to work with. But also no, I didn't fine an "all-in-one" solution like their OrderBox system.

Instead we were offered consultancy and advice of how to go about developing our own solution to work directly with the registrys. While this is not ideal for someone looking for a out-of-the-box solution, it does have it's benefits.

Adam

How hard is it to prove to ICANN that your business has $ or exceptional credit? Either you do, or you dont... and your audited financials should clearly beable to show that.

It's not like ICANN wants to turn down your money if you can give it to them.... they'll help you through the application process... It really doesnt seem like rocket science to me filling out a simple application.

Questions you may have concerning your application should be addressed to [email protected] or to you can call the ICANN Registrar Application Helpline at +1-310-823-9358, extension 5814

adam-pca because i see that i can't send a PM maybe because i'm a new user

can you PM me this info ?

Unless you intend on doing serious volume or you have an established business being ICANN accredited is a costly proposition
    Domain Maven

I know dmaven. I learn the numbers before i start query for solutions. The issue is that there must be a way to follow and for now i don't see any reliable and profitable method to choose. Maybe adam-pca found one, i will wait for his PM.

I know dmaven. I learn the numbers before i start query for solutions. The issue is that there must be a way to follow and for now i don't see any reliable and profitable method to choose. Maybe adam-pca found one, i will wait for his PM.
    The ICANN fees are unavoidable. You need to pay them no matter what happens. As for me PMing, what information do you want exactly? I am limited to as what I can tell you as we had to agree to a NDA (Non-disclosure agreement).

Adam

I mean the name/url for the company(ies) that can help you about the ICANN accreditation assistance and the software solution later

I mean the name/url for the company(ies) that can help you about the ICANN accreditation assistance and the software solution later
    The software solution later is being custom built as per advice from an enom rep, although they did offer and try to get us to use their RegistrarPDQ. We got the ICANN accreditation assistance from a company that I believe was posted about above, http://www.namefox.com/namefox/consultancy.htm.

Adam

Originally posted by adam-pca
    The software solution later is being custom built as per advice from an enom rep, although they did offer and try to get us to use their RegistrarPDQ. We got the ICANN accreditation assistance from a company that I believe was posted about above, http://www.namefox.com/namefox/consultancy.htm.

Adam
    have you been accredited yet?
    Domain Maven

i've droped namefox an email, no reply yet, maybe after the weekend i'll get something.
    Last edited by Bashar; 05-24-2005 at 02:17 PM.
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Dear Down,

I am also working to make my company accredited by ICANN,
    So, maybe we could communicate with each other to share our experience
    I Love WHT

Well my experience so far is that any companies related with this proccess try to take advantage of you or just ignore you

My research so far :

1. logicboxes.com / directi.com : looks nice but at the end there are much better alternatives that push this option away
    They overcharge and they have the attitute "take it or leave it"

2. enom.com : Sent email on 17th they replied on 17th and no reply after this at all. Among others they said "The first step is for you to become ICANN accredited. You can get this directly through ICANN or possibly purchase a credential through eNom. The ICANN process takes at least 6 months to 1 year to process and will cost around $10,000 to $15,000 US + application fees, roughly. If you are interested, you may have the option to purchase a Credential
    from eNom. This will take only a day or two and is a cost of $100,000 US"
    I didn't understand what is the Credential from eNom and how eNom is able to give Credentials
    Resend email on 19th and 23rd ... still no reply

3. namefox.com : Sent email on 13th they replied on 15th , i replied on 17th with some additional questions. Resend my emails on 19th - 22nd - 23rd of May. No reply from them at all until now. Maybe they have a problem with their email server or something but assuming that i want to a serious communication, namefox starts getting out of my primary options

4. tucows.com : Never replied the email i sent on 13th of May

Now i wanted to ask adam-pca about the software solution he found
    I know some people working on these issues but i don't trust them to make a registrar software solution
    Is there a reliable firm that is capable for this task and don't ask for $100,000 as i heard by some software firm in the past ?
    Where can we seek for this kind of services ?

DOMN

domn,

Thanks for sharing your research.

When enom says that they will sell you creds - they mean they will sell you a registrar - however - it could mean that they will sell you a registrar without the batch pool connection.

Enoms offer of $100,000 sounds really expensive, but I guess if you are becoming a registrar then you should be able to afford it.

Btw, you have posted the reply timeframes of everyone who seems to be offering some solution - except for logicboxes - do they reply slower/faster than the others?

I must bring to your notice that adam-pca seems to have a wrong idea about the logicboxes software - if you read the other posts on this forum you will realize that the software that DirectI uses (The OrderBox) was supposedly buggy quite some time ago, but everyone seems to be quite happy with it now. And the features that DirectI has are really not available with most other registrars.

Also, adam's suggestion of writing your own software seems expensive, especially if you are looking at reducing costs.
    Jonathan Gibbons

"The Geek shall inherit the earth" - Gibbons 10:4

It can take at least 6 months to become accredited through conventional channels. There is no siler bullet, it takes time and money to make it happen
    Domain Maven

I didn't have personal experience with logicboxes. I learn about them from other forums and personal search around the web so i can't tell about response times. I guess they are good which is certainly a positive point for them but response time is all that matters ?

I'm happy to see you like their software even it sounded like an ad for logicboxes to me but doesn't matter for me
    If you do work for logicboxes then tell them to lower their prices or if you don't that's fine, at least you found a company that worked for you

In my research at this forum i did find also positive replies from people they liked logicboxes but none of them was a registrar
    All of them were resellers or simple users, so i can't tell for sure even as i read in their site registrars and resellers have nearly the same interface

In any case the issue here is not logicboxes but a company like logicboxes and a software firm to develop the software pack

I will give namefox.com 2 more days to reply and then i will move ahead

Do you suggest anything else ?

Look around, there are deals to be found on ICANN registrars that can be bought out right.

With the dropping domain game switching to a pseudo WLS system there will be plenty of tags available. We are just now wrapping up the final details of our own purchase of one.

We actually looked into LogicBoxes and decided against them because they tie you into using their backend for a period of two years(with a per registration fee). We also talked to a couple registrars already using their system and they weren't too happy.

All in all we decided it would be best for us if we develop our own system in house.
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

Directi

Directi Have a MAJOR Problem in all their Support & Management Structure. Not only their LogicBoxes Division
    I have had Major dramas getting any Sensible Answers out of them on any subject and I am a Directi Reseller.
    I went down the Road of Investigating possible ICANN Registration And Decided that the costs couldn't be justified unless selling LOTS of domains. Much better to Pick an Excellent Selection of Reselling Arrangements (I have 6 Reseller Agreements)
    In 5 Different Countries. There is plenty of alternatives to GoDaddy,enom and similiar that still offer Excellent support to their Resellers and Customers.

Last update : None responded
    ( from the above companies i tried to contact )

Do you have a suggestion ?

contact planetdomain.com re reseller agreement Best i have found

Originally posted by Barefoottech
    contact planetdomain.com re reseller agreement Best i have found
    These people are talking ICANN Accreditation - not reseller accounts.

I know that and If you read my Previous Reply I had said maybe Reseller Better option
    Last edited by Barefoottech; 06-02-2005 at 08:17 AM.

accreditation

DOMN,

could you please send me an email offlist (enoss at tucows dot com) with details of the may 13th email that was not replied to.

while a previous poster was correct that what we offer is a completely hosted solution there is essentially no fee for help with the accreditation process.

thanks.

Originally posted by Barefoottech
    I know that and If you read my Previous Reply I had said maybe Reseller Better option
    doh! I'm guilty...didn't see that. Of all the reseller plans I am surprised to see that you recommend planetdomain.

In australia best overall (I am .Have tried them all)

I would still say having larger registrars like opensrs or enom help you with the accredition process would be easier since they have the most experience.
    Domain Maven

lets see how tucows deal go, i contacted them and waiting for info
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

so bashar you trying to be accredited?
    Domain Maven

Originally posted by dmaven
    He may as well, seeing how he already owns half of the registered domains on the internet anyway

There are a few companies that provide value added icann accredition services for a fee. In most cases the same services they are offering you can do yourself(with a little homework).
    RegisterFly.com Client Care Services
    http://www.registerflysupport.com

Originally posted by dmaven
    yeah