* what admin jobs needed ?

if i want to admin my own server what admin tasks would be needed to master ....

i am really looking for a checklist to start learning linux admin , because i feel not all linux stuff is needed for an admin

i am lazy to learn evrything

Start with vi if you want to learn remote admin.

Originally posted by dilidolo
    Start with vi if you want to learn remote admin.

what is vi ???

vi is a text editor like pico, nano etc.....

LoL @ vi

It's a fantastic text editor, but good luck getting out of it once you open it, it takes not two, but three (four?) keys to close it.

Personally, pico is plain but works great and gets the job done.

Once you take the time to learn vi its so worth it. Once you learn the macros its *so* much faster than pico/nano at various things.

That aside, the level of administration will vary according to exactly what you are doing with your machine(s). What you might want to do is grab a book on security and take into account whatever software you expect to be running. If you dont know any *nix at all right now, you should find someone who does. Asking "what do I need to learn" is generally much too broad to get a decent answer on a forum.

Originally posted by nadtz
    Once you take the time to learn vi its so worth it. Once you learn the macros its *so* much faster than pico/nano at various things.

That aside, the level of administration will vary according to exactly what you are doing with your machine(s). What you might want to do is grab a book on security and take into account whatever software you expect to be running. If you dont know any *nix at all right now, you should find someone who does. Asking "what do I need to learn" is generally much too broad to get a decent answer on a forum.
    thank you

i have some linux hands dirty work ... but not so dirty

i want to run a forums (vbulletin) + mysql +FTP+mail server

nothing more ...

i am not expecting a berfect answer , i just want headlines