Need a new host, suggestions?

Hey, I used to be hosted by a friend who resell's NAC servers ( nac.net/networktechnology.asp ). However, recently we have been very frustrated with slower speeds and slow support responces and plan to switch but I am not sure exactly where to go.

NAC, is an extremely good network and I also had some Counterstrike servers hosted on my box in which people received the smoothest gameplay of any other server. However, when it comes to a website how important is that really because I was paying a hefty amount for it. The monthly price was $480 for a 10MB unmetered line.

After looking around I found servermatrix which I think is a reseller of theplanet which is on a much slower and less reliable network but has much cheaper prices seing as how I can get a 20MBps unmetered line for $199.

If anyone could lead me in the right direction to the best host or simple fill me in to the actual real importance of the server behind a website. Are we talking maybe 1-2 seconds longer to load? Cause I can handle that if i'm saving hunreds a month.

no got one myself

I highly doubt you need a 10-20MBps unmetered line for some gameservers and a website. Unless it's a forum type website with over 300 members and active, then possibly.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Re: Need a new host, suggestions?

Originally posted by JoeDirt7

If anyone could lead me in the right direction to the best host or simple fill me in to the actual real importance of the server behind a website. Are we talking maybe 1-2 seconds longer to load? Cause I can handle that if i'm saving hunreds a month.
    You need to consider latency for your game servers. I'm not too familiar with the network at TP, maybe ask for a test ip to ping/trace.

Perhaps you should look for a host that uses NAC bandwidth since you were so happy with their network.

I don't use the line for gaming servers the line is for my website. I just happened to run a few servers off it because i wanted to. I could care less aboutt he gaming servers.

Do a search on wht for providers who use NAC. There's so many out there. Check out 15minuteservers.com.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

My friend IS a provider such as the site you linked to. The reason were switching is because NAC themselves has been moving servers around and speeds have dropped and support is poor. I'm looking for a good option thats cheap but has premium quality for a high traffic website needing a 10-20MB line and NOT using NAC.

JoeDirt7,

I would recommend a provider like steadfastnetworks.com - one of the best I've ever used and flawless traffic speeds (chicago location, level3/savvis).

The affordable pricing certainly doesn't hurt either.
    That said there are other providers out there - are you looking for any specific location ? (chicago? NY? NJ? West coast? Texas?)
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Are you looking to stay in/around NYC? There are plenty of options - you can check out the dedicated offers forum to see quite a few offers.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Well I currently live in Texas but I get traffic reasonably balanced traffic from around the world so maybe an east coast would be my best bet? My site is currently hosted in NJ.

I guess my question is, How much does the network backbone actually matter? I've found some really cheap plans on what my friend claims to be back backbones with "cluttered pipes" and all. If i was running tons of websites and gaming servers or something I could undertsand that being an issue but for one website how much does it really matter?

I've checked out that site you mentioned and they have a pretty good plan but then I see the same bandwidth on servermatrix with a 20MBps line instead of a 10 for $119 instead of $400 or something.

How much does it actually matter?

JoeDirt7,

If you plan on using it for gaming at all it can be extremely important.
    That said for a website - no, as long as you have enough throughput and a decent network behind it there should be no issue.

For one website - go for a decent network with a quality team of guys behind it. I would be wary of TP/SM (servermatrix/theplanet) due to the downtime they have had in the past, if you're going for texas go with ev1servers.net (used them in the past - beyond redundant network, couldn't bring it down even if you wanted to, bit less peppy but I only had a p4 there as I now have a dual xeon for the same price with steadfastnetworks).
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

OrangeFiber
    I've heard alot of good things about them. Just wait until abovenet starts pumping bandwidth into their datacenter.

If you're looking for the lowest ping times and most level service for gaming, Cogent is not a good option for you (SM unmetered, as well as OrangeFiber). Those offerings are designed to provide high bandwidth allotments affordably. They are not designed for best performance. If you don't need 20Mbit unmetered, and it seems that you don't (I'm not sure you even need 10Mbit unmetered) don't buy it.

How much traffic are you currently pushing? An average box for a game server does ~3Mbit of traffic.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

I would prefer servermatrix, they are actually not a reseller for theplanet, theplanet actually owns servermatrix. When I had a few servers with them I never experienced downtime, and for the price, who can beat it?

adb22791,

You mean until they're already saturated, oops?

Even UUNet couldn't help that (although I admit - UUNet bandwidth is amazing I abuse it everyday at the office O )
    David

Originally posted by HP-David
    adb22791,

You mean until they're already saturated, oops?

Even UUNet couldn't help that (although I admit - UUNet bandwidth is amazing I abuse it everyday at the office O )
    Oops indeed ... actually, it says Orange Fiber has abovenet lines installed and is using abovenet bandwidth on their site... go figure.