Verizon fiOS?

Currently in my home we have the Comcast 6mb down/768up in the house.

We received a letter in the mail for Verzion fiber optics offering 15mb down/2 mb up for the exact price. [44.99]

and for the lower speed 5mb down / 2mb up for 34.99

anyways, question is, has anyone used/tried the service, i've never seen anything soo cheap for the home.
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

I do not have it, but a lot of my friends do, and it's great and fast. And No Taxes so far on the FIOS fees either. So it's just $34.99 for it, not $34.99 + Fees, as the FCC hasn't added taxes to fiber services yet like FIOS.

Verizon FIOS is a phenomenol alternative to DSL/Cable, It's really going to break a hole in Cable companies marketing schemes as they can no longer claim to be fastest. Optimum Online claims to have the network capacity to double FIOS's speeds with it's current network however they claim to be withholding this speed for future times. Maybe they'll start speeding up their network with Verizon's FIOS taking all their customers.

Originally posted by plexone
    Verizon FIOS is a phenomenol alternative to DSL/Cable, It's really going to break a hole in Cable companies marketing schemes as they can no longer claim to be fastest. Optimum Online claims to have the network capacity to double FIOS's speeds with it's current network however they claim to be withholding this speed for future times. Maybe they'll start speeding up their network with Verizon's FIOS taking all their customers.
    Comcast's CRAN Network is said to be very competitive with FIOS once it's completed.

Verizon gets my vote. If you can switch away from Comcast... Do it.
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

I have been hoping for this service to come around to my area. You are one, very, very, very lucky person indeed!

I am on the Cox Communications 6mb/down 768kb/up for about $30.00 per month package. Its pretty fast.. I don't have any complaints.

I've heard some not so great things about Verizons offer. If it was me, I would stay away until more people have signed up..
    Last edited by JRSEOMarketing; 05-17-2005 at 05:52 PM.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

Im in the city where it first started, and i STILL cannot get it. They are very unefficient, and its beem over 6 months. The only answer i get when i call is "its been installed in your area, but your address hasent been registered yet, we will call you back". No call back.

Originally posted by RealtorHost
    I am on the Cox Communications 6mb/down 768kb/up for about $30.00 per month package. Its pretty fast.. I don't have any complaints.

I've heard some not so great things about Verizons offer. If it was me, I would stay away until more people have signed up..
    I wish it were that simple.

We pay here in dallas 45.00 and after surcharges and taxes bill comes out to 60.

However, the only advantage we have is that we are getting free cable. Don't know how, but the cable guys always give us free cable tv after we tell them specifically we have a dish and don't need it lol.
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

I just read on the cox.net website 5mb/down is $55.00 per month.. which is odd as I can easily get up to 700kb - 750KB/sec downloads.. which is roughly 6mb/down.. and i've gotten over 1.6MB/down from microsoft.com a few times.. I only pay $30/mo.. guess no one around me uses cox.. good..

I hope fiOS works well.. more competion, is what I like to see!
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

I called Comcast and they agreed to lower our bill to 30 dollars, so it doesn't seem like we will be changing until something happens with the connection. We'll see how it goes.
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

Originally posted by adidasrta
    However, the only advantage we have is that we are getting free cable. Don't know how, but the cable guys always give us free cable tv after we tell them specifically we have a dish and don't need it lol.

Sounds like someone was too lazy to put a simple filter on the line.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

you'd be amazed, we've had 4-5 different techs come out here [usually the same 5 guys, however] but i think the problem is that they'd have to rewire the whole house.
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

Originally posted by adidasrta
    you'd be amazed, we've had 4-5 different techs come out here [usually the same 5 guys, however] but i think the problem is that they'd have to rewire the whole house.
    Filter goes on the outside of the house, before the line even comes in. Can be done in your cable box outside the house, or up on the pole.

It's a lazy tech. Around here (St. Louis Metro Area) Charter cable will actively put those filters on. Then again Charter does have a good audit team, who keeps track of users 'stealing' cable.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

You are SO lucky to have FIOS available! I'm currently an Optimum Online subscriber and I'm drooling at the speeds of FIOS users. I'll be switching the moment it becomes available in my area.

I want FIOS but they aren't offering it in my area yet and probably won't!
    Kerry Jones

only $50/mo

I cant wait till this service reaches my area!

I can't get FIOS yet either, I can't wait!

I have Optimum Online...

I hate Cablevision

When Fios comes, I'm dropping the TV too, going satellite.

Anyone know if there are limitations on your bandwidth usage with Fios? Optimum caps your download @ like 15KB/s if you use "too much" upstream but won't tell you how much is "too much"

Robin Alex
    At your service....

20. Where do you live that you get such high speeds?!?

outside of dallas
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

Any links to where and when they are rolling it out?

Robin Alex
    At your service....

not available yet for me in mass. Cmon move it verizon.

I don't get why everyone is so excited about FIOS especially since cable is going to blow it away. Cox is already starting to offer 15/2 in VA and the Comcast CEO was talking about how in the near future they will be able to offer 200 mbit down.

Originally posted by RossH
    I don't get why everyone is so excited about FIOS especially since cable is going to blow it away. Cox is already starting to offer 15/2 in VA and the Comcast CEO was talking about how in the near future they will be able to offer 200 mbit down.
    15/2 over coax lines vs FIOS over Fiber to the home. 15/2 may be fiber to the node, but it'll be coax to the home. Comcast's CEO is always talking about the future, well the future is here and their customers are suffering.

Adelphia has announced 1/10 and 15/2 as well in the next quarter.

Fiber optics in your home?

They're beginning to install residential fiber optics in our area with the provider being Verizon. Anyone here use fios or Verizon's fios service, by any chance in their homes? I'm not sure what the price is said to be but I've heard it's fairly cheaper than cable.

I've heard fiber is not worth it unless you have gig connection but just checking if anyone on WHT may have it. I'm currently running on cable at the moment.

EDIT: Should of used search feature before posting.....

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...t=fiber+optics

Sorry about that.
    Last edited by x5internet; 06-09-2005 at 10:15 PM.
    X5 Internet - Cheap, affordable web hosting w/ dedicated solutions!
    24/7 support, 99.9% uptime, cPanel & More

..Everything you want from a hosting company..

Verizon is stupid and hasent turned it on for our street for the past 7 months, and its been installed in the street for a year.

My buddy has it, its alot faster then cable, at the same price, or cheaper for lower plan.

Originally posted by Rob83
    15/2 over coax lines vs FIOS over Fiber to the home. 15/2 may be fiber to the node, but it'll be coax to the home. Comcast's CEO is always talking about the future, well the future is here and their customers are suffering.

Adelphia has announced 1/10 and 15/2 as well in the next quarter.

15/2? How muc his that goin to cost? $200? $300?

Originally posted by RandyT
    15/2? How muc his that goin to cost? $200? $300?
    15/2 FIOS (Fiber) I believe is ~30/mo.

As for cable 15/2. It won't be $200-300/mo. Probably in the 70ish to 100/mo. range.

I hate Adelphia sometimes : / Need Verizon FIOS!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by RandyT
    I hate Adelphia sometimes : / Need Verizon FIOS!!!!!!!!
    Just think, in 6 months, you'll be a comcast or timewarner customer. Then you'll really hate it.

Originally posted by Rob83
    Just think, in 6 months, you'll be a comcast or timewarner customer. Then you'll really hate it.
    Nope Im going to switch to Verizon And for my cable, screw it, I have $200 in my bank account, Ill start my own ''Adelphia'' LOL

I have comcast, and its been great, i have never seen my internet down, though i can not check it 24/7/365 but everytime i get on it, it is always fast, and great!

Originally posted by Criminal#58369
    I have comcast, and its been great, i have never seen my internet down, though i can not check it 24/7/365 but everytime i get on it, it is always fast, and great!
    We're not talking about Comcast, or cable internet. We're talking about Verizon's fiber optic service, FIOS.
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Including an RSS feed that you can syndicate!
    Daily Updated Web Hosting News Blog
    Unlimited vs. Unmetered bandwidth

Lucky! I am looking forward to fios in my area I have been looking at it since it was first mentioned..

Heres the speed/price chart:
    5Mbps/2Mbps 39.95/mo
    15Mbps/2Mbps 49.95/mo
    30Mbps/5Mbps 199.95/mo
    Down/Up

SBC DSL - 1.5Mbps/384k
    Comcast Cable - 4Mbps/768k

Fios is a huge step forward for broadband I simply cannot wait

I have it.
    I was promised 15 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up.
    I get around...
    16.5 Mbps down and 2.3 Mbps up

It also has great uptime. Just be sure to replace the Dlink router they give you.

Originally posted by adb22791
    I have it.
    I was promised 15 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up.
    I get around...
    16.5 Mbps down and 2.3 Mbps up

It also has great uptime. Just be sure to replace the Dlink router they give you.
    Wow.. that's awesome, looks like I'm going to have to switch over from Comcast, which means new phone number as well
    X5 Internet - Cheap, affordable web hosting w/ dedicated solutions!
    24/7 support, 99.9% uptime, cPanel & More

..Everything you want from a hosting company..

....is that FIOS available in texas ?Houston area ?

currectly useing rr.it sux all i can say.350kd/45kup 45.99/m
    looking for good webhost

Originally posted by manyie
    ....is that FIOS available in texas ?Houston area ?

currectly useing rr.it sux all i can say.350kd/45kup 45.99/m

http://www.verizonfios.com/ scroll down and click "Is Fios available at your address? Find Out here! It should tell you if its avaible for you