reseller/ded. servers in Oz

Hi everyone this is my first post, i have been reading a lot of posts over the last 5-6 months.
    I have 10-15 people who i have helped set-up host accounts over the years and the majority are making noises about moving because of problems with their host (same host) who have changed hands and slowly going down hill.
    I have a fairly good knowledge of apache/mail servers/ph etc but not confident to go it alone so i am thinking of starting a reseller account.
    Can anyone tell me this:
    1. A reputable re-seller in Australia(maybe Aussie-bob can help)

2. If i go with a re-seller, and later need to move to managed Ded. server--does it need to be at the same data-center of the original re-seller account.

What worries me is i dont know much about data-centers and whether the host of my re-seller account is with a good one or not, ----some hosts onsell their own servers, can i deal directly with the data-center--how does this all work.

Any other advice appreciated!!!!

Okay, it doesn't matter where in the world you are, but I'm in Melbourne so I may be close to you

I have a fairly good knowledge of apache/mail servers/ph etc but not confident to go it alone so i am thinking of starting a reseller account.
    Thats a good idea. Reseller accounts from reputable providers make hosting much easier.

1. A reputable re-seller in Australia(maybe Aussie-bob can help)
    Does the reseller have to be Australian? American providers are MUCH, MUCH more cost effective and just as fast for the end user.

2. If i go with a re-seller, and later need to move to managed Ded. server--does it need to be at the same data-center of the original re-seller account.
    No, if you decide to move from a reseller to a dedicated server, its very easy to change no matter what country or datacentre you are in. Programs such as cPanel can even import your data from another server!

What worries me is i dont know much about data-centers and whether the host of my re-seller account is with a good one or not,
    This I can't answer efficiently. Decide on a list of hosts, read about them and do a search here on WebHostingTalk (WHT) for peoples opinions.

can i deal directly with the data-center
    You can, but it does depend on the datacentre. Some do not like dealing with small customers (which is 3 racks, around 20 servers, or less) and others do. As a reseller you should never need to contact the datacentre.

I hope I answered your questions... and if I haven't please ask away!
    Hostime Managed Hosting
    Opening the bridge between your business and the world.
    http://www.hostime.com

I'm in australia, however because of the Really high server costs in AU, its way cheaper to use a US server, and personally, i find no difference in ping times or download rates from an AU server to a US server.
    Rob G.
    ShopManager - Sales & Repair Business Management Software

Hi

Goto Chalice Web

www.chaliceweb.com.au

The run Aussie servers and they come with everything you will need. They are experts in hosting and e-commerce, etc.

Before I settled with them I jumped hosts a dozen times. This is the first Aussie host I have felt totally comfortable with. They are there to help and they trully want the best for their clients and their clients clients.

Performance is good and options are the best I've seen.

Cheers and good luck.

Originally posted by whatever

Does the reseller have to be Australian? American providers are MUCH, MUCH more cost effective and just as fast for the end user.
    Please don't post false information.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Originally posted by LSChosting
    , i find no difference in ping times
    Really? How about you ping tpg.com.au and then theplanet.com

So you’re saying you have an internet connection that goes faster than the speed of light? Well theoretically you could be correct you might be using a poor ISP that overloads its links.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

Thumbs up Good point

Originally posted by coight
    Really? How about you ping tpg.com.au and then theplanet.com

So you’re saying you have an internet connection that goes faster than the speed of light? Well theoretically you could be correct you might be using a poor ISP that overloads its links.
    Good point, coight.

Still, it would be worth considering a US-based host due to the costs.. most AU-based hosts tend to be much more expensive due to the market here. If you can forgo a bit of ping time, it would probably well be worth considering something US-based unless you're going to be needing uber-high bandwidth.

I may have misunderstood the second question, but I'd say that if you did need to move to a dedicated server later down the track that your own dedicated server would reside at the same datacentre if you're going through the same host.
    Logan S.
    IT Support
    Hosting2NV - The Fresh Way to Look at Hosting!
    We are the search engine and GPTR hosting experts!

Re: Good point

Originally posted by 2NV-Shaman
    Still, it would be worth considering a US-based host due to the costs.
    At the expense of what though? Repeat business? Word of mouth recommendations? If you can attract more business by providing a site visitor with a good experience, you're only losing money by trying to save a few dollars on US based hosting.

For a personal/hobby site, or one that perhaps uses a lot of bandwidth and the site owner isn't generating enough income from it to pay his own way, then US based hosting would be worth considering. But for general/normal sites, and certainly any type of business/commercial website, then Australian based hosting is a must.

Gary

Re: Re: Good point

Originally posted by AussieHosts
    At the expense of what though? Repeat business? Word of mouth recommendations? If you can attract more business by providing a site visitor with a good experience, you're only losing money by trying to save a few dollars on US based hosting.

For a personal/hobby site, or one that perhaps uses a lot of bandwidth and the site owner isn't generating enough income from it to pay his own way, then US based hosting would be worth considering. But for general/normal sites, and certainly any type of business/commercial website, then Australian based hosting is a must.

Gary
    As I said, US hosts would be worth considering due to the costs. He / she's just starting, so capital may not be in his favour at the moment - hence the suggestion of a US-based host. As time progresses, move to an Aussie host when he could afford it

_IF_ you can provide a site visitor with a good experience on a US-based server (enough to build a customer-base) then you can make the move to an Australian server and continue the high-level of visitor experience there, all the time keeping capital down.

If capital isn't a problem, then I'd suggest go straight for the Australian server.

It would be unwise to spend a larger percentage of hard-earned money on something that you don't INITIALLY need which doesn't guarantee you an instant customer-base (and hence profit).

At the end of the day, it's all about Anasta's situation and whether he / she can afford to go straight into the Aussie hosting market and purchase a server based here
    Logan S.
    IT Support

Re: Re: Re: Good point

Originally posted by 2NV-Shaman
    At the end of the day, it's all about Anasta's situation and whether he / she can afford to go straight into the Aussie hosting market and purchase a server based here
    He/She might not be able to afford to change later, if he/she just joins the abundance of other providers doing the same thing.

The startup costs are no different. The only real difference, if you are looking at it just from a cost point of view, is the amount of data transfer you can get allocated. So instead of 2000GB, you'd be looking at 200GB for around the money. Which brings us back to the point of...if you are hosting general/normal sites (500-600MB/mth), or business/commercial sites (who shouldn't have any problem with their "cost of doing business" hosting charge), I see no reason why an Australian provider would automatically consider starting up in the US today when local services are much more cost effective than 2+ years ago and provide much better results.

Gary

Re: Re: Re: Re: Good point

Originally posted by AussieHosts
    I see no reason why an Australian provider would automatically consider starting up in the US today when local services are much more cost effective than 2+ years ago and provide much better results.
    10x the bandwidth for the same cost at slightly slower speed sounds good to me But you're entitled to your opinion. I guess there's a reason why very few US users choose to use Aussie dedicated servers for hosting their sites.

He/She might not be able to afford to change later, if he/she just joins the abundance of other providers doing the same thing.
    To argue this with your original point: IF you can provide a good experience with more resources for the same cost at your fingertips, locale doesn't matter. IF you can do it, you will be successful and then should move to something in your niche. Just because a server is located in the US doesn't mean you can't have Aussie content on it IF you can't do it - why even consider re-selling?

True, Aussie services are MORE cost effective but not AS cost effective as a US server. Over time, the Aussie dollar will grow stronger (it has done so markedly over the past 2 years), and then we will be in a much more competitive situation. However as it stands right now, US servers simply offer much more for your money.

It doesn't sound like it's going to be something very full-on initially (correct me if I'm wrong), Anasta, so hence my suggestion of going for a US server initially. When commitment, knowledge and your pockets grow, move to something closer that will serve your customers better
    Logan S.
    IT Support