Angry Recent Problem with Colo Provider

Hello Everyone,

I noticed recently that I am having problems with one of the colo providers that I currently utilize. The problems stemmed from lagged server times. As of right now I am receiving ping times anywhere from 150ms - 200+ms from this provider. These ping times are normally around 15 - 20 ms. I will not mention the provider's name because I rather find out a way to resolve this in a friendly manner. I alerted the provider that there server that typically pings anywhere from 15 - 20 ms is also experiencing the same lag.

The reply I received was the following:

"A few of your servers, and the entire network has been bursting at max recently. Since us all on a shared line, it will cause slowness with the network response time. We are sorry for this inconvenient."

The servers went back to the normal ping times between 15 - 20 ms for a few hours then they went right back up to 150ms - 200ms ping times, where they have continued to stay at. I decided to ping the provider's server and there server which normally experiences the same lag time that the 9 servers I have colocated with them experience is getting ping times of 57ms.

Let me know your feelings on this situation and the course that should be taken to get things corrected. I have been told by a few others in the industry that the provider is oversubscribing the line we are on. Is this a normal practice? I pay for 1U colo space on 9 servers that comes with a quote "100mbps connection". I have never seen speeds at that 100mbps rate and understand that the line is probably shared. But now my dedicated server clients at this provider can only download to the server at 100kb/sec. It is a bit frustrating so I figured I would see what the members here thought.
    Last edited by datacenterdirectory; 05-17-2005 at 03:02 AM.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

Sounds like you are getting the shaft to me. But, the depends on a number of factors, including what service you are actually paying for (eg, are you suppsed to have dedicated bandwidth or ???), etc. I would push your colo shop to provide you with options for for resolving the problem, and a timeline. If you signed up for a shared bandwidth product, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to offer you some sort of a dedicated bandwidth product at a higher cost, but at the very least, they should lay the options out for you.

If they don't / can't / are not willing to do this for you, then I'd have to say that they don't really know what they are doing, or can't / won't invest the neccessary funds into their infrastructure to support their growth, or have failed to plan for for their growth and it's now catching up to them.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Thanks for the reply Jay,

I currently pay for 1U space + 2000 gb of bandwidth as a base for each server. I am unable to utilize the bandwidth fully because of the slow speeds.

I truthfully feel you hit it on the nail with the company not investing enough into their infrastructure. I guess my search has started for a company that actually can provide the service that I need.

One more addition.

I am only 1 hour away from the DC. I get better ping times to the east coast then to the servers that are colocated with the provider I am currently using.
    Last edited by datacenterdirectory; 05-17-2005 at 04:02 AM.
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

Youch.. Have you asked if they plan on adding more bandwidth or if they are just going to allow this to continue for the forseable future? I would have to say that it is definately not a pleasant experience.. Do you buy direct from the DC or a customer located in the dc.
    James Lumby

I'm guessing it's Calpop! am I right? I'm not guessing from the problem you're getting, I'm guessing because of your package.
    http://Ethr.net jay@ethr.net
    West Coast AT&T / Level3 / Savvis Bandwidth, Colocation, Dedicated Server, Managed IP Service, Hardware Load Balancing Service, Transport Service, 365 Main St, SFO / 200 Paul Ave, SFO / PAIX, PAO / Market Post Tower, 55 S. Market, SJC / 11 Great Oaks, Equinix, SJC

talkwebhosts,

I wonder if they're maxing out their connection or just their hardware behind it.

(routers and whatnot)

I would look into a few alternates - I'm sure you're paying a pretty penny for the setup you have so it'd be best to look elsewhere if they don't clean up their act quickly.

You pay too much for silly mistakes.

//Bet they're still accepting sales too.

Originally posted by lumbyjj
    Youch.. Have you asked if they plan on adding more bandwidth or if they are just going to allow this to continue for the forseable future? I would have to say that it is definately not a pleasant experience.. Do you buy direct from the DC or a customer located in the dc.
    I buy from a customer located in the DC. Not it definitely is not a pleasant experience, apparently they are trying to pinpoint the person who is abusing the shared line. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Originally posted by Mfjp
    I'm guessing it's Calpop! am I right? I'm not guessing from the problem you're getting, I'm guessing because of your package.
    I would never colocate my servers with Calpop. The company I am utilizing now has been decent until these issues.

Originally posted by HP-David
    talkwebhosts,

I wonder if they're maxing out their connection or just their hardware behind it.

(routers and whatnot)

I would look into a few alternates - I'm sure you're paying a pretty penny for the setup you have so it'd be best to look elsewhere if they don't clean up their act quickly.

You pay too much for silly mistakes.

//Bet they're still accepting sales too.
    I agree a backup plan is definitely needed in this situation. I am actively seeking one.

Originally posted by talkwebhosts
    I buy from a customer located in the DC. Not it definitely is not a pleasant experience, apparently they are trying to pinpoint the person who is abusing the shared line. I will let everyone know how it goes.
    If they are "trying to pinpoint the person who is abusing the shared line" then they're too clueless to be offering service to downstream customers. I suggest you get away from those folks as quickly as possible.
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Originally posted by jsw6
    If they are "trying to pinpoint the person who is abusing the shared line" then they're too clueless to be offering service to downstream customers. I suggest you get away from those folks as quickly as possible.
    Agreed. This should be a trivial task. If it takes them more than 5 minutes to do, you're co-locating with the wrong company.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Originally posted by Mfjp
    I got a 1/4 rack with CalPop, and havent had any real issues. Ive been with them for about a year and a half.
    But yea your right about the plans.
    • Max Wilson •

Originally posted by bqinternet
    ......you're co-locating with the wrong company.
    No, he didn't give the name of the name of the company, besides I didn't know the wrong company did colo?
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability