Question Bandwidth Limitations. Why?

I've been doing my research, and I don't understand why the "better" hosting providers (PowerVPS, ServInt, LiquidWeb) don't really support VPS hosting plans over 500 - 600 GB?

I'm looking for a hosting provider than can support 750 GB - 1.5 Terabytes. But I'm really not willing to pay $1 / GB which would could cost me an additional $250 - $1,000 a month.

All the hosting providers that support 1 Terabyte or more seem to be on the unreliable side.

Is there anyone out there that uses a lot of bandwidth but has got a good deal with a reliable web host?

What do you plan on using so much bandwidth for? Perhaps looking at the adult-oriented providers would yield better results, as they seem to have a rather "realistic" view towards bandwidth pricing.

You should never be paying $1 per GB anyway, might as well get a dedicated box from a good US carrier instead.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

well we're looking to launch a radio and tv ad campaign. Our reach is going to be about 7-8 million listeners. We're expecting to drive most of the traffic to the web, hence we're expecting about 2 million visitors on the web within a 2-3 week period.

Our current website, gotvibe dot com, is very simple. But we're looking to push out an osCommerce like site with 3-4 different products. So we're expecting about 500 k - 1 mb per user.

So, we avg. it out to about 1 terabyte in 2-3 weeks.

I don't think we can go to a fully dedicated server since we don't have the technical know how to handle that on our own. We'll need something that is managed.

Do you have any suggestions on a "reliable" provider that could handle a bandwidth of that magnitude without dipping into overages?

There are a handful of qualified VPS providers on these forums, I don't have experience with any US based providers, however I have read dozens of positive reviews of PowerVPS; both on performance & reliability.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

Yeah, we're looking at PowerVPS and ServInt as reliable providers, but they lack the bandwidth we need. They only provide 500 GB at their max., we need 750 GB - 1,000 GB

If you contact their sales dept's they may be able to work something out for you... most hosts will be willing to accomodate youur needs.
    Rob G.
    ShopManager - Sales & Repair Business Management Software

Originally posted by phaithful
    Yeah, we're looking at PowerVPS and ServInt as reliable providers, but they lack the bandwidth we need. They only provide 500 GB at their max., we need 750 GB - 1,000 GB

You can try this host : (FDCSERVERS)

http://www.fdcservers.net/fdcvps.html

(you can go for the 3mbps plan)

I don't have personal expierence with them and the reviews in WHT are mixed about them.

Try contacting a few reliable hosts. Most would be able to provide custom plans for stuff like this.
    Checkout www.crunzh.com for nice freeware programs. Including a program for monitoring your webserver.
    Any opinions in this post, unless otherwise noted, are my own personal opinions.

Re: Bandwidth Limitations. Why?

I've been doing my research, and I don't understand why the "better" hosting providers (PowerVPS, ServInt, LiquidWeb) don't really support VPS hosting plans over 500 - 600 GB?
    I think the answer is down to selling dedicated servers. As a provider would you rather sell a dedicated server at $150+/mo with 1200Gb transfer or a VPS at $100/mo? Long term wise the dedicated will bring you more profit

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Part of the reason could be fairness to other users on the VPS server. While it's easy to limit ram/cpu/bandwidth on a VPS server the real bottleneck is disk IO. This is not something that can be limited very well at this point. Giving one user access to 2-3 times more the bandwidth than everyone else, and knowing that they're going to fully utilize it -- gives the provider the sense that one account might use a lot of resouces on a single hardware node....Just my 2 cents.
    Spry Virtual Server/VPS Hosting
    Linux Dedicated Resource Virtual Servers, Virtual Private Servers, WHM / cPanel Licensing
    VPSLink Cheap VPS XEN and OpenVZ
    CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Slackware, cPanel, DirectAdmin, HostInABox, LAMP, Ruby pre-installed

Why do you want VPS rather than dedicated? Surely you could afford a solid dedicated server with management package if your spending out on TV and Radio advertising... your server would be a tiny part of the budget...
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Originally posted by msh
    Try contacting a few reliable hosts. Most would be able to provide custom plans for stuff like this.
    Agree with above. From my experience powervps will work with you quite a bit. I've got a number of accounts there and we've discussed a lot of custom configurations. From the sounds of it, quite a few of their customers have custom setups. At least for their colo, bw rates are very good ($60/mbit or $85/500gb) though for the reasons other people have mentioned this wouldn't apply to a VPS.

well we're looking to launch a radio and tv ad campaign. Our reach is going to be about 7-8 million listeners. We're expecting to drive most of the traffic to the web, hence we're expecting about 2 million visitors on the web within a 2-3 week period.
    As its been said above, I too would suggest looking at a dedicated server. You may also wish to speak with your financial team, as it strikes me as odd that they'd approve a budget to market on TV to 8 million people, but will only give you about $50/month to spend on webhosting.
    ServInt
    Providing Managed VPS for over 11 years
    Managed Dedicated Servers for almost 19 years!
    http://www.servint.net

well I'm not limited to just $50/month and the TV and Radio spots are at bargain rates since we pulled a lot of strings to get them.

We don't have the technical know how to maintain a dedicated server on our own. A fully managed server is something that we would need, but from what I've read on the forums, there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a fully managed dedicated server.

We're looking to budget around $250 / month max for the initial roll out. If it looks like everything is good, then we can push the budget out further.

But we don't want to sign up for a $150 plan (500 GB) and get stuck with an additional $500 bill for overages if we hit 1 terabyte (500 GB more than the plan @ $1 / GB overage).

It's not that we don't have the budget, we just want to be cost efficient.

So it sounds like a dedicated server is the way to go, but is there such a thing as a cost effective fully managed dedicated server? We don't want to spend all our efforts learning how to manage the server.

Is there a hosting provider out there that can offer a dedicated server for users who have very limited knowledge of unix and apache?
    Last edited by phaithful; 05-17-2005 at 12:20 PM.

for $250/month you should be able to find a fully managed server meaning that the companies admin will update the server as required.

phaithful,

I would highly recommend just going straight to dedicated - and yes, many of the providers out there will have absolutely no issue with handling things for you, holding your hand, etc.

Again - just research any providers you're considering. A lot of them are willing to go out of their way to satisfy your needs as a client.

No need to jump to a server with insane specifications - but most servers with a terabyte of bandwidth are quite cheap.

Look into a few - contact a few - you'll be happy if you do the right research ahead of time.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

The main reason there are not really any (reliable) hosting providers offering such amounts of bandwidth is that the costs would be very similar to those of a dedicated server with the same amount of bandwidth. The whole idea behind VPS technology is that it's cheaper for the customer, so that defeats the entire purpose of the VPS.

But if you really want to go for VPS, it's best to just contact a few companies and see what they offer you. We would be able to offer you that kind of bandwidth but (as said) the price would be about the same as that of a dedicated server.

I think you could also just grad a resonably priced dedicated server, and out source your management needs to some reliable third party (it should be easy with your budget of $100++ remaining out of your budget of $250 after renting the dedicates erver). Please post back how it went, and what you did.

Thanks for all your help!

I contacted a few providers and felt most comfortable with ServInt.

Surprisingly, PowerVPS's parent company Defender Hosting has their website underconstruction (you'd think they would have left their old one up to continue to do business). And when I called Defender for dedicated hosting solutions (around 3 PM EST) I was sent to voicemail.

Needless to say we were instantly turned off by PowerVPS / Defender even though there are many good reviews here on the forums about them.

Like you all said, most suggested just a dedicated server for the bandwidth we needed.

Since we have a tight time frame we purchased the Ultimate VPS @ $129/month that has 500 GB (It was set up in less than 3 hours).

We couldn't wait the 3-5 days for the dedicated server to be setup.

However, once we see how the first city in our radio & tv campaign goes, we'll be able to determine if we need to upgrade to that dedicated server, which ServInt said that it would take 3-5 days to setup + 2 days to transfer the data, which seems reasonable.

So far so good.

It's a big difference going from a shared server environment to a VPS... I was very lost about how to setup the DNS and everything else, however, the ServInt forums were very helpful and within 2 hours I was back on my feet.
    Last edited by phaithful; 05-18-2005 at 02:13 PM.

It should not take more than 48 hours (Mn-Fr) to setup a server and data transfer certainly should not take more than a day. Unless of course you are moving TB's of data which is unlikely. Last but not least your budget of $250.00/mo while on the low end is not unreasonable for fully managed dedicated servers. Make sure you understand exactly what fully managed means to the provider you choose. This defintion varies from reactive to proactive and are different with every provider.

Good luck you made a good choice by going with ServInt. I have read tons of great reviews by them. You should have a company like Servint in mind to convert over to dedicated when you are ready. Another good managed server company is LiquidWeb.