View Poll Results: Which control panel do you prefer?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cpanel/WHM

41 67.21%
  • PLESK

12 19.67%
  • Direct Admin

8 13.11%

Most popular control panel?

Hello,
    Which webhosting control panel do you prefer and (if you want) why?

Best Regards
    Oskar R

CPanel,

It's more easy to manage everything from php to shopping cart and emails, it's just easy, it's appealing to new users yet top pick aswell for experienced guys.
    You can basically manage everything in a fast enviroment and well organized place, you get the basics for you stats and monitoring your bandwidth and the best part is , it's easy yet powerfull.
    I guess that pretty much described, easy and powerfull.

CellShade

cpanel.. it runs alot better on low end servers than plesk, and ive never used direct admin so i dont know what that does

Direct Admin is for VPS and dedicated servers if i am not mistaken.

CellShade.

If you are looking to only host in a Linux platform it appears that cpanel has the majority of users. This is most likely due to its low cost.

If you want to truly automate everything from sign ups, support and accounting on a dual platform Linux and Windows you should check out h-sphere from psoft.net. We have used them for many years and have been very happy. It allows us some customization which we like but it does require a more advanced knowledge than some of the other packages.

Other advantages it offers is the ability to spread your users over a cluster of servers so if any one piece of equipment should fail not all of your sites will be affected.

You can separate services (web, dns, mysql, pgsql, urchin, ect) on to dedicated machines for better performance.
    Link On Us .com
    H-Sphere Windows & Linux Hosting - Since 1998
    ----------------------------------------------
    One Wilshire Corridor, Los Angeles, Calif

Yeah h-sphere is good, but still overall cpanel wins, besides it's totally different comparasion,fire and wind, different stuff.

CellShade

CPanel easily wins the race
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

We use Plesk and find it’s an amazing control panel allowing easy access to all features with ease.

Haven’t had any issues with it at the moment and will continue to use it, it also has an amazing graphical user interface which is extremely appealing to new users.

Never used any other control panel yet so can’t comment on others.
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

H-Sphere is about to kick but on cpanel

One of the features that is soon to be released is something like fantisco. If will allow for customers to self install a number of scripts.
    Mambo CMS
    b2evolution
    Advanced Poll
    Coppermine Photo Gallery
    PHP Wiki
    phpMyChat
    SugarSale
    FeedOnFeeds
    sRecommender
    helpCenterLive
    phpESP
    phpMyCounter
    CubeCart
    phpCoin
    XMB Forum
    phpNuke
    phpAdsNew
    SiteBar
    Web Cards
    Xoops
    phpMyFAQ
    CS Live Helper
    Gallery
    SM Forum
    phpBB2
    osCommerce2
    PHProjekt
    e107

If you are looking for a single application to competely manage your hosting enviroment, I don't think you can beat it. If you are planning on a single server rollout then mabey cpanel would be a better choice.
    Link On Us .com
    H-Sphere Windows & Linux Hosting - Since 1998
    ----------------------------------------------
    One Wilshire Corridor, Los Angeles, Calif

I would personally choose a control panel which is stable and reliable at managing all the domains.

I would not consider choosing a control panel due to the fact that it allows clients to install lots of scripts themselves, as it may fail in other areas especially if that’s the only key selling point the control panel has

Besides, many scripts are simple to install and come with setup instructions, so most clients would find installation of such scripts easy, and if they don’t, it doesn’t take too long to install them for the client.
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

We only have experience with cPanel/WHM, but both fit our requirements. Although there might be better solutions around we would choose a cPanel/WHM account again next time because we know how to manage it.

Re: H-Sphere is about to kick but on cpanel

Originally posted by LinkOnUs.com(geocash)
    One of the features that is soon to be released is something like fantisco. If will allow for customers to self install a number of scripts.
    Mambo CMS
    b2evolution
    Advanced Poll
    Coppermine Photo Gallery
    PHP Wiki
    phpMyChat
    SugarSale
    FeedOnFeeds
    sRecommender
    helpCenterLive
    phpESP
    phpMyCounter
    CubeCart
    phpCoin
    XMB Forum
    phpNuke
    phpAdsNew
    SiteBar
    Web Cards
    Xoops
    phpMyFAQ
    CS Live Helper
    Gallery
    SM Forum
    phpBB2
    osCommerce2
    PHProjekt
    e107

If you are looking for a single application to competely manage your hosting enviroment, I don't think you can beat it. If you are planning on a single server rollout then mabey cpanel would be a better choice.
    OpenInstaller already does that - I don't see what the difference is, and free.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused — For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Plesk 7 Reloaded and cPanel/WHM are two great control panels and it does not matter which one does the job and it is a matter of what the admin prefers.

cPanel for endusers (Domain admin) is more user friendly.

cPanel hands down.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

cpanel is the most popular.

you forgot ensim in the poll though.

Would be nice if someone could put all the control panels on a face-off and compare options, "dummy proof test" and comments from 3-4 different levels:

Admin, Reseller,Domain, End-User

Never worked with Ensim?

Ensim is ok, still i go with cpanel.

CellShade

cpanel is lots more user friendly. latest version rocks.

What version was it?

CellShade

CPanel/WHM is more popular, but I prefer Plesk 7.5 Reloaded. I've had 3 years of experience with CPanel/WHM and didn't like it at all -- WHM feels kind of broken and buggy (CPanel is better though, especially the latest versions).

Plesk feels more robust, less "sloppy" and a lot easier to understand and use. I choose Plesk for my current and future servers.

Yup I am a Plesk guy myself but then again, I haven’t used any other control panel.

I have used WebFusions old control panel, however, I don’t think that can even be called a control panel, it was terrible.
    Tahir Ahmed

I think DirectAdmin is probably the most secure, easy-to-use and streamlined control panel I've used as of late. My clients think it's God's gift of mankind, and I believe them!

For those of you that are tempted to move over to DA, but don't want to lose Fantastico, there is a package suite called Installatron (which is ultimately VERY cheap) that has more packages available than Fantastico itself! Check it out!

Cheers,
    Josh
    Voxxit - Accessible Web Design & Secure, Affordable Web Hosting
    Now offering 501(c)3 non-profit discounts!
    Ruby on Rails included with every hosting account! - Save up to 80% bandwidth on all plans with mod_deflate!
    Visit our services page to see how Voxxit can help you today!

We've been debating for several weeks now between Cpanel and H-Sphere. Unless I'm mistaken, for 50 hosted clients, Cpanel will run me ~$400 a year and H-Sphere will run me $200 the first year and $40 each additional year.

Anyone want to enlighten me on the true Cpanel costs since I am likely incorrect?

cPanel bought outright is a flat fee of around $1500. You can get it monthly from a datacenter for around $25.

H-Sphere is $4/user/domain/etc, with 25% of that yearly [IIRC].

However, H-Sphere also handles billing..

Originally posted by DanX
    cPanel bought outright is a flat fee of around $1500. You can get it monthly from a datacenter for around $25.

H-Sphere is $4/user/domain/etc, with 25% of that yearly [IIRC].

However, H-Sphere also handles billing..
    $1500 seems like an rather steep expense up front. We own and collocate all of our own equipment. Up until now, we have not used any automation software.

Just due to the cost differences, I'm leaning towards H-Sphere

Lol, you of course can just use old ftp lol.

CellShade.

Im currently trying to decide between cPanel/WHM and DirectAdmin.

My main worry is that not offering cPanel/WHM will make me lose customers and business, as this seems to be the most widely used control panel.

Eean, just offer one of them, probably cpanel, and offer direct admin for a little extra price.
    The fact is normal customers gonna want cpanel, and more advance people with more budget will want direct admin, so you rathe go with cpanel and offer extra direct admin for more money.
    Also depends on price range of hosting service, people that spend between 1 to 15 usd are most likely to use cpanel, direct admin is for more demanding sites hence more demanding sites people are gonna be willing to pay more if they have a demanding site and need something good or essential for there website.Hope that helps.

CellShade

cPanel b/c it very easy to use of all customer
    WHMCS Services - sales (at) whmcsservices.com
    WHMCS Development | WHMCS Addons / Modules

I may just start off offering cPanel, and then offer Direct Admin at a later date

Sounds smart. Tell me if you need anything to help you out.

CellShade.