Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

300 GB Bandwidth per month for $7

Hi,

I found http://powweb.com offering 5 GB web space and 300 GB Bandwidth for $7 per month.

Can they realy allow that much bandwidth for $7 per month or some hidden terms or limits ?

Almost all of my dedicated servers use less than 100 GB bandwidth per month and i pay around $100 per month for these servers.

If they can provide this much bandwidth, i could save some money by moving few high traffic sites to them... but don't know they really host a site that use 300 GB per month. I feel like getting 100 GB per month will be great for that price.

I don't want to take risk by moving the site to them and they suspend it for over usage or other reasons.

Regards,

Yujin
      0 Not allowed!

Easy,

It's called overselling, also if you read the TOS you are limited on gb/day which is how they make it easier to control you.
      0 Not allowed!

As well only allowed so many hits to the website each day I believe (I was reading their forums).

So to answer the question I would not move your sites to powweb for any major websites.
      0 Not allowed!

Don't go with powweb, lot's of trouble with them, don't go with ace-host.net either, look arround the forumn, you will find a few good 10 dollar or less hostings with 100gb or more of band.

CellShade
      0 Not allowed!

flashwebhost,

Not everyone rents from ev1, theplanet, etc.
    Not every server is limited to 100GB a month, I'm not standing up for this specific provider.

I have heard that they have a 'hit limit' in place though - which would definitely stop the majority of people from using even a decent % of their bandwidth.
      0 Not allowed!

Even if you own your own datacentre, I'm sure you can't be financially viable having thousands of cliets using 300 gigs of bandwidth and only paying 7.00/month
      0 Not allowed!

Over sell.
    u really go save with a 100gb transfer host.
    By the way HP-David, neither your or kevin have responded to my last question and complain.

CellShade
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

Usually if it seems as though its going to save you that much, something fishy is going on, and in terms of Powweb as others have outlined its called Overselling, and possibly at a huge level too.

Personally, I would stick with the options you currently have as overselling based hosts can cause more headache than solutions, this marketing method seems to work for those who don’t research into their host’s, and it is a big mistake.
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001
      0 Not allowed!

That is clearly over-selling and nothing else. I wouldn't sign up with that if my website depended upon it. If that was true major companies with high traffic websites would throw out their servers and go on over to that host. Give me a break.
    GenerousWebHosting.com Home of Generous George the Red Monster.
    24/7 Live Chat Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Money Back Policy
      0 Not allowed!

One purchaser of a dedicated server, not to be named, sells around 8 or 9000 GB of transfer monthly. They are on a 1000gb plan, and use about 5 or 6 GB. So I can see how despite overselling, it barely uses a fraction.
      0 Not allowed!

That's the whole point of overselling. Hoping that your customers don't use what they're paying for.
      0 Not allowed!

Tip, don't buy host that offer you more then 200gb and has lots of feautures for less then 10 or 15 usd.
    Canaca is excepted in this except well, the feautures ain't that great or are very limited.
    If you don't mind this lack of feautures go to www.canaca.com.
    Other then that just go with hostingplex.com, 110gb transfer, or ******, 10 usd 100gb transfer. Or check other members here might give you some goods and bads about a few hosts.

CellShade
      0 Not allowed!

I don't agree with the recommendation not to use PowWeb. They "control you" by limiting you to 10 GB a day of data transfer - that's a lot of bandwidth. Like most web hosts they have mixed reviews here. I wouldn't call them Premium Grade but they get the job done. If you really are going to push the 10GB/day limit then you might want to consider something else but they are true to their TOS which is quite generous given the price.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by cellshade
    Tip, don't buy host that offer you more then 200gb and has lots of feautures for less then 10 or 15 usd.
    Canaca is excepted in this except well, the feautures ain't that great or are very limited.
    If you don't mind this lack of feautures go to www.canaca.com.
    Other then that just go with hostingplex.com, 110gb transfer, or ******, 10 usd 100gb transfer. Or check other members here might give you some goods and bads about a few hosts.

CellShade
    Expect to pay at least 50 cents per gb bandwidth for honest and reliable hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

I wouldn't call them Premium Grade but they get the job done.
    DevilDog, do you have first hand experience with Powweb?
      0 Not allowed!

Possibly overselling?

Even in NL which provides good priced bandwidth it will cost a miminum of .40€ per GB for traffic, and this is on a 100MB/line plan.

Remember that rarely will someone utilize this generous allocation of bandwidth, unfortunately this is done as a marketing ploy to attract attention by "Bigger is better".
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    DevilDog, do you have first hand experience with Powweb?
    I do not. I am basing my opinion on mixed reviews here. Some complain about their service and support. Others say they're decent. I've also visited their forums. Their customers are generally not unhappy.

My concept of "getting the job done" is probably different than yours. The statements on this thread are generally vaguely akin to "...that company oversells don't go with them...." I don't want to get into a long, non-productive discussion on the issue. I've spelled out my perspectives on price, advertising, expectations, etc in other threads. I also define "premium" web hosting as something akin to what many of the crowd here expect of their web host. Some would never go with anything else and despise anything else. While I haven't hosted with powweb, I have hosted with others that are host non grata and was satisfied, as far as it goes, for my web hosting needs. I think PowWeb fills a niche for some applications (especially video or audio streaming on a budget) and they "get the job done" as far as it goes without removing them from total consideration.

My opinion, while not as informed as it might be if I had a hosting account with them (though it would be impossible to duplicate all user experiences) is informed enough to form an opinion and at least as informed as many who sing the standard "overselling is evil" tune.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek
      0 Not allowed!

Cheap hosting companies also use t1 and OC3 lines.
      0 Not allowed!

an OC3 isn't exactly small. Promonet.com is a place around my city, and they have something like 2 or 3 years uptime, on 2 T1's.

There's also voxel which has servers on an OC3 (link: http://www.voxel.net/about/)

Line size isn't a measure, uptime and service is.
      0 Not allowed!

Concerned about other limits

Let me wipe the drool off your chin.

To hit 300gb do you think that maybe you might hit other limits before getting there?

Don't forget that host can limit you by:
    Connections
    Process
    Memory
    Remove files older than X months

These guys are not new to overselling or newbies that don't have a handle on what things cost.

How long do you think someone there would keep their job if they had to tell the owner that all 300gb accounts sold he lost around 100.00 bucks?
    Link On Us .com
    H-Sphere Windows & Linux Hosting - Since 1998
    ----------------------------------------------
    One Wilshire Corridor, Los Angeles, Calif
      0 Not allowed!

LinkOnUs hits the nail on the head, there are WAY more ways to limit you than just gigs transferred, # of hits, CPU usage, I/O usage, etc etc etc.

Just search here on this forum powweb and decide for yourself.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by jmweb
    Expect to pay at least 50 cents per gb bandwidth for honest and reliable hosting.
    Hmm ain't that a bit too much? maybe 25 cents but 50 is too much for a even good reliable host.

CellShade
      0 Not allowed!

Hmm ain't that a bit too much? maybe 25 cents but 50 is too much for a even good reliable host.
    That kind of debate is never over. For some people $1/gb is quite a reasonable rate, for others $0.1/GB is already too much.

One should try to estimate the real costs that the host is having and then ask himself about the right and/or minimum price to pay.
      0 Not allowed!

Believe me i am an ace in mathematics lol.
    The owner of the webhosting company spends as much for 1gb of bandwidth as what company he is using to resell or what company he is using for internet.
    The avererage is about .10 cents.

CellShade
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by cellshade
    Believe me i am an ace in mathematics lol.
    The owner of the webhosting company spends as much for 1gb of bandwidth as what company he is using to resell or what company he is using for internet.
    The avererage is about .10 cents.

CellShade
    Yeah yeah every dedicated server comes with 1000 gigs transfer, wanna know a secret? There ain't no way in hell a dedicated server full of shared hosting accounts will use 1000 gigs of data transfer, I don't care if it's a quad xeon it ain't happening, not with a couple hundred shared hosting sites on it. No way no how.

File transfers? maybe, but not php/mysql/email/etc etc etc all pulling at the cpu(s)...

Fact of the matter is, a SINGLE web site pulling 300 gigs will probably cripple a server -by-itself- ALL alone. And if it's running a forum it'll probably need MORE THAN one server.

It's just your basic overselling, offer the world for pennies but then hide so many loopholes and gotchas in your TOS there's no way in hell someone will ever use a fraction of what you sell them without hitting some "other" limit, cpu, hits, etc etc.

Wonder how many gigs per month WHT uses? I bet it's probably under 300 gigs per month...
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast