Google AdWords good for the little guys?

I was thinking about signing up for Google AdWords. I did some searching on WHT and found everything I need to know, but I'm still not sure if it's going to be our best bet.

We aren't very large, and we can't spend too much of our revenue experimenting with different types of marketing strategies. I am aware of AdWords' potential when it comes to larger businesses with the ability to lay down greater amounts of money for their services, but I was hoping to get some more input specifically involving smaller hosting companies.

So my question to the WHT and Google gurus is this: Will a small business a month away from it's first active year benefit from using google AdWords? And will this be a greater benefit then using other strategies, such as purchasing a sticky right here on the WHT?

Thanks in advance for the help.

DLee
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting cPanel+Softaculous Email Hosting Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

In our first 4 months with Google AdWords, we spent thousands of dollars on various keywords with very poor results. It took us several more months to figure out what keywords truly worked and what didn't. You also need to constantly tweak your keywords and possibly adjust your adwords budget depending on your current placements of your ads.

Basically put, I think there's great potential in Google AdWords, but you will have to be very patient and willing to lose money in order to find your desired results.
    IceStorm.com - Top Provider of Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, and Cloud VPS Plans.
    Why IceStorm? Two Words: Proven Reliability.

Personally I think these programs are good when you are first starting out because you can immediately pay for the exposure. ( I spent quite a bit on these too when i was first moving out )

But while you are going on spending money on these, you have to build on the SEO ( marketing and brand sense ) and also advertise on various strategic areas ( selling ).

Soon you will have a stable base of users that can support your business at a rate that is healthy for expansion and further market share taking

My 2 Cents
    -=- GQ Hong -=-
    GalacNet WebMaster

It depends on what you're selling. You can pay upwards of $20/click for certain keywords regarding web hosting. We, however, have had GREAT success with selling gaming voice over ip (TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, etc) because it's not as flooded. We still, however, pay upwards of $4.50/click.

It's expensive, but if you can afford to spend it, and know _exactly_ what you want to target, it can be rewarding. Your mileage may vary, and you could spend thousands figuring out _exactly_ what you need to target for keywords.
    ZFS Storage Blog - http://www.zfsbuild.com/

It is actually not very expensive if you choose the right keywords. I find the clicks and quality of clicks are comparable with PPC hosting directories and most other advertising methods.

The hard part is finding keywords that can generate enough traffic at the right price. For each company finding those keywords is different challenge.

Although there seem to be mixed feelings about this, I recieved a lot of valuable information. Thanks a heap guys. I think I'm going to hold off using adwords for a bit and try my luck in some different areas, at least now I know what to look forward to when I do decide to advertise with google.

Thanks Again!

DLee
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting cPanel+Softaculous Email Hosting Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

I think AdWords was specifically created for the little guys like us. We use it actively and successfully for about one year. You can easily stop your adv budget spending when you check online stats provided by Goolge and see that the results are poor. You can tailor your adv campaign in many ways. I would strongly recommend to give a try at least.

Last month, AdWords sent my web hosting campaign 200 clicks at an average of $0.06 per click. The site being advertised is a hosting directory, which is why volume is not important to me, but it shows that there is dirt cheap web hosting traffic to be had if you look hard enough. And I can tie regular affiliate sales directly to the AdWords campaign.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts

findwhat.com offers a service much like Google's and the CPC is very very low since they focus on smaller search engines.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

google adwords is a great tool but not for small companies, as mentioned before you could spend thousands of pounds/dollars with very little gain. you need large capital as well as a very precise keyword list.

findwhat.com gave us very very poor results. Out of all the money I have invested in this business, I have never seen an advertising channel that provides more 1 page and out visitors. It is really bad traffic they send your way.

Edit: Nevermind... post wasn't very relevent...

Originally posted by stokes_83
    findwhat.com gave us very very poor results. Out of all the money I have invested in this business, I have never seen an advertising channel that provides more 1 page and out visitors. It is really bad traffic they send your way.
    Findwhat and Lycos Adbuyer (same thing) - just wasted $400 in "Good Keywords" - plenty of clicks (delivered whole amount in just 2 days), but 0 customers. Got several customers for SAME keywords and same amount of money on Google Adwords

Only Overture/Google can be trusted at this days - tested several times already (last year same results).

Be aware of Findwhat (Lycos AdBuyer), Kanoodle and other small PPC.

Steve

Just do it. Spend $50 and see if it works for you.
    This the beauty of adwords. You can start today without risking a small fortune.

I think AdWords is definitely a must especially if you are a new startup. However, just make sure to manage your budget and CPC for keywords or else you can easily spend alot of money with little or no returns.

I would also recommend installing a stats program so you can monitor your sites activity, who is sending you what traffic. Also I think you should also give Overture a shot.

Well my original experience with adwords was pretty bad, hardly any impressions as I was way too far down the pecking order.

However, one plus point on adwords is that you can get a higher ranking if you have a high CTR. So if you refine your keywords to be very specific, and have a good optimized ad you can start to get high positions in those keywords without such a high CPC. Not easy though.

I think adwords can be extremely helpful to smaller companies to drive traffic to your site...we've been effectively using Google for years. However, the real issue you should be concerned with is how to sell your customers once they enter your site.

Your site will not be the only site that your potential google buyers visit. Ask yourself, "Am I competitive (prices, package specs, etc.) to the Big Boys, who are spending $50k/mo on Adwords?" or "Why would someone who visits my site from google buy from my site over anyone else that shows up on that search?"

You can spend $10k getting 10k clicks, but if the first page your google visitors see doesn't answer both of those questions (and do so easily), your clicks are literally worthless.

The competition is heavy in this industry :: getting visitors is only a small portion of making web sales.

Good luck and best regards,
    David Wieland - tantusnetworks.com
    TheBannerExchange.net
    WebmasterDebate.com