Gates doubles disease fight cash

love him or hate him, you cant knock what he does for the poor/diseased/underpriveliged

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4551131.stm

US computer billionaire Bill Gates has doubled the funding he gives to a body set up to fight disease in the developing world.

He told the annual assembly of the World Health Organization more needed to be done to fight health inequality.

The Microsoft founder pledged an extra $250m to Grand Challenges in Global Health, which he set up in 2003.

No doubt there will be lots of Gates and MS haters who will claim he only does it for the tax break.

Very generous and noble of Mr. Gates.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Originally posted by blue27
    No doubt there will be lots of Gates and MS haters who will claim he only does it for the tax break.
    Just to prove you right, almost.

Once a thief, lier and cheater always ... As far as I am concerned he can give everything he has and he is still a criminal. It is not possible to pay your way out of that. One thing that might do a trick would be simple apology to everyone affected with illegal practices of his company.

Originally posted by sasha

Once a thief, lier and cheater always ... As far as I am concerned he can give everything he has and he is still a criminal. It is not possible to pay your way out of that. One thing that might do a trick would be simple apology to everyone affected with illegal practices of his company.
    Are you running windows on your computer?
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

Originally posted by xenotick
    Are you running windows on your computer?
    No

I'm sure that the tens of thousands of people he has helped and the countless numbers of people who are alive today because of the Bill Gates foundation care very little about his business practices.

Originally posted by blue27
    I'm sure that the tens of thousands of people he has helped and the countless numbers of people who are alive today because of the Bill Gates foundation care very little about his business practices.
    I have no doubt about that at all. Still, it is long way from thief to saint.

Why is he a criminal? "Thief , liar and cheater" these words are far too harsh IMHO. I find him a great man, and I don't think anyone even come close to the amount he donated.

Originally posted by boonchuan
    Why is he a criminal? "Thief , liar and cheater" these words are far too harsh IMHO. I find him a great man, and I don't think anyone even come close to the amount he donated.
    Courts found that the company he was/is heading was involved in "Illegal Business Practices". Any money he gives out today was to some some point the result of those "Illegal Business Practices". No, I do not think "Thief , liar and cheater" is harsh at all.

Hmm... Mr. Gates criminal?? I dont know about that
    www.DefyStudios.com ___Interactive Design

Well im too young to knoe exactly what he did, so what did his business do?
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Did I miss something that Gates did that was illegal?

Anyways I think it is great that Gates is giving so much money to help people who are in need (and research).

Originally posted by 7thsign
    Hmm... Mr. Gates criminal?? I dont know about that
    You don't become as rich as he is without on the way exploiting people, it's impossible, unless you inherit it.. in which some point down the line the same would've happened.

Bill Gates basically offered all of the Apple developers higher wages at his business and stole the apple ideas basically...

It wasn't illegal, but like I said - exploiting apple.
    Ampinet.co.uk - UK Webhosting - Coming Soon!
    99.99% Uptime Guarentee | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 24/7 Support

Originally posted by xenotick
    You don't become as rich as he is without on the way exploiting people, it's impossible, unless you inherit it.. in which some point down the line the same would've happened.

Bill Gates basically offered all of the Apple developers higher wages at his business and stole the apple ideas basically...

It wasn't illegal, but like I said - exploiting apple.
    Exactly, it wasn't illegal. Bill Gates is the owner of Microsoft, which operates as a monopoly in several markets. This is the same case with ALL monopolistic firms - it's monopolistic nature that they exploit consumers in order to make those abnormal profits. We can hardly call Bill Gates a thief, etc. for operating his firm as one would normally, given its market position.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

He's a good man. Business and Personal life do not even fit in the same category. He does not have to donate money, but he cares enough to do so.

Him and Oprah...they both give SO much.

what a waste of money. Why throw your money into a black hole? Why does he not try to do something good for his own country? Especially with all the jobs in the us getting outsourced in india and china.

I hate bill gates

Yes. Saving lives. Helping those who can't help themselves. What a waste of money.
    Let them all die. Who cares eh webbusiness?
    Why should they live when you hate Bill Gates. What right does Bill Gates have to choose what lives he will improve.

Time to grow up little man.

Originally posted by webbusiness
    what a waste of money. Why throw your money into a black hole? Why does he not try to do something good for his own country? Especially with all the jobs in the us getting outsourced in india and china.

I hate bill gates
    elfish:

Oh, wait, I guess we don't have a smiley for that.

How can you call people dying of starvation a black hole? Did they ask to be in that situation? Do you think they are better off than the US?
    It's about time you started thinking about others my friend.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

I hate bill gates
    Jeez - what an idiot you must be.

Calling dying, starving people a 'black hole'.

jobs in the us getting outsourced in india and china.
    That may be bad but not as bad as he dying, starving people in other countries.

Bill Gates frequently donates large sums of money to very charitable causes, and this, regardless of what anyone thinks of his business practices, is a good thing.

I hate bill gates
    You know what was a waste? The time it took me to read your stupid self centered disgusting comment.

The award for the most stupid post of the month goes too..........
    (drum roll please)

I hate bill gates

Originally posted by JHosts
    Look, like it or not, without Gates, we probably wouldn't have this web site today. Without Gates, there would not be huge internet booms. He made the computer a commodity whether you choose to accept that or not.
    As much as I respect Bill Gates (I'm one of his "fans" and not a hater), that statement is not true. If Gates didn't exist, someone else would and take his place, it would have just taken longer.

Originally posted by JHosts
    Look, like it or not, without Gates, we probably wouldn't have this web site today. Without Gates, there would not be huge internet booms. He made the computer a commodity whether you choose to accept that or not.
    IMO, if it wasn't Gates and MS, it would have been someone else. Most industries becomes commoditised eventually, and generally it is not the skill and vision of an individual that drives this, but demand from various sectors of society.

The little man is the 'man' who feels he needs to make personal insults against someone who voices his opinion. I'd love to see a study if the billions he has thrown away into his overseas charities have actually improved the quality of life over the long run or made things worse in the long run.

I'm willing to bet on the later as most charity seems to create the need for more charity with no end in sight.

Yes 'Black Hole' in the long run means more harm was done in the long run. Short term fix, long term exaccerbation.

Charity should seek to reduce the need for more greater charity.

hey, maybe you can give me some nice cliches like only today matters or your heart is a black hole.

Down with Microsoft, Up with Linux.
    Last edited by webbusiness; 05-19-2005 at 06:31 AM.

im fairly sure i would of done the same, in his position

Every man who runs his own business, has a strategy. Gates, is donating more money. Can't we all agree that this is generous of him?
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

just to state, my previous comment was the way he ran his business, he's done a greta thing for charity stop complaining, and even if it did help him with taxes, who cares?

all people who hate bill gates/microsoft are simlply jelous people who cant stand other people doing well for themseleves, i say fair play to him getting to where he is today and its nice of him to donate.
    http://www.goodridgeelec.com
    Electrical Contractors, West Midlands, UK

I guess ultimately its his damn money and he can do whatever the heck he wants to it.

whilst generally a linux advocate, and a solaris + linux admin by trade, i dont see how you can use 'down with windows, up with linux' as a reason for disliking bill gates, or rubbishing what he does/has done for the poorer or diseased people in the world.

some of the things he's given money towards (from http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Grants/default.htm) recently:

Sexual Assault Response Center
    $55,450 over 3 years to support sexual assault prevention and education programs

Program for Appropriate Technology in Health (PATH)
    $402,619 over 3 years to fund a study regarding the prevention of cervical cancer in developing countries

Consejo Counseling & Referral Service
    $150,000 over 3 years to support domestic violence services in Eastern Washington

They pay for the development and distribution of lifesaving vaccines, and schooling for underprivileged kids. funding is for projects both at home and abroad

which part of that is a blackhole, or a long term exaccerbation?

you're right, its his damn money and he can do whatever the heck he wants with it. he chooses to give to charities and the like. i bet he gives a greater % of his income to charity than you do.. you dont see someone like Larry Ellison giving as much away do you?

I think the government should just stop enforcing copyright laws on Windows/Microsoft Office, and let nature take its course.

let nature take its course? pls explain

Originally posted by Slidey
    let nature take its course? pls explain
    If the government stops enforcing copyright laws on Windows/Microsoft Office, then people will then be able to redistribute Windows/Microsoft Office legally without paying Microsoft anything.

Microsoft could end up going out of business, but then e.g. Linux and StarOffice can replace it.

I think it's great of Bill to donate money like that! There are many causes and it's great that he is putting his share of the money in to things.
    -- Matthew

Originally posted by pmak0
    If the government stops enforcing copyright laws on Windows/Microsoft Office, then people will then be able to redistribute Windows/Microsoft Office legally without paying Microsoft anything.

Microsoft could end up going out of business, but then e.g. Linux and StarOffice can replace it.
    and why would they think of doing or even consider that?

too many bitter shandies for you i think..

I'd love to see a study if the billions he has thrown away into his overseas charities have actually improved the quality of life over the long run or made things worse in the long run.
    The vaccination programs that he's supported have helped save lives on countless lives overseas... I don't see how you think that supporting medical research and vaccination programs is creating a need for more charity. If you've ever studied economics on a global scale, you'd see that programs like these improve the quality of life, and positively benefits the world economy. His donations also mean that the world bank and IMF don't have to throw as much money of their own into certain programs, and can use that money to sponsor more development projects.