Getting Started with HSPHERE - After the Install (for newbies)

Hi there.

I hope this is the right place for this post. I have been on the net for years now but I am new to offering web hosting, just learning the ropes and setting up a simple low-cost and low-overhead project right now.

I just recently had PSoft setup a simple single server install of HSphere on a fully managed colo box. My web host takes care of most technical issues, but setting up and customizing HSphere will be my job.

I have ran through the "Getting Started" section of the Admin Guide. No resellers yet (not even sure how that works). I set up the notification e-mail addresses. Set up PayPal as our merchant gateway and Directi as our domain registrar. Set up corporate info and hosting plans.

My question is, what is next? Should I look at security issues and "hardening"? Should I test all the features, make sure everything works, and what should I be testing?

Also, how do I interface HSphere with my site? For example, how do I interface the HSphere login to my existing website? Also how do I interface the domain registration to my existing site? And the ticket system?

Thanks for any help you can offer to this newb...

Regards,

Reza

Are you going to try FreeVPS? We had tried it last year and it was great for the cost (0).

WOW.

I didn't even know this product existed, and I was thinking about offering VPS accounts, just didn't get around to researching them yet!

Can this software sit on my single HSphere box or will I need another box?

This will definitely be something we offer in the future!

Edit: Is this something PSoft can install along with HSphere and is it easy to manage the accounts?

Also... What other features should I consider offering on the main website?

We know we need Hsphere login and domain search and registration... Anything else we should tell our designer, for the new site?

I had this for a bit and got rid of it quickly it did not suite my needs at all. you should probably look in the control pannel forum for answers to your questions

Hsphere

Hello, I would suggest that you follow up on your plan to have your servers secured. After that check out the forum at Psoft and you will get a lot of answers to your questions. Be sure to register as a user and you will get access to the customers only area.

To answer you questions about interfacing your site with Hsphere, I would check out www.hspheretemplates.com they do all kinds of Hsphere customizations and they have a lot of cool add-ons for it also. The docs for hsphere can also give you some more insight into what you want to do if you take the time to actually figure out what they are telling you.(psoft docs could use some help) Hope this helps.

Greetings Reza:

You are asking good questions to start.

Most people don't think about server hardening until after they have been hacked. Or they try to do it themselves, having no security background, following how-to's and either miss things or don't realize how-to's may not be all inclusive.

Per http://www.dshield.org/ the average survival time of an unpatched, insecure system is 36 minutes (as of 9:09 EST today). This time has varied from 13 minutes to 36 over the past several months.

Anyway, I could ramble on security all day long; so yes, your server should be hardened by an in-house or external security team.

Yes, you should test H-Sphere by signing up at least one account per hosting plan you set up; and go through the various features.

The documentation you've been reading (good job, another positive step as many do not read the documentation) will cover a lot of your questions as you move forward.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Thanks (Jake?), I look forward to doing business with dynamicnet, you're just what we need!

Reza

Also, don't forget to join the H-Sphere forums at http://forums.psoft.net There you can join many of us H-Sphere hosts to chat about H-Sphere related things, including a wealth of How-To's and tutorials written by some of us on how to do certain things.