Flooded with spam. Help

Few days ago I submitted two websites of mine in a submission service to a bunch of small search engines using my Gmail account instead of my webmail (good thing).

Since then, I am flooded with spam emails, about 50 - 80 a day. Unless I am missing something, Gmail doesn't offer spam protection. All it does is that it'll just sent those into spam email folder, and you still have to delete them.

Not only recieving spam emails, I also recived viruses, too. Thanks to Google scanning ability, I wasn't infected by anyone of them. There are people also use my account to send viruses to other accounts also.

Is there any program/software that would help me stop, or atleast minimize these?

Thanks

If your getting spam from submitting, you've submitted to link farms. which can kill all of that effort as SEs punish links on 'em.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Please don't use these "submission services". Most are FFA links where your site will die off the without anyone seeing them even, but your email address will stay in their database and they continue to send spam. I remember a few years ago I "won" a top site of the month and the "prize" was submission to a gazillion search engines. I woke the next day to see my hotmail account over quota and a mass of emails from ffa sites. "your site was successfully submitted to www.whateverffa.link and you can view it by going to whatever", at first I thought wow! I went to whatever and couldn't see the particular site listed, but there was a heap of pron sites and other not so nice sites listed.

I checked the next mail and it happened to be from the same site "I'm sorry but your link was shown 10 times, you have now fallen off the list, please resubmit", this went on and on, and realised it was a waste of bandwidth checking anymore, so did a mass delete. Then daily the spam continued. I tried contacting the site where I "won" the prize and they had a dead email. I think it took about 12 months to finally clean all the continual spam from my email with about 2 hours a day sending spamcop reports.

Thanks for the advice.

The place I use, they claim to submit into about 30 or so small search engines. Of those number, only about 10 were "sucessfully sumitted". Some did send me emails to ask for confirmation. After that, all hell broke loose. I was force to remove my email contacts from my websites, it helps a little.

By the way, how do you report to the Spamcop? And thanks the Mod for moving my topic to the correct place.

Hi,

I use SpamBully3 to manage my spam issues; since I started using it I have noticed a significant reduction in spam mail. It has the option to send a fake bounce e-mail back to the spammer along with punishing the spammer too, works great.

Too be honest with you I didn’t expect it to work so well, I would highly recommend it, the problem however is the fact that it does not support web-based e-mail programs such as hotmail, GMail etc.

So may not be the best solution for you. But I have witnessed FFA and Link Farms and they are terrible, I managed to receive over 600+ e-mails in 15 minutes; I do not wish to ever go through that again.
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001

I use GMAIL and I have not seen a single spam email since I signed up. I believe I registered with GMAIL about five months ago or something. I regularly sign up for different websites, and I haven't seen any spam. I do see spam in my Hotmail account, though.

Thanks for the tips NS-Icon

Np I hate SPAM myself, still keep getting bombarded with it maybe eventually it will die off, lol you can always wish.
    Tahir Ahmed
    NetspaceOnline.net - Reliable Personal Web Site Hosting & Business Web Hosting Solutions!
    NSDomains.net - Our Dedicated Domain Registration & Management Portal!
    • Reseller Hosting Solutions • Linux Plesk 8 Control Panel • Provding Quality Hosting Since 2001