Extending Daylight Savings Time?

Is there anything our Congress thinks it can't do?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/....ap/index.html

So now they can magically make the sun stay up longer for an extra two months per year by passing legislation extending daylight savings time?

People are going to use what they use based on the amount of sunlight they actually have, not by the fact that it's only 5pm instead of 6pm!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

page not found....

I think 1 hour is enough. It would throw me off if it was extended.
    Kerry Jones

I HATE daylight savings time. It is extremely irritating to have to change my damn clock twice a year. It really urks me. They need to just leave it alone. I don't like setting my clock back because then it gets dark way too fast. I don't like it.

Isn't arizona the only US state that doesn't have daylight savings and they never have to change their clocks?

*braces for an invasion of Canada if we don't change our daylight savings time as well*
    Cody Watson
    Business Student @ SFU [Marketing, Entrepreneurship, Management & Technology, Co-op Certificate, Honours]

Re: Extending Daylight Savings Time?

Originally posted by The Dude
    Is there anything our Congress thinks it can't do?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/....ap/index.html

So now they can magically make the sun stay up longer for an extra two months per year by passing legislation extending daylight savings time?

People are going to use what they use based on the amount of sunlight they actually have, not by the fact that it's only 5pm instead of 6pm!
    These guys (The Congress) need a hobby.

Daylight savings time is VERY important to our economy and our wallets. It may be a minor inconvenience, but without it, time would feel very weird and much productivity will be lost.

Props to Cecil of the straightdope for this explanation:
    People have the idea that the purpose of daylight saving time is to give them more time to frolic on summer evenings. Hah. The real purpose is to conserve energy. You want to line up the hours of daylight with the hours most people are up and about. That way they'll use the lights less and we'll waste less oil, coal, etc.

On December 21 sunrise is around 7:20 AM and sunset around 4:40 PM--business hours. Fine. Problem is, as the day lengthens you get more daylight in both AM and PM but you need it mostly PM. Rather than try and noodge the clock ahead every day, you bide your time till April. Then bam, you switch to DST, thereby shifting an hour of wasted daylight from morning till evening. When the days start to get shorter again, you shift the hour back. It's a hassle but it's more effective than this half-hour-split-the-difference nonsense.
    http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_052.html
    Last edited by Xshare; 05-15-2005 at 09:45 PM.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    [email protected]
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

yeah; page not found..
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

Xshare nailed it. DST is needed for economy, energy, and productivity. I do not see any harm if they extend a bit. It does not mean moving clocks more per year or more than one-hour change. The congress will just make the lasting affects of DST longer.

Re: Re: Extending Daylight Savings Time?

Originally posted by Take-IT-EZZI
    These guys (The Congress) need a hobby.
    That IS their hobby!

Thats wierd.......It was loading be4......

Very strange........

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by Frosty
    Isn't arizona the only US state that doesn't have daylight savings and they never have to change their clocks?
    Part of Indiana doesn't use daylight savings. Maine is thinking about changing its entire time zone from eastern to atlantic which would give them an extra hour all the time. Probably wont pass though.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

I personally don't like it being "STILL LIGHT OUT" at 9:30P.M!!!! If I liked this.. i'd be living in ANTARTICA...
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / We Filter out the Bad Leads and Send you the Good ones!
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / Automated Lead Funnel Service

I'm worried that computers are programmed to change DST on and off on specific days each year. If Congress changes this law imagine how much productivity will be lost from people changing their computers manually twice a year to the proper time.

That being said, I'd rather they abolish it altogether. Sunset at 4:15pm in the dead of winter really sucks.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I hate daylight savings time