Bandwidth throttling on Server 2003 (Standard) slowing my server! help!

yall,

Ive a Windows Server 2003 (Standard), have been seeding personal files with it using a Bit torrent Client, but the OS seems to throttle the Bandwidth, it seems to allocate roughly 60kBs per peer,whereas my old linux box would max 1 peers line out, whereas windows server 2003 seems to throttle the the Bandwidth...

I tried diffrent clients, but get the same thing so am convinced its the OS, maybe a setting sumwhere?

My servers 20mBs.

As i dont wanna go back to linux as its too hard for me linux noob to manage...lol

Any assistance is Great!

Thanks..stu

Re: Bandwidth throttling on Server 2003 (Standard) slowing my server! help!

Sounds more like the bittorrent client your using is doing this rather than the OS.

One thing you might want to try, is removing QoS drivers from the network interface.

Other than that, items such as how large are the seed files, types of hard drives, amount of memory, and other processes running on the server would be helpful to know.

If you have a 2 GB seed file, a 7200 RPM IDE hard drive... you'll be just fine when 1 or 2 peers connect. Try to take 200 peers, it's pulling sections of the file from the hard drive, and that's going to be around 300~500 i/o's per second.

I wouldn't want to push IDE over 200 tps. SCSI will get you to 2,000 tps on 15k rpm drives. Any more than that, and your looking at a SAN.

Hi,

Thanks for the Quick reply..

Specs -

Sempron 2400+
    Hard Disk:
    80gb
    Memory:
    512mb

Ive tried 4 diffrnet clients and get the same thing, same with friends of mine with the same OS, im sure its the OS sumwhere..were all baffled...lol

Ive tried with many diffrent files sizes from 100Mb to 8Gb and the speeds remain the same, roughly 60kBs per peer..

Thanks..

Stu

Did you check to see if QoS is installed? (You don't want it installed)

Hi,

I disabled QOS, rebooted still same throttled speeds, averaging 60kBs. im trying a torrent MP3 file direct to my home connection (2mb)240kBs and it gets 60kBs with nothing else running on my home line..

Very Strange..

Stew

Start transfering a large file, then do a constant ping on your server.

Is it unusually high with lots of packet loss? If it is, check the duplex settings on the network card. The switch your plugged into is probably running at full duplex, and your server's NIC running at half duplex, or the other way around.

What service providor are you using?

It is not uncommon for ISP's to throttle bittorrent connections. Try to use a non standard port for your seeder (just pick a random one, preferably over 40.000). Do not use the standard port or ports around that.

This doesn't apply to the tracker though, you shouldn't have to mess with that. Just the port in the seeding client.

Hi,

i am using random ports on all the clients ive tried, and ive tried multiple diffrent ports all with same bad result....

just tried 99999 same result, im with a server company like layered.tech so I wouldnt think they would be throttling it, I have friends with diffrent hosts than me and they get the same problem with server 2003..

Start transfering a large file, then do a constant ping on your server.
    So start seeding a file, then ping the server? see what the ping results show?

Thanks for your help..

Stew

Ok.. (just a thing, only ports up to 65535 exists).

Hi,

Set it to 65511, same..boohoo

stu :{

Windows isn't throttling you, ask your provider.
    EZZI.net - A Service of Access Integrated Technologies Inc
    Running data centers, nationwide data network, and world-wide VoIP network.
    http://www.EZZI.net sales@ezzi.net

Hi,

I have friends who have this problem on diffent hosts than me, 3 that i know of, on all 3 that use Win server 2003 they all get throttled, now I have friends with those hosts on Linux and they dont have a problem...

I seriously think its something in the OS...BUT cant for the hell of me solve it! lol

Thanks..

Stew

what sort of speed do you get if you seed the file then run a torrent client on the same server and downwnload it - its a weird way to do it but might find out if it is the provider since it shouldnt go outbound to get the file

Hi,

I tried as NWS instructions, started to download and MP3 file seeding from one client downloading in another, speeds where Great, after 30 seconds was over 500kBs and rising then i stopped it..

So where can I go from here? What does this tell me?

Thanks Everyone!!

Stew

that tells you that its not windows throttling the download, as if it was you would still of only recieved about 60kb/s even tho its going from the disk to memory and back to disk

hello all
    i also am having this problem as stew is and thats 4 i know of now thats having the same problem...... there must be a fix out there to sort it out!! well i hope there is ive been looking for days now to try and sort it. it seems to always come back to the OS im sure it is. if i download the same file with the same client from a linux run server its brill i max out my line speed. but with windows server its sooooo slow. i have run this test on 4 servers now 2 with linux and 2 with windows server and every time i max my speed with linux but only get about 60 to 70kpbs with windows

thanks for any help you can give

EZZI.net - A Service of Access Integrated Technologies Inc
    Running data centers, nationwide data network, and world-wide VoIP network.
    http://www.EZZI.net sales@ezzi.net