Thread: IDE cable

IDE cable

Hello everyone,

I see unnormal level of iowait on my server once i run any script
    Its XEON based server and even my P4 based server is processing those script much mor eeasely.

I am wondering if that can be because of ide cable or something else related to my HDD ?

Can anyone please tell me how do i test if my hdd and related stuff are working fine ?
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

A paste of top and ps -aux for starters would help (would be even better if you could get one of both machines running the same script). A HD about to go out or a bad IDE cable could be causing these problems technically, but that's most likely not the problem.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

245 processes: 244 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
    CPU states: cpu user nice system irq softirq iowait idle
    total 1.1% 0.0% 0.4% 0.0% 0.1% 80.5% 17.9%

"A HD about to go out or a bad IDE cable "

Can you please tell me how do i check the both?

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    A paste of top and ps -aux for starters would help (would be even better if you could get one of both machines running the same script). A HD about to go out or a bad IDE cable could be causing these problems technically, but that's most likely not the problem.
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

Well thats only the output from the xeon server, and the rest of the output of top would be nice

Hard drive about to go bad? Just listen for funny noises...there is really no sure way to know. It's like a flat tire most of the time, when it goes out it goes out without warning.

IDE Cable? Buy a new one and replace it, if anything else you'll just have a spare, they're cheap
    Mike from Zoodia.com

Yes except my server is located far away from me

Is there a software to check for both?

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    Well thats only the output from the xeon server, and the rest of the output of top would be nice

Hard drive about to go bad? Just listen for funny noises...there is really no sure way to know. It's like a flat tire most of the time, when it goes out it goes out without warning.

IDE Cable? Buy a new one and replace it, if anything else you'll just have a spare, they're cheap
    Best Regards,
    Namesniper

Well with a dedicated server there really is nothing you can do about the HD/IDE cable, just check to make sure it's not a software issue and make backups.
    Mike from Zoodia.com