Interesting design oversight

I have, quite by accident, run across what seems a widespread design oversight.

It would seem that many people have their browser's default background colour set to white. It would also seem that a good many websites (especially those with a predominantly white background) do not have a default page body colour set.

To see what I am talking about, set your browser to use the default grey (or bright magenta for the adventurous) as a background and then go surfing the web. Watch how many sites show through the now contrasting background of the browser. It isn't limited to personal type sites either.

Moral: always make sure the general background is set appropriately for the page, not just the sub-elements.

"Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    body { background: #fff; } is always set on my pages (if the background is indeed white).

But, yeah, I know what you mean.

Voxxit - Accessible Web Design & Secure, Affordable Web Hosting
    Now offering 501(c)3 non-profit discounts!
    Ruby on Rails included with every hosting account! - Save up to 80% bandwidth on all plans with mod_deflate!
    Visit our services page to see how Voxxit can help you today!

Pflugerville, TX
    Yessir, always specify defaults, unless you're ok with user defaults taking precedence (your settings can be overridden regardless) - that's a fundamental rule right there! Another one to remember is to always specify background colors and text color in pairs. Even if there shouldn't be a background color, specify none. Otherwise, you run into potential conflicts with user-specified style sheets, and that's no good when you're trying to reach the broadest possible audience (plus, it takes SO little effort to follow this rule...).
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I agree and excellent post! I've noted this on so many sites..and many "large", well known ones!

Roanoke, VA
    The W3C CSS validator will throw a warning if you specify a foreground color and no background color. It's handy like that.
    You cooin' with my bird?