Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fdcserver speed

fdcserver speed

Anyone purchase a server from them before?

I need to speedtest a server from someone who purchased a 100mbit unmetered server from them. I don't want to speedtest their URL because for all i know their server could be on a gigabit. Let me know please.

As posted posted in te TOS at http://www.fdcservers.net/tos.html

I believe they will update it to 7Gbit when Abovenet is added in June.

20. Unmetered Bandwidth

FDCservers.net LLC does not charge any overage fees regardless of customer`s bandwidth usage

100Mbit unmetered service plan

Each server is connected via private (non-shared) 100Mbit port to our 6Gbit backbone which is shared by all servers that have subscribed to unmetered service plan. The bandwidth is NOT dedicated.

Servers on 100Mbit unmetered plan can expect average 3000GB-5000GB/monthly throughput on outbound transfer (from the server to the internet) and up to 30TB/monthly throughput on inbound transfer (from the internet to the server)

Re: fdcserver speed

Originally posted by hiphop2006
    Anyone purchase a server from them before?

I need to speedtest a server from someone who purchased a 100mbit unmetered server from them. I don't want to speedtest their URL because for all i know their server could be on a gigabit. Let me know please.
    it might be a good idea to go to FDC`s forums and ask existing customers for a speed test file
    Petr Kral - FDCServers.net LLC
    Los Angeles - Seattle - Denver - Chicago - Miami- New York - Paris - London - Madrid - Amsterdam - Frankfurt - Vienna - DATACENTERS
    10+Tbps of internet connectivity --- 10G, 20G, 40Gbps unmetered services in 17 US & EU locations

Essentially, they are saying that you'll be able sustaint around 9.5 Mb/s to 16 Mb/s and have burstability to 100 Mb/s.. Please correct me if I am incorrect Peter.

it might be a good idea to go to FDC`s forums and ask existing customers for a speed test file
    Good suggestion.
    James Lumby

Well here is a thread on their forums with a test file >>
    http://www.fdcservers.net/vbulletin/...read.php?t=700

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    Well here is a thread on their forums with a test file >>
    http://www.fdcservers.net/vbulletin/...read.php?t=700

Cheers
    I usually get better speeds from FDC compared to that link
    Ben S.

I have to agree speeds at FDC have been poor for the past week or two now. They're getting abovenet (not sure on capacity) and another gig from Cogent in the first week of June. Hopefully that fixes everything.

Re: fdcserver speed

Originally posted by hiphop2006
    I don't want to speedtest their URL because for all i know their server could be on a gigabit. Let me know please.
    I don't think you have a gigabit connection at home..

Re: Re: fdcserver speed

Originally posted by coconutboy
    that was the most idiotic reply ever.

Re: Re: fdcserver speed

Originally posted by coconutboy
    Perhaps the FDC gigabit line has a lot of 'backing' left to it to support higher speeds then their other lines

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by music
    As posted posted in te TOS at http://www.fdcservers.net/tos.html

I believe they will update it to 7Gbit when Abovenet is added in June.

20. Unmetered Bandwidth

FDCservers.net LLC does not charge any overage fees regardless of customer`s bandwidth usage

100Mbit unmetered service plan

Each server is connected via private (non-shared) 100Mbit port to our 6Gbit backbone which is shared by all servers that have subscribed to unmetered service plan. The bandwidth is NOT dedicated.

Servers on 100Mbit unmetered plan can expect average 3000GB-5000GB/monthly throughput on outbound transfer (from the server to the internet) and up to 30TB/monthly throughput on inbound transfer (from the internet to the server)
    Thats kind of lame... 3-5TB/month ?? Thats like 10-20mbps... Basically they're charging you 10-20mbps rates because they're delivering 10-20mbps throughput but advertising it as 100mb...

Originally posted by sungkim
    Thats kind of lame... 3-5TB/month ?? Thats like 10-20mbps... Basically they're charging you 10-20mbps rates because they're delivering 10-20mbps throughput but advertising it as 100mb...
    If it was that lame the customers wouldn`t stick around and left for a better deal.
    First of all we only enforce that BW abuse policy when we are short on bandwidth.
    Second we advertise 100Mbit because it is 100Mbit port and people can burst to 100Mbit. If our average customer was on %95 bw billing or other metered bandwidth plan their bandwidth bill would be 5-10x more than what they pay to us

Yes there are currently some speed problems but that will get rectified very soon as we have new GigEs from Cogent and Abovenet comming in
    Los Angeles - Seattle - Denver - Chicago - Miami- New York - Paris - London - Madrid - Amsterdam - Frankfurt - Vienna - DATACENTERS
    10+Tbps of internet connectivity --- 10G, 20G, 40Gbps unmetered services in 17 US & EU locations

I've had my FDC box for like 7 months now, and it's been awesome for the price. I pay $50/mo, and my friends use to have that box pushing 40Mbit for hte better part of the day, for weeks at a time.

we're not able to push up to 40Mbit right now though, be it support finally saw my BW usage patterns (woops ), or their's just a minor shortage for the time being.

$50 and i get a box, and probably 8TB of traffic? I could never beat a price like that, ever.

Mmmm, Abovenet

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I haven't always been a big fan of FDC, etc. though for what you get for the price you cannot deny it is a good deal. If you don't mind issues, such as this once in awhile or some restrictions on your bandwidth utilization, where else can you push as much bandwidth as FDC allows for those prices? True, it isn't right for everyone, but to me it seems like a very good fit for download sites and the like. I used to dislike the fact they seemed to hide the fact that you wouldn't get the 100 mbit/sec connectivity, etc., but it now seems to be clearly expressed. You know what you are getting when you buy it and for many it is a very good deal.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

here's a question: What do you think is better: OF or FDC?

18. see the TOS u can know

19. Check TOS of any VPS site

Originally posted by BSD2
    here's a question: What do you think is better: OF or FDC?
    Personally, I have never used OF's services, so I cannot comment on their level of service and support. I can say though that I would never deal with them because of their dealings with Chris Gotzman. Not to bring that up again, it has been beat to death already and I am not saying that that is a reason no one should deal with them, it is just a reason for which I will refuse to deal with them.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Year, I was readin ALL about that today as I had nothing better to do, but I mean from a network point of view, both are overselling, but which one has a better stability / is overselling less (the 50kbps from OF was horrible today).

FDC is adding a couple new gige's in the 1st week of June and we've heard that OF is adding another 4+ gig of capacity but no definate time frame just "soon". I have a server with each of them right now, and both networks are really oversold. I haven't seen any real downtime from them though so at least that is good.

[[email protected] root]# wget http://208.53.158.43/testfile.zip
    --16:10:34-- http://208.53.158.43/testfile.zip
    => `testfile.zip'
    Connecting to 208.53.158.43:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 111,621,175 [application/zip]

2% [=> ] 3,273,644 119.61K/s ETA 14:44
    [[email protected] root]#

FDCServers.net Is Down

FDCServers has been down for at least 6 hours today - June 2, 2005. Nobodys DNS is resolving. I work for an ISP and a customer's web host told them it was our problem that they couldnt access their websites when, in fact, its their web host's. The web host they are with however is a reseller or has a dedicated server with FDCServers, I will not inform them of this, but I thought that was interesing. Just thought I would let everyone know.

FDC is up for me its slow at the moment, but they are supposed to be adding a couple new GigE's and changing the routing.

Re: FDCServers.net Is Down

Originally posted by tadevelopers
    FDCServers has been down for at least 6 hours today - June 2, 2005. Nobodys DNS is resolving. I work for an ISP and a customer's web host told them it was our problem that they couldnt access their websites when, in fact, its their web host's. The web host they are with however is a reseller or has a dedicated server with FDCServers, I will not inform them of this, but I thought that was interesing. Just thought I would let everyone know.
    IF FDC was down for 6 hours there would be a thread with about 200 posts by now

there was no such extended downtime in last 12 months

Not Truthful...

You arent being truthful. We are an ISP and we had some customers call in early this morning and were not able to access their website (their host has a dedicated or reseller account with yoU). It looks like now, AFTER you posted, the sites are available again. Its not a wise decision to not tell the truth.

One dedicated server or reseller account having issues or being down does not equate an entire companies network being down. It could have very easily been a configuration or hardware issue on that one machine.

Re: Not Truthful...

You arent being truthful. We are an ISP and we had some customers call in early this morning and were not able to access their website (their host has a dedicated or reseller account with yoU). It looks like now, AFTER you posted, the sites are available again. Its not a wise decision to not tell the truth.
    Bummer is right, there would be a post with quite a few replies if they had been down for 6 hours. Look at the posts that spring up when one person cannot access his box asking if anybody else can.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Yes, BUT

Yes, I know this, but their neither FDCServers, the reseller, OR the reseller's clients were availalbe for 6 hours, and when I posted this on another forum too, someone else said something about it, then it came back up. Also, there could have been hundreds of clients that were down, but they may have been at work or at school, so they may have never noticed it.

If I did cd /; rm -rf * nobody would be able to access the machine, but it would not be FDCServer's problem. You're talking about an incident with one server and/or on owner of a handfull of servers at FDC, this is far from FDCServers being down.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Not Now

As I posted, the data centers site has come back up, but it wasnt back up 15 minutes ago, anything you do now wont tell you jack because the data center's site itself is back up, FDCServer's site was inaccessible for over 6 hours this morning, and I had several people in several different states (clients, affiliates, friends, and family) check to see if they could access any of the sites of the reseller OR FDCServers' website and the COULD NOT. Are you saying that none of these people know what they saw? It was just a figment of everyone's imagination?
    Last edited by MyFocal; 06-02-2005 at 04:07 PM.

I've been able to access the FDC website and forums all day in fact I've made numerous posts on their forum today. I also have a server there that I use as an off-site backup and it has not been down at all. It sounds more like a routing issue more than anything else. Do you have any trace routes from when you say it was inaccessible?

No, I do not have any trace routes, sorry. However, if I go to www.dnsreport.com and enter some domains on FDC's servers, Im pretty sure all that pretty RED is not a good thing.

Aren't they adding AboveNET? If they do this and still offer the deals they do you can't really complain, although I wonder how weighted everything will be towards their cogent line.
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

Give it a rest...

Give Cogent a break, they have come a long way, just because they sucked years ago doesnt mean they still do, quit being so biased, they'll help you save money, geez.

AboveNet is up for the IRC line and is being added into the BGP mix for everyone else. Also they're adding more bandwidth from Cogent as well.

Are these domains hosted on the FDS nameserver? If not thats pretty irrelevant.

I don't think speed is 1/2 the problem. The real problem is support. I have 2 boxes there. Average reboot time = 30 mins to 5 hours. One of my boxes is down now. You submit a ticket and get a response once an hour if your lucky. I seriously think 1 guy supports it all.

Re: Not Now

As I posted, the data centers site has come back up, but it wasnt back up 15 minutes ago, anything you do now wont tell you jack because the data center's site itself is back up, FDCServer's site was inaccessible for over 6 hours this morning, and I had several people in several different states (clients, affiliates, friends, and family) check to see if they could access any of the sites of the reseller OR FDCServers' website and the COULD NOT. Are you saying that none of these people know what they saw? It was just a figment of everyone's imagination?
    I site I co-run was up all day. I would of heard about it, if it were down for even 5 min.

Sounds like your own box was down, or had issues. If FDC goes down for 10 min, ppl will rush here to post.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

I dont have a box there

I dont have a box there, I know what I saw, and I know what 10 or 15 other people saw, some peoples sites were inaccessible, whether you argue with me or not. This is my final post here, Im not one for arguing something that is obvious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast