Question Alien Chicken Eggs?

I was at the supermarket the other day and noticed a local farm was now selling eggs with them. They were about 30% more but I like helping the little local guys out when I can.

One thing I noticed and I showed my wife was these eggs are huge!! I mean like 30% larger than a normal jumbo egg I buy from the chains so I thought this is going to be great for breakfast.

So I get up this morning and pull out a nice giant egg, crack is and go to put it in the bowl and what the heck there are two yolks in it!! Being the crazy I am I pondered if this could somehow many the egg 'spoilied' or uneatable I tossed it not really thinking much of it and grabbed another and poof two more yolks popped out!

At this point I am very confused and even a bit scared as I can imagine it happening to two but two of them!! So I say what the heck lets live life dangerous today and I 'weed' one of the yolks out and grab another egg and well I am betting you can guess what happened next and yes there was another egg with two yolks in it.

My question is if this is normal and if anyone knows what causes it, can is be bad for me in anyway? Could this mean the chickens are sick in anyway? Should I call the FDA for more information? Does this mean the other 9 eggs are also going to be like this <cringe>

I will get some pics later so you can compare the two yourselves..

My grandmother in hungary, budapest had chickens and she collected the eggs every morning from her backyard.

Every now and then an egg would have two yolks in it... no big deal. Same way humans have twins sometimes. It's not harmful and you can eat them.

BUT... if a lot of the eggs have double yolks and the eggs I bet you that they are giving them chickens some crazy hormones. Because that is NOT normal at all. Just like they do with cows and everything else nowadays. Yuck.

Or it could be "normal" and I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Frosty; 05-14-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Double yolk eggs are common with young birds, if many eggs in the cartoon are doubles it simply means that the local farm you got them from has a large percentage of young birds in its flock. No worries, they're not mutant.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

See, I told you I might not know what I'm talking about.

Ok but what I am wondering is if these are young birds how are they pushing out the biggest eggs I have ever seen in my life? Could that mean hormones?

This I know.. when they have double yolks the eggs are naturally bigger to accommodate the two yolks.

But I've seen tapes on TV and posted here on WHT of how egg laying chickens are kept in those farms and it's nothing short of scary. Egg laying chickens are kept in cages so small they can't move an inch... they have almost no feathers and their beaks are chopped off (sheared off) and they can't excercise because there's literally no room to move in their dark small overstuffed cages. All they do is sit in one spot all day long and lay eggs day after day. Many die because of these horrible conditions. Poor little chickens...

There are pesticides and hormones in everything nowadays... get used to it and get ready for chemo when you get cancer

Well that is kind of one reason I picked a local farm and did not mind paying more because I figured they were probably a little nicer to the animals (possibly free range) and agin try to help a local farmer our.

I am all for animals being eaten and used for purposes to eat but I also do not think they should need to suffer the way I have seen on some sites so I guess I figured if this was some small local farm the chickens have a better chance of living a good life. Maybe I will find out exactly where they are and see if I can go visit them

Go give the chickens a visit a keep us posted

Normal eggs don't have double yolks that may explain the 30% higher price

kidding

Hmmm happened to me with the same type of eggs, they're like longer than the normal eggs and most if not all of them had two yolks. Funny thing is they're sold as "natural" farm eggs, they were also more expensive but they tasted just like normal eggs.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Originally posted by Frosty
    This I know.. when they have double yolks the eggs are naturally bigger to accommodate the two yolks.

But I've seen tapes on TV and posted here on WHT of how egg laying chickens are kept in those farms and it's nothing short of scary. Egg laying chickens are kept in cages so small they can't move an inch... they have almost no feathers and their beaks are chopped off (sheared off) and they can't excercise because there's literally no room to move in their dark small overstuffed cages. All they do is sit in one spot all day long and lay eggs day after day. Many die because of these horrible conditions. Poor little chickens...

There are pesticides and hormones in everything nowadays... get used to it and get ready for chemo when you get cancer
    Just some grease and batter... mmm.. fried chicken.