United Kingdom

Samba + Windows Domain Authentication

I am testing a little online project at the moment with our home network here.

I have a extremely reliable VPS so downtime isn't a problem yet, and i want to setup samba to be a domain authorisation master.

I want our windows pc's here (XP) to authenticate with samba on the vps i have.

Now i know how to set everything up (ish) and have tested it, now im stuck as i don't know what to enter in for the domain in windows, as everything i enter produces a domain controller not found error.

Now i know this will work eventually but need a helping hand to point me in the right direction if possible, you linux guru's out there, hopefully you guys can help me out.

I have never tried to join a domain across the internet, but I think you will need to establish a VPN with the server... or at least make sure the correct ports are allowed to hit the VPS

It will probably work, but the question is why?

What do you stand to gain by putting your PDC in a datacenter 1,000km from your pc's? You run a variety of security risks unless of course you do this via VPN.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +