View Poll Results: What is the best self defence class for a 13 year old?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Karate

0 0%
  • Kung Fu

1 16.67%
  • Judo

2 33.33%
  • Jujitsu

1 16.67%
  • Krung Thep

0 0%
  • Feng Shui

1 16.67%
  • Other?

1 16.67%

Best Self Defence Classes for Kids?

What self defence classes would be best for my 13 year old?
    & why is one better than the other?
    Last edited by Techno; 05-14-2005 at 12:29 PM.

While I'm biased towards Tae Kwon Do (Moo Duk Kwon and Shim Myung Do), I think it's best that you vist the different schools in your area and see which ones you enjoy. It's not just what style they teach, but how they teach it and how the discipline is.

Judo or Shorin-ryu.
    They are both defensive. Judo is a more wrestling/throw type style, whereas shorin-ryu is more simliar to Tae Kwon Do. Both are Japanese styles. Both are good...

It mostly all depends on the instructor of the class, and how long he has been training/teaching. I believe my old instructor had an age limit of 13 for Hapkido, which I only took that and Tae-kwon-Do for a brief time.

I am assuming this is a 13 year old boy?
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Originally posted by immortal9
    It mostly all depends on the instructor of the class, and how long he has been training/teaching. I believe my old instructor had an age limit of 13 for Hapkido, which I only took that and Tae-kwon-Do for a brief time.

I am assuming this is a 13 year old boy?
    correct - you will want to find a class - no matter what the art - that will be well suited with plenty of kids his age and no adults. this will be a good thing - mainly you shuold look for your kid to get discipline conditioning and coordination from the training and not necesarily how to whip somone. additionaly find one with a belts rewards system - children tend to thrive with this as they see a visible reward. kung fu is not based on this and is better for a little bit older group. I personally prefer kung fu however I sent my son through american karate.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

I took Tae Kwon Do as a kid and loved it.
    They taught about self defense and when it was appropriate to use your power.
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

You need another option "All of the above & none of the above"

Who cares what you call it, as long as it teaches a couple things:
    self discipline
    self control
    self confidence
    physical education

Call it "wobbly mobbly" as long as you kick and punch and learn to trust yourself and learn to not use it unless it's the only option and as long as you do some exercises and are taught to respect everyone as a human and as an equal.

My son takes "karate" I think they call it tae-kwon-do, who cares, as long as he gets a good workout, and as long as the teacher demands discipline and respect, and as long as they're taught that they are not to use violence except as a last resort.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Kickboxing would be my choice. You learn self discipline and learn to fight.

Originally posted by Dixiesys

My son takes "karate" I think they call it tae-kwon-do, who cares, as long as he gets a good workout, and as long as the teacher demands discipline and respect, and as long as they're taught that they are not to use violence except as a last resort.
    I care. And I'm sure you'd care if I didn't call you by your name but kept referring to you as "boy" or "it". Maybe you put your son in it just to keep him busy, but a lot of us doing the style because it's part of who we are and the philosophy of life that it teaches us. So before you go off saying "who cares", A LOT OF PEOPLE DO. It's Martial Arts and it's Tae Kwon Do. You may not be serious about the stye, but I am and I take a lot of pride in it. And I find it a little offensive you saying "who cares".

Besides, I'm not sure what the cost is for your son, but Martial Arts tends to be an expensive sport vs football, soccer, etc. I'm sure you'd want to KNOW what you are paying for instead of just "not caring".
    Last edited by Rob83; 05-14-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Originally posted by Rob83
    I care. And I'm sure you'd care if I didn't call you by your name but kept referring to you as "boy" or "it". Maybe you put your son in it just to keep him busy, but a lot of us doing the style because it's part of who we are and the philosophy of life that it teaches us. So before you go off saying "who cares", A LOT OF PEOPLE DO. It's Martial Arts and it's Tae Kwon Do. You may not be serious about the stye, but I am and I take a lot of pride in it. And I find it a little offensive you saying "who cares".

Besides, I'm not sure what the cost is for your son, but Martial Arts tends to be an expensive sport vs football, soccer, etc. I'm sure you'd want to KNOW what you are paying for instead of just "not caring".
    Haha ok so you care, I don't, call it whatever you want, I just want him to learn some discipline, confidence, a good sweat, and to learn about self defense and that you shouldn't use it unless it's the only option.

Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Jeet Kune Do or any of the other martial arts. The best 'fighters' have always been trained in multiple arts, not just one, they take the best of them all roll it into your own style.

Unless you're from the area of the asian continent where a specific style originates, why would you care what it's called? If you -are- from such an area or such a heritage then absolutely it matters to you, as for me it's not important what it's called.

My son goes to a very good school and it costs me plenty I don't care what they call their "style" I care that he comes home sweaty, full of respect for himself and others, and enthusiasm. Ballet or kick boxing or something in between, it's all that matters to me.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Rob83

woh baby.....settle down - I think the point gary was trying to get across was that there are basic things to be learned from whatever sport it is. many people have opinions as to what is best - its really what the person enjoys the most and learns from the most at that age. I did not find garys; coment offensive - and I hope you wont either on a second glance.

I am glad you are fervent for the style you have chosen - that is excellent!

I am the same way - as I mentioned - I have chosen wing tsun fung fu. But I also remember the basics that I am there to learn as you mentioned. and as children those basics are the more important thing than the particular style in my opinion.

smile man - its the weekend.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000