Is it possible to host a domain on two different servers (two different hosts)

Short and simple. Did a search on this on the net, can't work out whether it is possible or it isn't.

*I have a domain, it is currently being used to host my site through host #1

*I signed up for host #2, I eventually plan to switch things over to this host removing host #1 - but I was wondering if they could simultaniously share the same domain for a few days while I get things set up on the new host.

Probably a really moronic question that is simply put, impossible but I figured I'd ask.

2. Re: Is it possible to host a domain on two different servers (two different hosts)

Originally posted by 2SmIS
    Short and simple. Did a search on this on the net, can't work out whether it is possible or it isn't.

*I have a domain, it is currently being used to host my site through host #1

*I signed up for host #2, I eventually plan to switch things over to this host removing host #1 - but I was wondering if they could simultaniously share the same domain for a few days while I get things set up on the new host.

Probably a really moronic question that is simply put, impossible but I figured I'd ask.
    Good move. That's exactly what you would do when moving hosts. Keep host number one, sign up for number two, copy everything over to #2, make sure its working, then go to your domain registrar and change your dns. It may take a while for the domain dns pointer to propogate so some people would go to your old site and some would hit the new site. If your a high volume site you might wait quite some time maybe a couple weeks before discontinuing your old site.

Move files to new host. edit your windows hosts file with the domain and new ip. test your site.

Now remove this entry again, setup DNS arrangments for new server, and alter the DNS records on old host with all the A records etc pointing to new host.

All traffic pointed to old host should now be redirected to new host.
    All traffic correctly coming to your new server should be ok of course.

Works fairly smoothly.
    Perigee Global Corporation
    Design, Development and Hosting Solutions
    Dedicated Servers, CDN, Hosted E-Mail, Web Hosting, VPS & Cloud Servers
    1.212.400-7632 www.perigeeglobal.com