M$ to release "Eiger" a stripped down version of XP...

Trying to get people with older OS's and lower specs on their computers to run a lean version of XP.

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1815438,00.asp

Heh,no thanx.....Im happy on 98

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Not sure this'll sell too well. I support a customer with Pentium I to PIII machines with 64 megs of RAM & Windows95. They have 20 such machines at a remote location whose only purpose is to run as workstations for thin-client applications (Citrix) and basic web browsing with IE. Because their firewall protects their web browsers from all malicious content (ActiveX spyware, etc.), they'd have no need to upgrade.

I'd have to imagine anybody running such old workstations would use them in a similar setup. With the time, labor, and support involved with upgrading an ancient machine to XP (even this 'lite' version) most companies would probably opt for second-generation machines with XP Pro OEM pre-loaded.

And Dude I think your shift key might be broken, you keep typing "M$" Heh.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

I'd have to aree with Mike on this, I can't see a "lean" XP being a big seller. The clients I have that still have 9x machines around wouldn't upgrade. They either are using the systems as terminals to run Citrix (as those old workstations die they get replaced with WYSE terminals supporting ica), or are running some legacy application that requires 9x.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I see no point in upgrading from one pile of junk to another pile of junk
    Custom Cloud Solutions - innoix.com

Exactly my point

Why would people pay more money just so that they can have a nice blue and green start menu. IMO it's a pointless move, and looking at the pricing of M$ stuff, and the actual hardware, it's probably cheaper to upgrade the actual machines anyway.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

And they better watch out they don't get sued by Apple for the name. Sounds a little like "Tiger" to me haha.
    Imusion StudioPhotoshop Tutorials, Website Templates, Forum Skins, and much more!
    IS Host ReviewsNon-biased hosting ratings and reviews!

"Code-named 'Eiger,' the stripped-down version of Windows XP is designed for business users who want more security and manageability on older Windows PCs."

More security? Pfft. Most pc's I fix @ work are XP (spyware/virus joy), and due to users not doing the intended windows updates in the first place. Usually those with the older 9x / me machines are the ones with hardware issues.

So basically "pay us for a temporary operating system till u can buy our full operating system".
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Yea its garbage..........98se is My favorite OS of all time

I like most of the stuff MS puts out. I use WindowsXP and it's got some nice features. Why do that? They should just upgrade machines..

@The Dude: Have you seen this little gem? http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

On the few machines I've installed it on, it increased the performance of the machine quite a bit. Apparently from memory tweaks for machines that have >= 512 megs RAM.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Yup!!!!!

I have the first installment of this pack!!!!!! I havent upgraded to the latest one........

YES,its quite nice.......