hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : life in States ?

Forum Jump

life in States ?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

life in States ?

Hello,

I've been reading on couple of places what the basic life standards lately in US are, and I got very different pictures. They all say different things. I would like to ask you guys from USA, how is life there lately?
How much money you are making, are you satisfied, what is the cut that government is taking, how much you pay for food, and apartment rental, and general expenses? Do you feel outsourcing on your skin? How hard is to find a good job, etc?

This question would apply for all other countries out there. It would be very interesting to hear your story.

Thanks allot for all the answers.

B.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

They are ripping us for gas. $2.20/Gal. Considering I have a ~23 gallon tank, =50.6. At $7.50/hour I have to work 6 1/2 hours.

Anyway, hard to say "how much do you pay for food". What kind of food are you talking about?

Apartments are around $600-$700 where I live. Houses are $250,000+ (Lake Michigan)

Old
Web Hosting Master

Life in the USA is very good for me, I wouldnt want to be any other place!

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

For the most part, our standards of living, as a nation overall, are unparalleled in our afforded luxuries and privileges. However, this could all change in an instant, as some here are familiar with.

The average family income here is about $105,000. Homes here are currently averaging around $500,000 in the current real estate bubble, while, if there were to be one, I'd say the typical car is a 2004-2005 Japanese, German, or American car (Honda Accord LXs, Acura sedans and SUVs, Toyota Camrys, BMWs, Mercedes of all sorts, Porsches, high-end Ford pickup trucks and SUVs, high-end GM cars and SUVs, etc.).

EDIT: The above description applies to my local area, in Fairfax County, Virginia, USA, not to the country, by any means, as a whole.

On the whole, life in America is good.

Old
Web Hosting Master

$500,000 is certainly the higher priced living areas DC, Virginia, and Maryland are rather high priced areas. Where I am from homes range any where from $50,000 and up. Just depends where you want to live.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by doot
$500,000 is certainly the higher priced living areas DC, Virginia, and Maryland are rather high priced areas. Where I am from homes range any where from $50,000 and up. Just depends where you want to live.
Exactly. While housing prices will plummet if you go into Bailey's Crossroads, some parts of Arlington or Alexandria, and a lot of D.C., the housing prices out here in Northern Virginia (especially Fairfax and Loudoun Counties) are astonishingly high. A new housing project has been up behind our formerly serene, beautiful community, with homes "starting" in the upper $900s.

Old
Disabled

New York City:
Apartments: $1200 to $80,000 per month rent, depending on the location. In suburbs (i.e. brooklyn, queens, Staten Island Bronx it is on lower end, while in Manhattan, specially midtown, upper east side etc it is above what most americans make in an year).

Food: You can survive in $400-500 per person (that is when you are cooking at home and eating regular stuff, not the expensive one.)

Commute: MTA Metrocard Monthly pass is the best, $76/month, unlimited subway rides, and NYC has some 1000kms of subway tracks, and lots of buses.

House Prices:
in suburbs, 1BR apt (600 sq ft): is $130K, in manhattan, it is $750K.
1 family home in suburbs is $350K-$500K (lot area 2000-2500 sq ft, build area 1400-1600 sq ft.)
2 family home in suburbs is $450K - $1.2 Mil. (lot area 3000 sq ft to 5000 sq ft, build area 2000-2800 sq ft)

In Manhattan, 2 BR apt (1200 sq ft) start from over 1 million dollars and go upto 100+ million dollars (some big huge apartments). Independent homes are in millions too.

it is one of the most expensive city!!

Old

I lived in Northern Virginia area for awhile and did not like the traffic into Washington D.C. Jobs were plentiful and rent was beginning to escalate. That was in 1986 and I was paying $650 a month for a nice 2 bedroom apartment. I moved to North Carolina, hard to find a good job, lower cost of living. Rented a house for about $400 a month. Moved to Cincinnati, Ohio area. Jobs readily available at fast foot restaurants paying $6.00 per hour to $9.00 per hour. IT jobs were anywhere from $30,000 per year to $100,000+ per year. It varied greatly. Cost of food is on the rise, gas is on the rise (but no where near what some other countries are paying). I live in southwestern VA now and gas is averaging $1.95 per gallon.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Here is some info comparing US with NL.

US
-Population 296Mil.
-Average US inkome $40K
-Population below poverty line: 12% (35.5 miljoen people)
-Inflation rate (consumer prices): 2.5%
-Unemployment rate: 5.5%
-Average Public debt: $26K (65%)

The Netherlands
-Population 16.4Mil.
-Average US inkome $30K
-Population below poverty line: 3% (0,5 miljoen people)
-Inflation rate (consumer prices): 1.4%
-Unemployment rate: 6%
-Average Public debt: $17K (57%)

My own experiance

Most consumer products are cheaper than The Netherlands. If NL price index is 100
US is (not considering the cheap USD, so USD = 1 Euro)

Food : 85
Cars : 50
Gasoline: 45
Clothing : 90
Buying House: 80 (based on simular locations)
Renting a house: 120 (based on simular locations)
Healthcare: 150
University: 300

On average US citizens pay less tax and have an higher income. Life is cheaper, unless you rent. Scholing is expensive

If you have a high income, US is a good place to live. Yet there is a huge difference between Rich and Poor in the US.

With 35.5 miljoen of the population living under povertyline and 13 miljoen beeing homeless. Make sure you are part of the rich!

My 2cents

Last edited by Johnburk; 05-14-2005 at 04:56 AM.
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
They are ripping us for gas. $2.20/Gal. Considering I have a ~23 gallon tank, =50.6. At $7.50/hour I have to work 6 1/2 hours.
Please do not say the USA is expensive for gas. I live in Australia, and pay almost that amount per LITRE.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by whatever
Please do not say the USA is expensive for gas. I live in Australia, and pay almost that amount per LITRE.
In England it's typically about 0.81 per litre.

Old
Invented the Internet

Life is good. Taxes are insane (I pay around 28%) and the money is not well-spent, in my opinion. I'm amazed that we don't have free health care yet.

--Tina

Old
Texan at Heart

You might check out Sperling's Best Places. It all depends on what state you live in and what part of the state.

For example, I live in Los Angeles. Gas is about $2.70 or os a gallon. Houses in the particular area (Encino) are very expensive. The house I have now is about a 2-bedroom, 1 bath a little less than 1,000 sq ft. They are going for about $550,000. The house I grew up in in Bonham, Texas, is about 3,500 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 1.5 bath on 25,000 sq ft of land - valued at $32,000.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by doot
$50,000 homes ..

Homes here are $500,000+, apartments are in the thousands range.

Gas.. I read a post earlier of european gas being the equiv of $8/gallon , so I'm not going to complain =p

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Diaga
$50,000 homes ..

Homes here are $500,000+, apartments are in the thousands range.

Gas.. I read a post earlier of european gas being the equiv of $8/gallon , so I'm not going to complain =p
I will. I live in Texas. I dont live in a country like Brit where I could ride my bike across the entire country in a single day. How much gas could you possibly use there?

I was driving 300-500 miles per day in my truck, but making great money. Then I switched jobs and making double than before, and doing about 10 miles per day. On days where I have to deliver or pick up equipment for our DC, I might do 80 miles.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - April 4, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:22
Sony Unveils Cloud Gaming Service Web Hosting News 2014-01-09 10:58:57
The Difference Between the NSA and “Everyone Else” Blog 2013-10-22 11:57:14
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - March 28, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:13
Web Host AIS Launches AIS ClearCompute Life Sciences SaaS Platform Web Hosting News 2012-10-23 17:16:28