Unlimited Bandwidth Providers

I've been shopping around for a high bandwidth provider for sometime now and have come across 2 hosts offering unlimited bandwidth:

Brinkster
    and
    Midphase

I am personally skeptical as I'm sure many others are. I've checked google for reviews on the companies and have browsed these forums, but haven't noticed any substantial reviews on either. Since many of the people on these forums have first hand knowledge I was wondering how they stand up against each other?

Specifically, I'm curious as to what kind of transfer speeds these hosts sustain. Any one can offer you unlimited bandwidth but have horrible download speeds. I have been to some sites hosted by midphase and their loading seems a bit sluggish to me. I haven't been able to find any sites actually hosted under brinkster. I couldn't find any files to download on the midphase hosted sites either, to check transfer rates.

Maybe it's just a dream to have a cheap high bandwidth host, but I'd appreciate any first hand knowledge people can offer. I personally have no idea how much bandwidth I would be using, but I do expect to host a few videos, which will be bandwidth intensive.

Thanks,
    Mike

wh-hq . net

Good host, been with them for a while.
    I have the unlimited package.

Well I don't have any "first hand knowledge" but I guess you could say I got second hand knowledge, as I have a server with SM.

I know ServerMatrix (The Planet too? )has unmetered bandwidth servers. I know they use the Cogent network, you can search here and else-where for info about them.

Here you can find the bandwidth graphs for their Unmetered Carriers bandwidth graphs.

Hopes this helps a lil.

HalfChromo is looking for shared hosting.

I've checked google for reviews on the companies and have browsed these forums, but haven't noticed any substantial reviews on either.
    Did you try a search for with the option titles only? That should focus your search a bit. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s=

erik.hillis, may we know a site that you have with wh-hq.net?

If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Ya, I've searched the forums, and haven't really found any solid reviews, just blurbs from people here and there. erik.hillis is obviously a scammer, I don't think any one is gullible enough to fall for it though.

-Mike

Originally posted by CTG
    @ldcdc: http://www.whois.sc/urbancanada.com
    Thank you Mike. Too tired to realize that urabncanada.com stood for urbancanada.com.

8. "Unlimited bandwidth" is utter nonsense. Look at it from the point of view of the providers business: Bandwidth costs money, plain and simple. No one could possibly give you an unlimited amount of bandwidth for a fixed price, or they would loose money.

What they're really saying is either:
    1) they don't have a way to meter your usage, or
    2) their bitrates are slow enough that even maxing out their
    connection doesn't actually result in much utilization.

What you should really do is sit down and make an accurate assessment of your bitrate and total transfer needs. Then find yourself a provider that meets those needs for a reasonable price that leaves them some room for margin. Otherwise, you'll end up with a provider who has to under deliver to achieve profitability -- basically, you get what you pay for.
    [email protected]
    http://www.capacityservers.com

Fast network, exellent servers, great support.

Ditto Mr Capacity above, unlimited does not exist. Hell, sign me up for some unlimited hard-drives with unlimited bandwidth pipes and unlimited connections!

Best way is to actually work out how much transfer you will use, then go with a sustainable host that can meet your demands.

You'll find the 150gb transfer / month accounts for $2.50 are also as dubious as unlimited accounts.

Originally posted by erik.hillis
    wh-hq . net

Good host, been with them for a while.
    I have the unlimited package.

First post and this is what he has to say.... hmmm..

If you want tons of bandwidth, you should look into unmetered dedicated servers.

I agree with capacity reply, One should work out with an assessment of his bitrate and total transfer need before going for maximum bandwidth.

I have seen that some host are paying extra cost for extra bandwidth but they never use upto that extra limit.

Originally posted by erik.hillis
    Sorry about that ^ needed 5 posts to post this image:
    http://www.urbancanada.com/cpanel.jpg
    What was that for?
    You have only used 3.7G bandwidth and that doesnt proof that they will really provide unlimited BW.

It sais unlimited, therefore I will believe that it is unlimited until I am proven otherwise. Right now, I have no reason to believe that they will cut off my account if I "take up" to much or x, or y. However, if you operate a large site that takes up a tonne of space or room it can be understood why people are so quick to snap when they see "Unlimited Hosting."

Why is it so odd to see "Unlimited" nowadays?

First of all, it's a sales pitch... "We have unlimited this or that," and most of the sites that get regular hosting (as opposed to a dedicated server, which is what the big boys [should] have) will never be large enough to take up such a large ammount of resources that they would be "cut off". Unlimited hosting is real, but I agree only up to a certain point... if your site is getting tonnes of traffic and using lots of resources you should get your own dedicated server to cope... however, for small timers this isn't an issue. This dosn't mean that if say, my site gets 100 gb of transfer it will be cut off... thats silly.

Anyone care to sponsor a trip to Pluto to look for that unlimited hard drive which doesn't exist? Or possibly that unlimited backbone line which is actually merely on a 10MBit unmetered port (which is limited)?

Unlimited is something which obviously does not exist. Heck unmetered is even non-existent on shared hosting. Unmetered/Unlimited subdomains for example (merely means you can create as many as you want on your webspace which is limited, thus there is an indirect limit involved).

Simply put "unlimited" is merely a marketting tool used by many webhosts. Fact is we all offer unlimited something but when you see unlimited bandwidth or space the wise move would be to
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Unlimited hosting is real, but I agree only up to a certain point...
    That statement alone is contradictory and says it all. Unlimited doesn't exist as fact remains you will always meet some limit in one way or another.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

hmm .. im not here to trash you or what .. but just trying to tell you to be careful ..
    They might not cut you off by using too much of BW but the host themselves might be suspended if you used up their BW allotment ..

remember that every host is somehow another reseller of other host.
    They might get a BW allotment but oversell it to you. Thus, you will never know how much BW you can get before your host being suspended by your host's host .

This is not the case if your host are buying unmetered server but i do not see how the host can do this by offering that price without a loss.

No hard feelings here. Good luck

selling "Unlimited bandwith" hosting plans = selling "Oceanfront property in Arizona" at chap prices

And the quote of the month goes to eric.hillis for :

"Unlimited hosting is real, but I agree only up to a certain point...

Well, being a site owner who wants to migrate, I'd like to take part in the discussion too.
    I thought about MidPhase as they advertise unlimited bandwith. As far as I know MidPhase is a reliable host, supposed to be one of the best. At their site they wrote:

"If you do not qualify for the unmetered bandwidth feature, don't worry- you will still enjoy 60GB of bandwidth on the Mega-Phase package, 65GB on the Xtra-Phase, and 75GB on the Pro-Phase package!

The following types of websites do not qualify for the unmetered bandwidth feature:

• Download/File Archives - Websites that have a large number of downloads available. "

Please note that I do not host at them and am not paid and/or advertising.
    The question is - could it be that a reliable host uses unreliable ads? Unreliable principles of hosting?

I know ServerMatrix (The Planet too? )has unmetered bandwidth servers. I know they use the Cogent network, you can search here and else-where for info about them.
    Has any web host here has tried those unlimited bandwidth servers ?

If Yes, Can you plz share your experience?
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Kolkata office space lease - Posh office space available on lease in Kolkata

Originally posted by sharpnose
    Has any web host here has tried those unlimited bandwidth servers ?

Read the post again.
    It says unmetered, not unlimited.

There is a huge difference when it comes to a dedicated server.
    A server can only push so much data in a month. Unmetered means you can use the server to it's maximum output.

Hi blue27,

Thanks for correcting me. You're right.

Has any web host here has tried those UNMETERED bandwidth servers ?

I was going through Servermatrix offers:

Which offer would suit the best for a successful budget Web Host?

1) Super Resellerz

- Dual 2.4GHz Xeons
    - 2 x 200GB Drives (RAID 1)
    - 1024MB RAM
    - 1500GB Bandwidth
    - 100Mbps Ethernet Port
    - CPanel or Helm included
    - Orbit™ Customer Portal

- $259 Monthly / $99 Setup
    - $279 Monthly / $49 Setup
    - $299 Monthly / $0 Setup

OR

2) MatriXtreme Xeon 2.4

- Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz
    - 2 x 120GB Drives
    - 2048MB RAM
    - 20Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth
    - Private VLAN
    - Red Hat ES, Windows
    - Orbit™ Customer Portal
    - $399 Monthly / $99 Setup
    - $409 Monthly / $49 Setup
    - $419 Monthly / $0 Setup

1) Super Resellerz

- Dual 2.4GHz Xeons
    - 1024MB RAM
    - 1500GB Bandwidth
    - 100Mbps Ethernet Port
    - Orbit™ Customer Portal

OR

2) MatriXtreme Xeon 2.4

- Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz
    - 2 x 120GB Drives
    - 2048MB RAM
    - Private VLAN
    - Red Hat ES, Windows
    - Orbit™ Customer Portal
    Nothing from ServerMatrix suits any web host.

1) Super Resellerz

- Dual 2.4GHz Xeons
    - 1024MB RAM
    - 1500GB Bandwidth
    - 100Mbps Ethernet Port
    - Orbit™ Customer Portal

OR

2) MatriXtreme Xeon 2.4

- Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz
    - 2 x 120GB Drives
    - 2048MB RAM
    - Private VLAN
    - Red Hat ES, Windows
    - Orbit™ Customer Portal
    If you're spending that much, don't use a budget host like SM. Use ThePlanet, their bigger brother, or use another host such as LayeredTech/DedicatedPlace, which both seem to have a good reputation.