Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's go skydiving

hei has any of you guys ever done skydiving?

Welcome to the forums teen!

I have gone bungee jumping - actually out of a hot air balloon. I would love to go skydiving or something. I have spoken to some people - they either really enjoyed it or just did not understand all the hoop-la

Welcome! I've been skydiving three times. If you ever have the opportunity, do give it a go!

I did some student jumps back in the early 1980's. I was in the Navy at the time, but the dropzones were private sector. Being in the Navy made me less worried about the cost of a broken bone or something, although that never happened to me. I did once get kind of bruised when we misjudged the wind and I landed in the rocks. I never saw any fatalities, but they can occur. I saw a few bad-landing fractures. I don't know of anyone landing on top of a rattlesnake, but it always seemed like a theoretical possibility.
    I only got as far as 10 second delays. Then I got out of the Navy and had to worry about a shortage of money and lack of health insurance. My employment and insurance situation has improved since then, but I have found other interests.
    I think as you get past 5 second delays it gets to be more fun, because you're getting close to terminal velocity. By 12 seconds you're usually at terminal velocity. At terminal velocity the force of air friction equals body weight, so you fall at constant velocity, which feels more like floating than falling.
    It helps if you can jump a lot. It is instinctively scary, but usually at the end of a jump you feel ready to go again. As time passes between jumps the enthusiasm tends to fade and the anxiety increases. First jumpers often have less anxiety getting to the DZ and waiting to get on the plane, but feel increasing anxiety getting on the plane and going out the door. More experienced jumpers often feel anxiety earlier in the day that decreases as they get on the plane. Others have said this, and I noticed it myself.

I've never done bungee jumping. I would think that psychologically that could be tougher jumping into still air, at least for the first jump. Jumping from a plane you have the wind to give you a feeling of transitioning into your exit.

Yes, and it was fun. It was back in the time before they started doing the tandem jumps. So the first three jumps were static-line. After that you were allowed to do actual free-fall.
    I didn't pursue it though. This was back in college and when my parents found out they went a little ballistic, on the bright side they gave me the money to buy scuba gear and join the scuba club as long as I promised not to jump out of any more airplanes.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

When I was doing it, it was a minimum of 5 static line jumps. First two plain static line, and at least three good static line dummy rip cord pulls in a row. It took me a lot more than that, as I'd often bend at the waist or something before I got a good series of DRCP's.

I have never been skydiving but have always wanted to,
    not sure I actually could though.

Welcome to WHT!!!!!!

I hope your stay is a pleasant one!!!!!

Welcome Ashore!!!!!!!

I would be toooooooo scared to go sky diving!!!! (Unless i was over water or something)

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Welcome to the forums and no I haven't sky dived. But I would like to, along with base jumping and bungee jumping.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

Regardless what anyone here may tell you, never bungee jump from a helicopter

13,000ft - 45sec freefall, 7min desent - it was AWESOME. I'd do it again.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Originally posted by Webdude
    Regardless what anyone here may tell you, never bungee jump from a helicopter
    Much rather jump from a helicopter (less of a chance hitting the ground )

Originally posted by VanHost
    13,000ft - 45sec freefall, 7min desent - it was AWESOME. I'd do it again.
    Ditto.

I went skydiving a few months ago...I actually got it video taped.

http://www.bradjasper.com/SkyDiving.mpg

It was awesome. I really want to try base jumping.
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

I'm going in early june..parents bought me 3 tandem jumps for graduation....I'm not sure but I beleive after 3 or 5 tandems I get to go solo..

Originally posted by The Dude

I would be toooooooo scared to go sky diving!!!! (Unless i was over water or something)

The Dude
    Why? So it would hurt more when you hit?

Either way, I guess you wouldnt feel it... you would die..
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

Originally posted by theqase
    Why? So it would hurt more when you hit?
    I was thinking the same thing
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Do you have a extra parachute in case of emergency ?

Originally posted by CresHost
    yup of course!

HL

Thats mandatory.
    Anyway I watched a video of a man who landed in a crocodile farm.
    I will not go into detail what happened next.

Originally posted by CresHost
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

I've heard landing in water is riskier because there's a chance the parachute might wrap around you. Any truth to that?
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

Back in 1968, the U.S Navy sent me to Lakehurst ,NJ, to parachute rigger's school. The first test was to pack a chute and jump with it. No static line, free fall.

1 thousand, 2 thousand,3 thousand, pull thousand ,4 thousand, 5 thousand, 6 thousand, look thousand. If you didn't see an open chute, it's time to punch the reserve.

And if you landed and the rip cord wasn't in your hand...well it had better be in your hand.

It was a good experiance, but really, why would anybody want to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft?

edited to say WHEN you landed not IF LOL

Those who like Sky-driving seems so crazy to me My story: Once in senior school, I went to a swimming pool and go up to a high platform to jump into the pool. Firstly, I was so ambitious to jump by virtue that I saw my mates jump as quickly as they did when they arrive at the platform. However it's my turn to jump, I looked down the pool, it's all plain green water there. Suddently, my brain is blank....I was so scared......
    I admire those who go sky-driving by a plane very much, they are so encourageous.

Not crazy at all! If you do this at an approved "jump site," you'll be fine. Don't believe the counter-hype!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast