hosting industry worth ?

Regards people,

I surfed the net trying to get this information, but I couldnt find it. So I thought maybe you can help me.

Does anyone here know the information of how much hosting industry is worth, and how fast is it growing of falling?
    Or at least your fair estimate?

If you also know where to find the information, from qualified source, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks allot in advance,

B.

I couldnt say for sure how much it is worth. But it seems like everyday a new host is popping up and another is shutting down. Anyone can become a webhost and that is not a bad thing at all, but a lot of people dont take it seriously enough and sadly for their customers they soon after have to find a new host because the host they were with magically "disappeared". If you are interested in getting into the webhosting industry and are serious about it you could very well be a big host with a large client base. But beware if you arent willing to work for it and put in some time you dont really have a chance because of all the new hosts.

Good luck,
    Matt J
    XTR Host
    www.xtrhost.com
    Providing the Best Hosting at the Cheapest Prices!

I think it is somewhere in the range of 8 to 15 billion a year. It is larger than the music industry.

By 2006, the web hosting industry will be worth $20.6 BIL. I think that is the figure I read, it was definitely over $20 BIL anyway.

$20.6 BIL??

Wow. Don't tell Microsoft or Google about that figure please...

Hi guys,

Thanks alot for your input on this.

20 billion!?!? Thats awesome potential.

I would like if you would be able to show me some proven facts on this, where have you read that?

But anyways, sound pretty good. This business and industry can only grow. Its estimated that by the end of 2012 year, there will be 1.6 billion computers in the world, which is 50% more than there is today. That shows hosting industry and computer industry as a whole, have no choice but to grow, and the growth will be natural and expected. Good stuff.

More views welcome,

Thanks,
    B.

www.webhosting.info might show a good bit of information. Anybody else have any good sources?
    Imeanwebhosting.com - Shared cpanel hosting, 99.9% uptime.
    10 min average ticket responses, softaculous, rvsitebuilder, and more!
    Reliable, affordable shared hosting. I Mean Web Hosting!

I cannot remember the link where I found it I am trying to find it now, but I definitely know it was over (or very, very near) the $20 BIL mark.

Excepted forecast from Frost & Sullivan's 2004 Sector Forecast/Report- for what it's worth they are one of only a few that continues coverage on the sector Gartner and Forrester et. al do so sporadically at best. No actual 04/05 numbers are currently available- 20 billion seems rather optimistic

"3-Year Forecast and Outlook

In 2003, U.S. hosting revenues grew 9.3% to $4.45 billion. This is $27.3 million less than we had originally forecasted for 2003. Tracking the hosting market on a quarterly basis provides us with the ability to more accurately forecast long-range trends in the market. Based on 1H04 revenue data we have also revised downward our original forecast for 2004 from $5.1 billion to $4.7 billion. Hosting revenues in 2004 will have 4.8% growth. Stratecast Partners expects the hosting market to continue to grow revenues through 2006, albeit at a modest pace. "

Originally posted by Staff.ie
    $20.6 BIL??

Wow. Don't tell Microsoft or Google about that figure please...
    hi, i believe hosting is very different from software or hardware. there is no clear winner who dominated this industry yet. even 1and1 who have strong grow still not coming even close to own a big piece of market share like Dell does in hardware or Microsoft in desktop.

that's why i love hosting....it's everyone's game.

I think it also depends on what you count as hosting... Is a designer selling hosting hosting ? Is an ISP adding hosting to their dial up a hosting company. I guess that is why some guys say its 20 billion and others say its 5 billion.

Everything hosting should be counted hosting, right ?

Serious, the span of this business is what interest me, and I coudn't find anywhere the real information from some analyst groups or industry watchers, which is very strange. That kind of information for all other industries is much easier to find.

Cheers!

I suppose, in reality, there is no price on the hosting industry. Every day the industry is expanding and the worth growing. Maybe its $15 BIL, maybe its $30 BIL, I don't know. It would be unbelievably difficult to calculate the industry's worth, very, very difficult!

ok, after some more research, I found what I was looking for. Thank you all for your input in this thread. I really appreciate it.
    Here is what I found. You are welcome to discuss

http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/idc021202.cfm

February 12, 2002 -- (WEB HOST INDUSTRY REVIEW) -- The dot-com bubble has burst, corporate spending is in a holding pattern and enterprises are deferring e-business infrastructure technology and services purchasing. As a result, revenue growth in the U.S. Web hosting market has definitely slowed. The market which had approached $4 billion in 2000, representing a 100% growth over 1999, grew only 25.5% from 2000 to 2001. IDC research still shows revenue in the Web hosting services market will begin to accelerate in 2002 eventually reaching $20.8 billion by 2006.
    the source was IDC market research analyst group

There ya go! The link I was searching for!

In case you didn't notice, those figures that were talking about 4-5 billion were all US only numbers, whereas the 20 billion figure seems to be a global count, this could easily explain the gap between them.

Well, acctually, the figure shown is for the US market only. It's written clearly. We can just estimate the global market forecast, which can be pretty impresive, if nothing than at least +50% of the US alone, which is awesome.