View Poll Results: Is it ethical to download software you own legally, from IRC/Bittorrent

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 62.50%
  • No

9 37.50%

Question on Ethics

Okay, lets say that you are at home, and you find yourself needing to reinstall Windows XP. Now, let's also assume that you have a Dell that came with XP preloaded, but you can't find the disk. Is it ethical to download it off of IRC or a Bittorrent? What do you guys think?
    fraudservers.com - for sale!

If you use BT, because of its nature you will be helping others download that file which is nor legal nor moral. Contact Dell and ask for replacement.

Re: Question on Ethics

Originally posted by Atomic Haven
    Okay, lets say that you are at home, and you find yourself needing to reinstall Windows XP. Now, let's also assume that you have a Dell that came with XP preloaded, but you can't find the disk. Is it ethical to download it off of IRC or a Bittorrent? What do you guys think?
    Good question, i'd say ethically, - no, because you are making use of an illegal "service".
    In reality, i'm sure many people would do so as it would be easier and quicker in most cases.

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

As long as you use your serial key (and it works), then all you are doing is getting a copy of the files, as you own a license to use those files. I see no problem with it.

Re: Re: Question on Ethics

Originally posted by effusionx1
    Good question, i'd say ethically, - no, because you are making use of an illegal "service".
    Bittorrent is in no way an illegal service.

I voted yes, as you purchased the license, and thus you have the right to access and use that software.

run Linux, Problem solverd... anyway
    If you own a license it does not matter what Media you use as long as it is the same media as you have a license for (windows xp license, windows xp media etc)
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

I voted yes.

If you have bought the software previously, and have the serial key and use that serial key, then I see no problem with it. You've paid for the software and misplaced the CD or the media it came on, that does not mean you're not entitled to the software.

Originally posted by Teh_Winnar
    run Linux, Problem solverd... anyway
    I think linux sucks as a personal computer only good for servers. IMO

My answer is pretty much the same as everyone elses. Download it if your copy is legal.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Linux isn't that bad. It's just different.

Although I do believe Linux can be very good used as a personal computer operating system, I don't think it's the solution to every problem. There are a lot of programs in Windows which don't have any equivalents in Linux.

The only problem is that security experts have estimated that around 50% or more of the downloads from those sites contain some form of malicious code. I heard that from a speaker from the Gartner Group about 2 weeks ago.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

It's very simple to ring up Microsoft and get a replacement - but since you ordered it from Dell you may have difficulties... - try ringing them... I believe you can get them sent out for about 5-10. Which isn't too bad - covers the cost of the CD & a little admin fee & postage.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I feel it's wrong. Sorry..

I have often wondered this very same question when I lost my Windows XP disk and didn't want to pay Dell the $20 "shipping" fee to "expedite" it out here.

Although you technically own a license, the copy that you are downloading is most probably being used illegally by people without a valid or legal license, and thus you are encouraging the distribution of pirated software, even if you yourself possess a legally purchased key to the software. When you download a torrent, you also share with the tracker. Therefore, you are spreading this software to others who are most likely using the software illegally. Hence, I voted "no."

That isn't to say I or anyone else on here may or may not have done the above at one time or another ; but, if you're asking about ethics, yes, I think it's wrong.