LayeredTech == Web Hosting Nightmire

Have been their customer for 2 months and their uptime is about 80% at best ( maybe between 50% to 80%, i don't want to be mean so let us go with the better one). they oversell their hosting package.

Fact 1: i bought a 2000mb plan and i used only 100mb or so but Cpanel refuse to run saying root disk full. They cheated me by saying relocating my host to a new server but they never did it.

Fact 2: Their router fail constantly. The longest outage during my 2 month hosting time is one week. Emails sent to them couldn't reach them because router problems. Their router failure contribute to their major outage time.

Fact 3, I sent email asking for terminating my host plan with them 3 days ago only get the email bounced back today. Their email server fail too.

With those things happening how could they do web hosting business? Somebody just need to suspend their license and end the misery for possible other customers.

I've been a LayeredTech customer for almost 2 months too, haven't had any problems yet and my server has been online for 41 days since the last time I restarted.

They have always done what I've requested, but I have to admit, their support isn't very good. I ask them a question and I don't get a reply until a week later, and after explaining it in greater detail 2 times or so, and resending it.

Overall, I've had no outages, just the support could do with some 'tuning up'!

Are you two talking about the same Layered Tech? The Layered Tech I know rent servers only, not hosting packages like you mentioned.

Could you give us an URL? Thanks.
    ACcomunica

Yes, you're right. It mentions a 2000MB plan. I am talking about www.layeredtech.com, unless you mean a different one.

I have been with LayeredTech for almost a year and a half and I have never had a problem with them or there servers, and i have never seen them offering webhosting.

lionel3,

You may want to look into getting your server managed, as I believe the LT servers are fully unmanaged and that whole 'root partition full' is your issue to fix - not theirs.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Originally posted by ACcomunica
    Are you two talking about the same Layered Tech? The Layered Tech I know rent servers only, not hosting packages like you mentioned.

Could you give us an URL? Thanks.
    I think so. i bought the shared hosting plan from someone who resell LayeredTech servers. The oversale might be from the reseller but the routing problems is LayeredTech related.

i give you my traceroute today done about 2 hours ago. i am from 202.*.*.* block ( Asia Pacific).
    Layeredtech routers just could not route correctly, I coun't not visit my host, neither could i visit layeredtech website with their always failing router.

Tracing route to layeredtech.com [72.21.34.34]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 18 ms 19 ms 19 ms 202.97.67.121

2 47 ms 46 ms 46 ms 202.97.40.249

3 45 ms 45 ms 45 ms 202.97.33.130

4 343 ms 337 ms 331 ms 202.97.51.222

5 281 ms 232 ms 228 ms 202.97.49.130

6 421 ms 418 ms 418 ms aer1-gigabitethernet4-4.LosAngeles.savvis.net [208.173.55.197]

7 346 ms 327 ms 328 ms aer1-port-channel-2-0.LosAngeles.savvis.net [208.172.47.76]

8 * 465 ms 462 ms 204.70.192.85

9 464 ms 463 ms 467 ms bcs2-so-6-0-0.Dallas.savvis.net [204.70.192.50]

10 459 ms 471 ms 466 ms bcr2-so-1-0-0-500.Dallas.savvis.net [204.70.193.21]

11 454 ms * * ohr1-pos-1-0.FortWorthda1.savvis.net [208.172.129.230]

12 360 ms * * csr1-ve240.FortWorthda1.savvis.net [216.39.64.34]

13 450 ms 452 ms * 216.39.69.50

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.
    Trace complete.

I've been with Layeredtech directly ever since Tomsyer disappeared, and I've not had a single problem with them. Network is great, very quick support.

lionel3 wrote:
    >i bought the shared hosting plan from someone who resell LayeredTech servers.

Then you should be complaining about the someone you directly bought your plan from.

Originally posted by aingaran
    I've been with Layeredtech directly ever since Tomsyer disappeared, and I've not had a single problem with them. Network is great, very quick support.
    Well my 2cents,

1 don't go with CHEAP hostings, not going to worth it with your time. Expect surprises with CHEAP hosting.
    2. buy from datacenter or tier-1 ISP directly, don't buy from resellers. datacenter have a precisous reputation to risk with, resellers have lesser worry about that.

The host in my signature is decent. it is a malaysian ISP and they send me event notice in PDF file every month before their planned server maintainance time.

neither layeredtech nor the guy who resell me layeredtech hosting cared to tell me what they were cooking with their router. Their router could fail anytime without any notice. and could resume to work the next day and fail again the day after tomoorrow. it is just too tiresome when you get hosting like that.

If i pay more bucks and buy from savvis directly, the story might be different, who knows.

Am I missing something here, Why would Layeredtech have any involvement in this?

lionel3,

serverunion is correct - layeredtech does not have ANY reason to tell you a thing.

It is up to your host to notify you of any layeredtech maintenance, the same way savvis does not have to notify you of a thing.

You should be moaning about your current host - neither the hardware provider or upstream provider.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

13. Originally posted by aingaran
    Same here.

Dude, complain to your host, not about their upstream / server provider.

Also, do you know that your host uses LT hardware? Or is it their own? How badly are they loading the servers? If they're using their own hardware, do they have switches or routers between them and LT? etc etc

This is unlikely (judging from everyone else on here, and my own experiences) to be an LT issue.

And you complain about support - that's CERTAINLY your host... you should have no contact with LT support, unless I'm missing something?
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

The only thing he has to say is the routing really, and if you contact your reseller and then have them contact LT about it, LT normaly do a good job in trying to fix it. LT are known for there quick support and nice servers but there server setup times are slow but they have some fast deployment servers out at the moment.

A summary of the thread so far:

Idiot poster is complaining about LT service when he is really using a reseller. While his complaints are about network hardware, LT has no obligation to inform him of every detail. That is the role of the reseller.

That is why I am blaming Grey Goose for my headache today instead of my lack of will power to stop after 2-3 drinks.

HAHA, that was fun reading all that....People need to think before they speak...errr post.
    Neil McGeehan
    Reseller Web Hosting - At YouGotHosting, we provide affordable, reliable, dependable web hosting.
    Providing quality service since 2002

Ahead of all - the poster sounds a techy guy and yet he blames LT instead of blaming the reseller? Amazing....
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting Dedicated Servers Domain Names
    Custom Web Development Mobile Application Development SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Actually after a little poking around, what I see are issues with the server not responding, not issues with the router. The server is being badly run by the host who leases it. That is not Layered Tech's problem, they only provide a server, it's up to the host to run it. A badly-run server can have failed services and end up with a traceroute that looks like a downed router, but in fact is just the server running poorly.

Just thought I would clarify.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Originally posted by bithost(NET)
    Actually after a little poking around, what I see are issues with the server not responding, not issues with the router. The server is being badly run by the host who leases it. That is not Layered Tech's problem, they only provide a server, it's up to the host to run it. A badly-run server can have failed services and end up with a traceroute that looks like a downed router, but in fact is just the server running poorly.

Just thought I would clarify.

Bailey
    Thanks for making that clearer, I hope the OP comes back to read that. I have never used LT but I would hate to see a good provider have their reputation sullied by someone who is not even a customer.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

LT is certainly a good provider, and customers need to be more aware of who to blaim when things go wrong!