Thread: db Hosting Only

db Hosting Only

Example for a particular scenario :

I have 3 sites at 3 different web hosts.

All 3 sites may have different content - cars, books and homes.
    Even though each of these sites will have their own db (3 db total), I'll need a common db for all - say user info - this is so that all users can log into all 3 sites with same username and password.

For this I need a host that hosts SQL db ONLY.
    Where can I get such a host - MySQL, MS SQL, PostgreSQL etc.
    I would prefer a Co that is specialized in db hosting only. It obviously should allow remote access - NOT localhost - because that would be impossible ! Im not looking for a host that has web-host and db-host separately but allows db-host only if you're singed up with the web-host package also.

I hope I made my point clear.

Thanks

Ideally you want as short a path from web server to database to maximise performance.

Could you not use one of your existing site's databases for the "master" database ?

It doesnt allow remote connection - just localhost. So I wouldnt be able to access the db from other 2 sites.

I presume the host wouldn't add the addresses of the other web servers (even for a fee) to their firewall ?

For MySQL, you could always set a named user and use it remotely.

There is a company MyHosting http://myhosting.com/ApplicationHosting/SQL.asp which caters for MS SQL hosting. They are the ones who run Mail2Web.com

Of course the issue about the shortest path is something very important to consider as it would reduce the latency.

eddy2099 : The MS SQL one at myhosting is min $300 a yr - thats real expensive me - Webstrike Solutions has a separate server for MS SQL for $100 a yr which Im thinking of taking but Im looking for something below $100 - if not I'll signup for Webstrike's one.