Lightbulb Who owns the data

In my last thread: Running out of money. Need advice please ,
    the issue was what to do when we want to freeze our hosting account.

Your answers were varied:
    From 'leave them and find yourself a better hosting company' to 'why should they need to fund you'.
    Some of you have suggested that we can compromise on a small server untill we our business goes live again. Thats's quite fair enough for both sides.

Reminder (I don't want to bump): Their data center is one of the best (a NASDAQ company), their sales reps, in essence, are not reliable at all.

So now we decided we can't afford a not reliable sales rep,
    instead, to have the data with us.
    The problem:
    Can we ask them to send us the Hard Drive?
    Their data center offered us to send us the files via CD, or to pour the data to our HD.

I have two HDs their:
    The main is rented
    The other one (self poured backup) is mine (been pruchased from them).

So, can we ask them to send us the Hard Drive?
    Last edited by IWillNeverGiveUp; 05-13-2005 at 05:21 AM.

Was the second harddisk really purchased or it was one of those one-time payment in lieu of the monthly charges ? If it was the latter then they own the harddisk.

Some datacenter may offer to sell you the harddisk at whatever cost they decide on, some don't.

There is no norm here or market practise and vary from company to company so you should be checking with them what is acceptable for both you and them.

We cannot decide for you here and we cannot determine what the datacenter is supposed to do because partly we do not know which datacenter you are referring to.

Originally posted by eddy2099
    Was the second harddisk really purchased?.
    Yes. 100%.

We cannot determine what the datacenter is supposed to do because partly we do not know which datacenter you are referring to.
    I'm not sure it's suitable to post their name here. Just their sales rep is not reliable.

IF you own the second hard disk could you just copy all the data onto it and get them to ship it? Also I would advise making a remote FTP backup or similar in case it gets damaged/lost in transit

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Originally posted by vaserv
    IF you own the second hard disk could you just copy all the data onto it and get them to ship it?
    Because it's just a poured data inside. Only the files are not the complete system.
    FTP already been done!

What do you mean by 'poured data' ? Do you mean just file backups ?

I've not known a situation where you could own a harddisk as most datacenter would offer a harddisk for a one-time pricing, usually 2 to 3 times the market price in lieu of monthly fees and they will take back the harddisk once you terminate the lease of the server. As I do not know who you are hosting with, I will take your word for it.

You are free to post your web host name as most of us have done, there is no rules against it. However, the only thing is more because of the privacy policy, web hosts are not supposed to identify their customers details in public. That's the only rule that I know.
    Last edited by eddy2099; 05-13-2005 at 06:26 AM.

Don't need to bother about emailing me the company name, if you do not want to make it public, it is your right.

Contact the web host directly and see what they have to say. In the end, it is really between them and you.

We are just bystanders here with no power to influence anything.

In the end, it is really between them and you.
    This is all that needs to be said in this thread.

IWillNeverGiveUp,

I would recommend not having them send the HD - what if something goes wrong?

Mail gets lost, xray screws it somehow, etc?
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Because it's just a poured data inside. Only the files are not the complete system.
    FTP already been done!
    Not sure what you mean by complete system. If you mean the server OS/system files they are under no obligation to do so.

If you have already downloaded all your accounts content and information, just ask them to ship you any hardware you own and the data on CD (an extra backup never hurts). Have them ship it however via a carrier that has insurance to cover damage as opposed to just loss (such as the Post Office).
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

At last; web host name disclosed: Interland

There is a unique DNS system inside.

1. I asked them do reserve the IPs when moving to a small server,
    They answered: You have first to pay the tech support to see if that is applicable.

2. Tried to pay to teck support.
    -Page not found.

3. Asked their sales rep to reserve IPs
    - He answered (without consulting the tech support) - You can't reserve IPs

4. Asked to send us the daily backup via CDs as the tech support suggested.
    Sales rep haven't answered.

5. Asked the sales rep to send us the main disk
    -He answered - It's ours.

6. The main HD is theirs. The backup HD is ours.
    -No trade availble.

7. Asked again the rep to send us the main disk by paying full and extra money.
    -No answer.

I don't understand how can a NASDAQ company be so bad to their current clients.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but if the secondary harddisk is yours and they are prepared to ship it to you, why not backup everything you need to backup from the main harddisk to the secondary one and that way, you have everything in that one harddisk. this will solve your 5,6,7 issues.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but if the secondary harddisk is yours and they are prepared to ship it to you, why not backup everything you need to backup from the main harddisk to the secondary one and that way, you have everything in that one harddisk. this will solve your 5,6,7 issues.
    You know I always appreciate your thoghts and suggestions. Thanks for being so kind!!
    I'll FTP the material, then copy it to the Backup HD. The downside of this is that on the Main HD, we have it all inside, while by backing up to the Secondary HD, it's a file backup; It requires data restoration which may engage us with data corruption, file loss, DNS problems, and readjustments of the settings.
    Interland can easily solve it, by sending us the Main HD, and have an unhappy client, but literally a dumb one; I'm not sure threads like this will get them many clients.

The norm is really that if it is their hardware, they get to keep it. I've not heard of any which offers their harddisks for sales apart from the time when it fails you want it back to do data recovery.

Their offer of the CD is really going above and beyond their duty. Not sure how far they can go anyways.

All the bests.

Thumbs up

The norm is really that if it is their hardware, they get to keep it. I've not heard of any which offers their harddisks for sales apart from the time when it fails you want it back to do data recovery.

Their offer of the CD is really going above and beyond their duty. Not sure how far they can go anyways.

All the bests.
    Have a great week!!