question about hosting mp3s

hey people. I need a hosting that would host mp3s, but i will not share these mp3 files. What i need this hosting for is to upload music and then put it on myspace.com
    The music will only be playing in the background and wont be downloadable. WOuld i have trouble finding such host? I'd need something cheap as well, not too much space or banwidth

You should not find any problem in finding the host which provides midi/mp3 files to be hosted along with the webpages. You can confirm with them before you sign-up with them. But it is to be noted that even if the files are not downloadable it is bound to utilize the resources. Therefore you will have to spend on the bandwidth with the host that you will be looking forward to.

Do you own the copyright to these MP3's or are they commerical?

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Technically speaking, a mp3 file is just like any files on the website so there is no issue there. The only main issue is really whether you either own the copyrights to the music or have explictly rights to use them apart from private enjoyment.

Technically if you donīt own the copywrite then even just playing them on a website is illegal. Although generally speaking the RIAA wonīt be on you for playing a song, it is still a risk to consider and if your hosting company was checking everyones files closely they might have a problem with it.

I'm sure that's not very legal since you don't know the copyright. I don't think anyone will knowingly give you a hosting account if you plan to host copyrighted mp3s.

I wanted to host a site for similar things - ebooks - but these are mostly typed by others from text-books into pdf format or just scanned . Are these illegal ?
    Thanks

Originally posted by anjanesh
    I wanted to host a site for similar things - ebooks - but these are mostly typed by others from text-books into pdf format or just scanned . Are these illegal ?
    Thanks
    If you have explicited permissions from the copyright owners then you should be alright but if you do not have that then it would have been illegal.

But these books are old ones - not the new ones - say published more then 5 years back.

5 years is not very old.

The standard copyright period for books would lapse 50 years after the author has passed away.

http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/copyright-pro.htm

If you are unsure, write to the copyright owner and ask. You don't want something like that to haunt you later.