Thread: backup service

backup service

Hi!

Does anyone now some REALY fast ftp or rsync backup service.
    I have one now (I won't say at which company because I don't want to ruin bissines for anyone) and it is really cheap but their lines are slow lately. I need something really fast. Any sugestions?

And one more thing: are ftp transfers in general faster then rsync or scp?

Thanks. Best Regards.

I would highly recommend bqinternet (www.bqinternet.com / www.bqbackup.com). They are extremely reputable and offer a terrific service.

FTP will generally be a bit quicker than rsync/scp as there is no encryption overhead, on the otherhand, rsync will also compress on the fly. In general, rsync is the best for any backup applications.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

rsync is different than ftp and scp in that it only transfers what changes. the first time it'll be the slowest, but every time after that it'll be much faster and easier on your bandwidth.

Yes, rsync is usually faster for frequent backup. I can also highly recommend bqinternet.com. Scott's running a great service there at very reasonable price.

Originally posted by mkc
    rsync is different than ftp and scp in that it only transfers what changes. the first time it'll be the slowest, but every time after that it'll be much faster and easier on your bandwidth.
    I want to fortify, rsync is currently IMO the best way to backup .

Gil.
    Best regards,
    Gil - ZoneServ.com.

I was reading that rsync sometimes will backup the MySQL databases in a corrupted form. Is this true? Would I have to do a seperate MySQL dump?

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Yes, I understand that rsync is best because it transfers only what was changed, but I am worried about situation when I would need to restore my backups. I need to do it as fas as it is posible, so having that situation in mind is ftp quicker than scp or rsync? (I assume that rsync uses scp itself)
    Hope you understand me better now.

Thanks for replies. Regards.

I was reading that rsync sometimes will backup the MySQL databases in a corrupted form. Is this true? Would I have to do a seperate MySQL dump?
    You usually can't directly backup the binary files of any database, unless there hasn't been any changes during the time you start the backup and there aren't any open file descriptors. For MySQL, you should either dump the DB to an SQL file (mysqldump), or there are ways to back up the binary files themselves and then rsync. I wrote a previous post about some of the binary backup options here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=401300

Originally posted by elix

Cheers
    In most cases the file should transfer in a restorable form, but it's much safer to create MySQL dumps before running a backup.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

I would say www.bqbackup.com also. I have been using them as an offsite backup for my total control servers. Transfer send to their backup server between 12-16mbps.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I believe I will be using rysnc in a combination with a MySQL dump for each database.

Cheers
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by Dactyl
    Check out gnax, http://www.gnax.net/backup/index.php
    Seconded.

For such a task I would recommend making a basic shell script to auto remove old db.sql files/write the new ones nightly (or however often) as well as properly chown/chmod'ing them against tampering, and then setup rsync to read that folder when the backup runs. Would probably be the easiest/safest method of backing up mysql databases. Plus it would be simple to just add in additional mysqldump lines/chmod lines into it then.

Just a suggestion on this regard.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Simple way to run nightly MySQL dumps? Create a shell script like this, and have cron run it each night:

#!/bin/sh
    mysqldump --opt -u root --password='yourpassword' yourdb > /backup/mysql/yourdb.sql
    mysqldump --opt -u root --password='yourpassword' yourdb2 > /backup/mysql/yourdb2.sql
    mysqldump --opt -u root --password='yourpassword' yourdb3 > /backup/mysql/yourdb3.sql

Be sure to chmod 700 the script so that your password is not exposed, and the same to the backup directory (after you create it).
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

mysqldump is fine if you're looking to transfer your DB to another machine and rebuild it, but strictly for backup purposes it's much slower (both for backups and restores) than the other methods I referenced in the link I posted. I think there are more elegant ways to backup MySQL than doing an SQL dump and using rsync; I'd suggest checking out mysqlsnapshot or mysqlhotcopy plus rsnapshot. rsnapshot is a great little utility based on rsync that makes it easy to automate the process of archiving snapshots of your data. If you do experience an incident of database corruption, your downtime will be significantly lower using one of the above methods rather than rebuilding from an SQL dump file.

Originally posted by galantina
    Yes, I understand that rsync is best because it transfers only what was changed, but I am worried about situation when I would need to restore my backups. I need to do it as fas as it is posible, so having that situation in mind is ftp quicker than scp or rsync? (I assume that rsync uses scp itself)
    Hope you understand me better now.

Thanks for replies. Regards.
    Recovering from rsync is just as fast. It keeps the two file systems in sync, it is not a full/incremental backup scheme where first you need to restore the latest full then apply incremental recovers.

In fact, if you really insisted, you could use rsync to send files to the backup server then FTP them back down if you ever needed them.

I suggest rsync, too, but to backup a mysql db ...

try phpmybackuppro.

Leonardos
    Website developer: php, mysql, apache.
    jwHelp.com customer support sofware